Radio Master TX16S & OMP T720 & S720

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I would like to use a Radio Master to control an OMP T720 & S720. I have done a Google search and found some videos. But the videos are not for newbees in my opinion. I understand that there is a micro SD card that can be programmed. I don't want to make a mistake and download the wrong files. They assume you know more about down loading files. I wish there was a simple list of doing things. The last video that I saw was from 2020. Is there any new videos ? I was hoping Buddy RC would have a new video or too. I am a 71 year old rookie. :) Always learning to know new things. I hope you guys can understand where I am coming from.

Thank you for any help or pointing me in the right direction,
Al

Bricks

Master member
Which Radiomaster do you have and what protocol does OMP use that would be the big questions.

bigdano711

From the title, it looks like he has a RadioMaster TX16S. A quick google search shows the OMP T720 as an RTF.

https://ohiomodelplanes.com/products/t720-with-gyro-716mm-wingspan-rtf?variant=30110088888363

Did this plane come with a transmitter (Tx) and built-in/pre-installed receiver (Rx)? I'm thinking you may have to rip that out and go with an Rx and gyro that is compatible with the TX16S. Did you already buy the TX16S or are you thinking about it?

I applaud your efforts to get into this hobby and learn new things! This is a great community of helpful folks.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
From the title, it looks like he has a RadioMaster TX16S. A quick google search shows the OMP T720 as an RTF.

https://ohiomodelplanes.com/products/t720-with-gyro-716mm-wingspan-rtf?variant=30110088888363

Did this plane come with a transmitter (Tx) and built-in/pre-installed receiver (Rx)? I'm thinking you may have to rip that out and go with an Rx and gyro that is compatible with the TX16S. Did you already buy the TX16S or are you thinking about it?

I applaud your efforts to get into this hobby and learn new things! This is a great community of helpful folks.
it says it’s dsmx and omp protocol. Idk if the tx16 has exactly the same protocol (omp), but if it does, It should work. If not try using dsmx.

alan0043

Hi bigdano,

I am thinking about going with the Radio Master TX16S. That way I only need one transmitter for some of my different planes. I did find a video were there is a guy using the Radio Master to fly his OMP T720. He said he used the receiver that came with the plane and bond it to the Radio Master. He talked about downloading firmware to the micro SD card that comes with the radio. I am confused how he did the download. I don't want to mess up the SD card and cause the transmitter problems. That is the big reason why I am asking these questions. I was hoping that someone had a video that didn't assume you had any computer experience. Even if there was an article about the subject would be a big help.

bigdano711

Looks like the TX16S can definitely fly your model if you flash the firmware. "Flash the firmware" is a fancy way of saying update the transmitter (Tx) with the latest release. That being said, it is very important you do it properly. I found this guy with your model. Is this the video you're talking about?

Here's a video showing how to update firmware:

You may not even need to update the firmware. Looks like your plane is on the DSM2/DSMX protocol, which the TX16S can definitely handle.

This is quite a bit of radio and will require that you study the manual and all tutorial videos out there. Good luck!

Last edited:

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Looks like the TX16S can definitely fly your model if you flash the firmware. "Flash the firmware" is a fancy way of saying update the transmitter (Tx) with the latest release. That being said, it is very important you do it properly. I found this guy with your model. Is this the video you're talking about?

You may not even need to update the firmware. Looks like your plane is on the DSM2/DSMX protocol, which the TX16S can definitely handle.

This is quite a bit of radio and will require that you study the manual and all tutorial videos out there. Good luck!
Im thinking about getting one in a couple of months

alan0043

Hey DanO,

That is the guy. Thank you for posting the videos. I will take a look at the another video also. I would hope that the transmitter is shipped with the latest firmware. I believe that fellows video is from 2020.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
It usually does not come with current OT software if it is just DSMX then it should work out of the box as I have bound many DSM2 and DSMX receivers to my Radiomaster TX16s. You would use DSM as the protocol in the TX16s there is a update for the transmitter and the multiprotocol module but I do not believe you would need to, I didn`t when I first received mine. From a true blue Spektrum guy bought the Radiomaster TX16s just to see what all the hulabulue was about.

