RCModelReviews (Bruce Simpson) has been keeping tabs on Flitetest!

sfactor1

I like Bruces reviews but he is always banging on about how he is "honest and factual"....well I see on his 2011 review that he is going full time at it for 2012 (perhaps he has reached retirement age?) and is looking for sponsors etc etc so lets see how he goes
"honest and factual" does have a tendency to annoy sponsors (NOTHING is perfect. if something seems perfect, the definition of what made the item perfect was originally flawed)....sometimes merely omitting "facts" instead of stating flaws can be quite antagonist to the spirit of "honest"

sfactor1

i like watching Bruce Simpson's vids.....when he's not abusing animals as seen on his vids when they flush out the "hangar cat" so the jack russell can terrorize it. the cat doesnt know that "they are merely having fun". 1 of his latest vids shows them actively chasing a bird merely for entertainment.......he is the biggest bully around. it may be fun when he harasses ron and EVERYBODY else at his field, but as they r humans, they do understand what is going on and they can (and do) counter punch

sfactor1

That's funny... What does "*factual* and honest" have to do with cameras? I never felt he was dishonest. I like Bruce's reviews.

bruce was clearly comparing and CONTRASTING HIS "factual and honest" reviews with how flitetest does its reviews

sfactor1

I don't think the "factual and honest" comment was a jab at Flitetest, but rather Bruce saying that instead of upgrading his camera equipment, he'll just keep making the same down to earth style videos as usual for him. I could be wrong though, he did take the time to put asterisks around factual...who knows?

i totally disagree with you...he did indeed ask for a hatcam......."factual and honest" was bruce's passive aggressive way of attacking flitetest (remember the flitetest funfighters "review")

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I believe he's suggesting there was a lack of honesty in the funfighters review, because Chad squashed what promised to be a lengthy tech filled conversation by David and Josh over the Seafury running 27 amps on a 20 amp ESC.

The fact that the comment about the higher amps was left in the video, instead of being edited out does seem to counter the idea that there was some sort of cover up, or lack of honesty.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I just noticed all the "don't delete this thread" posts at the top of the "new posts" section and read all the stuff about it. I must have been gone that day lol.

Klaus

About Bruce chasing birds: He mentioned why in one of his videos and it makes perfect sense when you realize that they fly out of an active airport. Birds and big planes don't mix well so the modelers scare the birds off when they get too close.

Flying

Personally I love Bruce's videos. I think he could have one of the most used camera's ever made I can't believe that that thing still records video like it does. I think it is over 10 year old?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Bruce's candor makes his videos very entertaining. My only complaint is on his "not so weekly, weekly updates", he speaks of upcoming reviews for products and then we never see the review. This seems to always happen for the things I'd actually like to see reviewed by Bruce.

Flash1940

Bruce adds a lot to the hobby. He leans heavily toward electronics and does a good job evaluating things....especially the new FPV craze and he draws in a host of highly technical guys that have all sorts of contributions to the forum. This is my first post on the FliteTest forum. I am enjoying surfing around on the site. Lots of informative stuff here. Think I'm gonna like it a lot. I've been subscribed to the videos for about a year now......and I like them all. Josh Scott is coming right along with his flying. As his confidence builds....he will be just fine. He can get up there & back down in one piece....and that's a plus. I would like to see Bruce and the two Joshes on the same field....or even in the same studio now and then. I'll bet they're working on it.
Flash

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Bruce adds a lot to the hobby. He leans heavily toward electronics and does a good job evaluating things....especially the new FPV craze and he draws in a host of highly technical guys that have all sorts of contributions to the forum. This is my first post on the FliteTest forum. I am enjoying surfing around on the site. Lots of informative stuff here. Think I'm gonna like it a lot. I've been subscribed to the videos for about a year now......and I like them all. Josh Scott is coming right along with his flying. As his confidence builds....he will be just fine. He can get up there & back down in one piece....and that's a plus. I would like to see Bruce and the two Joshes on the same field....or even in the same studio now and then. I'll bet they're working on it.
Flash

Welcome, Flash!

You will learn a lot on this forum!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If you follow the xjet channel, they started a new club and they fly at a park instead. Electrics only though I'm afraid... I'm still not convinced the ban wasn't conveniently timed for Bruce's Hobbyking turbine testing

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
A thought just struck me: What's going to happen to all the awesome jet meets at the Tokoroa Airfield now the SWMAC is gone? I liked seeing all the jets and helicopters, and also the crashes :p

Flash1940

If you follow the xjet channel, they started a new club and they fly at a park instead. Electrics only though I'm afraid... I'm still not convinced the ban wasn't conveniently timed for Bruce's Hobbyking turbine testing
You could be right about that..... My feeling is that there may be some political/legal/insurance pressure that none of us know about. Also.....there doesn't seem to be any model aviation representation in NZ....and that's sad. You can feel the sadness in Bruce's voice when he's on camera. Hope they get it worked out.....I miss it also.
Flash

Nonamerc

Arman
You could be right about that..... My feeling is that there may be some political/legal/insurance pressure that none of us know about. Also.....there doesn't seem to be any model aviation representation in NZ....and that's sad. You can feel the sadness in Bruce's voice when he's on camera. Hope they get it worked out.....I miss it also.
Flash

Welcome flash,

Would be great to see bruce and the joshes fly together. But i dont think that its going to work since they both dont have the money for something as expensive as this.

Arman, nonamerc

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Adding the $.02 from a newbie who's been watching every video from both sources and reading as much as possible to gain knowledge (before crashing my first plane), I've got the following opinion:

The Joshes are entertaining and bring a lot of life to the videos. The banter, sarcasm, combination of expert and (former) newbie, and great production values make their reviews some of the best I've seen. Do some of the reviews appear like commercials for their sponsors? Yes, but they tell you numerous times in each video who paid for the gear so at least they're being somewhat transparent about it. More critical reviews would be welcome.

Watching Bruce is incredibly informative, but it can be like sitting in a college lecture hall with a professor who doesn't slow down enough for you to take good notes. It can be information overload, at least for a noob like me. I like the critical (sometimes over-critical?) reviews, giving the viewer as much information as possible to make an informed decision. However, when I start one of his videos and see it's 15 minutes long I consider bailing on it and watching something else unless it really interests me.

By contrast, I could sit through a 15+ minute FliteTest video pretty easily.

Find a way to combine the best of both worlds and you'd really have something!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I can see it now... Flitetest channel for normal vids, Flitetest Gremlin channel for outtakes and fun stuff, and Flitetest Technical with extra detail for the boffins!

For Bruce's long vids, I keep my hand on the mouse and skip stuff like him tinning every wire, glueing every control horn on etc.

Dogman

RC Model Reviews, Bruce Simpson and MFNZ

Hi people. Was wondering if anyone has seen Bruces latest vid showing the MFNZ punitive shutdown of his ability to fly because he wont play their club rules game. Im a newbie looking to use FPV for field research and survey in country areas ( vert pest animals) and have learnt heaps from both FT and RCMR....Im a techie so I use three or four different sites to confirm details and equip specs before plunging in. BS is very ideosyncratic but THAT is part of the fun watching.Ive sent an email to el presidente of MFNZ saying how foolish they look and it would be good if everyone could chime in and make a bit of a push to keep BS flying.