1024edDSC_5218SergeyRakhmanin.jpg

SPECS

WINGSPAN
32in
CHANNELS
WEIGHT
Airframe - TBD
ELECTRONICS
MOTOR- NTM 35-36a 1800kvhttp://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._Series_35_36A_1800Kv_875w_US_Warehouse_.html. 7x6 apc prop
ESCS - Turnigy 80amp esc
BATTERY - nanotech 1800mah 35-70c 4S
SERVOS - 4x 12g metal gear
BUILD DIFFICULTY
Advanced
MATERIALS
DTF, skewers, aluminum 1/2in by 2mm spar
PLANS- Not at this time. (Still learning to do them on computer)
SPEEDS
(110+)
At the resent airshow here watching all the great stunt planes. I got a great look around Rob holland MXS at our hanger . I just loved the way that plane looked and performed. So i got the itch and had to build one so i like fast acrobatics and racing my planes around. So i desided to go for a acrobatic/ racer

BUILD
CAM00587.jpg
Fuse build, V,stab and H,stab with spars installed
CAM00589.jpg
V,stab and H,stab installed
Started on the wing build. Going for a full thin symmetrical wing build at only a 1/2inch thick(as thin as the servo)
CAM00591.jpg
Left wing cut out. Installed aluminum spar with foam spar formers. Then installed servo, first removing foam from top and bottom wing sections so it fits paper to paper. Then beveled the wings edges to give a nice sharp edge all the way around CAM00592.jpg CAM00593.jpg finished scratch build on left hand wing. Happy with the way the wing came out so ill be sticking with these wing build plans CAM00596.jpg CAM00597.jpg CAM00598.jpg finished the wing. I have to say im very happy the way it came out (even threw a few burns and bad box blade cut). I desided to not do full length aileron but just the right size for racing but enough to get some extreme acrobatics. Ailerons sized at 10x1inch

Turtle deck formers
CAM00599.jpg
Installed formers tring to get them as close to scale look as i could . Then doubled up former where my hatch mod would be

Turtle Decking
CAM00600.jpg
After running the tubes for the tails control wires i installed the turtle decking, After decking was installed i cut out the lines for the canopy.( which im still thinking on how im going to make the canopy) thinking about using a 2liter bottle cause i dont want a flat center line down the canopy i want that nice arch.

WING INSTALL
It took me some time to make sure my AOA was stright before i cut out the slots but i got it done and finally installed. And very happy with the look so far. And my new servos showed up(surprisingly fast for hobbyking) so the tail servos got installed to. CAM00604.jpg CAM00605.jpg

Battery Hatch
After the wing install i then cut out the battery hatch. Its not as big as i wanted it to be but i worked with the space i had and its still enough to work prefectly CAM00606.jpg

FINISH BUILD
Finally. Got the canopy about as close as i could to scale. It took about three tries with different plastics to get what i wanted. Then all control were hooked up and set. Then test fit motor and pod CAM00611.jpg CAM00613.jpg CAM00612.jpg
CAM00644.jpg
CAM00645.jpg

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
That set up will pull around 70amps, if anything it should be bigger :)

Your build is looking great, Jayz. This will be a fun one to fly.

Ya i figured id be some what safe with the 80amp this time over the 65amp i was using. But thanks nic i sure cant wait to fly it

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah you'll be fine with 80. I always try to have as much headroom as possible but it gets hard in the 80a range. I'm also not willing to spend 50+ on one plane part either. Haha

jayz 84

Yeah you'll be fine with 80. I always try to have as much headroom as possible but it gets hard in the 80a range. I'm also not willing to spend 50+ on one plane part either. Haha

Ya they get to be a bit pricey and im not to fond of spending that much too. I think i spent almost 40 on this one. But i know i needed a better esc before i started using that motor again with that 65amp i hand to let it cool between flights. So i bought the 80amp and used the 65amp on my EF-1 motor. But man im really wondering how fast this bird will be. Its more stream line then the spit is and with the thin race wing. But! It has a tad less wing area then the mustang. Landing will be interesting. Also will be the first build with almost full wing ailerons" shes gonna move

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Big ailerons will kill speed on input. I would scale them if you're not gonna focus on 3D.

jayz 84

Ive been debating on yhe ailerons size. Which is why i havent cut them out yet. I want the full length for the fast responsiveness(like the pylon racers) and allso be a very aerobatic flyer. But not sure if shorter ones will be better. All the store bought racing planes and scale planes, most have full length ailerons. Think ill have to do some research before i do anything

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Your fast passes will be with basically neutral surfaces so you'll be fine there. It's just in turns and maneuvers they you'll bleed speed off faster. I'm sure it would be fine overall with full length.

jayz 84

Your fast passes will be with basically neutral surfaces so you'll be fine there. It's just in turns and maneuvers they you'll bleed speed off faster. I'm sure it would be fine overall with full length.

Yeah i know it will slow it in hard turns which really not to worried about that. My only issue would be aileron flutter in hard turns and dives.. and not to sure how dtf will hold up the full length ones at them speeds, really wont know unless i try. One plus side to them. Theyll catch the prop wash on takeoffs and landing giving better response at slower speeds. Im still thinking about it. I might make them shorter and use the paint scheme to make them look like full ailerons( for the look)

jayz 84

Deside on the ailerons i will be do them about 3/4 of the wing. They were designed on that plane to improve control and aerodynamic at race speeds so ill going to have to do some scaling on them

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow! Looks really good. I particularly like the way you are building the flatter airfoil. Can you share how you do those extra wide bevels? Blade or sandpaper or both?

Thanks

DamoRC

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
You can use either for the bevels. Sanding gives you the best finish but a a box cutter blade is what most of us building a speed wing use.

jayz 84

Wow! Looks really good. I particularly like the way you are building the flatter airfoil. Can you share how you do those extra wide bevels? Blade or sandpaper or both?

Thanks

DamoRC

Yes its just like nic explaned. Me i use box blades the sand paper thing i guess works for some but its not for me. Im good with a blade so ill stick with that. If you want a good idea on how to build a wing like this check out nerdnic nnMig3 build and look for the how to build on the wing. on his therd. Its alot of work but there well worth it. And thanks for the comment