alan0043

Hi Guys,

Well I did it. I have a Radio Master TX16S ordered. :) I'm going to learn something new or pull my hair out. The funny thing is that I don't have much hair on top of my head. :D I did a search I found what I think is the latest firmware. It looks like version is 2.3.14 from 07-13-2021. I am hoping that when the transmitter comes it has that firmware on it. If it does, I shouldn't need to update a thing. That will be interesting to see how I can find what firmware version is on the transmitter / SD card. I am hoping that the OMP protocol is there. Doesn't Spectrum use DSMX ? Do you guys think that OMP uses DSMX ? If that is true, then you could use a Spectrum transmitter for OMP models. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to put out the wrong info. ;)

Please keep the input coming,
Al

Bricks

Master member
Your new TS16s should not need any updates even if an older version, I would leave any updating alone until you understand how it all works. Most of the updates are just adding extras that you may never need or use like changes to Lua scripts and such. The update to the multi protocol module is just adding more protocols that down the road you may want if you buy a lot of the off the wall stuff like the toy quads and such..

Don`t update unless the update is something you actually need and use, your radio will work just fine the way it is. When ready to update then I would switch to the Edge update which enables the touch screen function, when I do update that is what I will use but they have a few bugs yet to be worked out, it is very useable in it`s present state if one knows and understands what they are doing..

alan0043

Your new TS16s should not need any updates even if an older version, I would leave any updating alone until you understand how it all works. Most of the updates are just adding extras that you may never need or use like changes to Lua scripts and such. The update to the multi protocol module is just adding more protocols that down the road you may want if you buy a lot of the off the wall stuff like the toy quads and such..

Don`t update unless the update is something you actually need and use, your radio will work just fine the way it is. When ready to update then I would switch to the Edge update which enables the touch screen function, when I do update that is what I will use but they have a few bugs yet to be worked out, it is very useable in it`s present state if one knows and understands what they are doing..

Hi Bricks,

Great advice. Thank you. I will not do any updates. When I receive my transmitter I will have more questions later. I know that I will need to print out the user manual. I am hoping the transmitter will be delivered this week. Right now the package is on the move.

Bricks

Master member
Instead of the manual which I personally found kind of useless Youtube is better, even there double check all settings as sometimes they are not correct either but they are pretty good on the basics.

You could google up some Youtube videos now and start getting a handle of how it works.

Last edited:

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

A little update. I have received my new transmitter on Friday (02/18). Now it's time to watch some videos on how to program the transmitter. Does anyone have a video they like or a person that has put out a good video about the TX16S ? I'm all ears. ;)

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

A little update. I have received my new transmitter on Friday (02/18). Now it's time to watch some videos on how to program the transmitter. Does anyone have a video they like or a person that has put out a good video about the TX16S ? I'm all ears. ;)

Hi Guys,

This is what I found so far. Seems like a good video.

alan0043

Hi Guys,

Well things are not going good. The transmitter is a nice piece of equipment. I watched several videos. But I can not get the OMP T720 to bind with my new Radiomaster TX16S. I have been able to create a model, that's good. I was able to assign a switch to kill the throttle, that's good, so say the transmitter. The transmitter says throttle off. Nothing else works. I put the battery into the plane and press the bind button on the plane and then make sure I hit the bind on the transmitter second. All the transmitter does is keep beeping after I hit the bind on the transmitter . The plane goes with a slow blinking blue light now. The blue light blinking is slower on the plane and the transmitter keeps beeping. So what is happening ? Not much videos on T720 & RadioMaster.

Bifi.baarlo

After you powered up your plane, you should hold the bind button a few seconds, is the blue led blinking fast? Then you bind the transmitter and the led must stop blinking and give solid blue light, if this isn't happening and the led keeps blinking, than you selected the wrong protocol or maybe your internal module is not updated?

The Fopster

Master member
After you powered up your plane, you should hold the bind button a few seconds, is the blue led blinking fast? Then you bind the transmitter and the led must stop blinking and give solid blue light, if this isn't happening and the led keeps blinking, than you selected the wrong protocol or maybe your internal module is not updated?
I’d be very surprised if the problem requires an update. I’m using a TX16 exactly as it arrived without any updates and it has bound to everything just fine. I think if you follow the instructions that came with your plane for binding you should be able to get it going as is. I remember I used to find this confusing at first, but you’ll get there!