Redbull MXS-R swappable acrobatic/racer

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Nigel Lamb's would be a cool candidate. The yellow is pretty visible and the new tips on that thing look wicked.

Yeah man that was one of the visual pictures i was going off of to build this and i like the tips too tginking about if tgis bird dose well ill build a 40in ws with the shark fin tips made of plastic or aluminum

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've seen them both fly at Oshkosh. They put on a fantastic show. Rob Holland even prop hangs his plane during the routine.

jayz 84

Anybody know of a site for a accurate CG calculator. I cant for the life of me find the good one i use to use (been awhile sence ive done my own design build

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have used the one here in the past

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

I don't actually use the CG it gives me, rather I use the old fashioned 25% of the MAC it calculates. On my 540-like scratch builds this has worked fine.

I read that you calculated an AOA for the wing prior to install - can you share how you did this? I normally install the wing (symmetrical) with 0 degrees incidence from the horizontal elevator and use elevator trim to get it flying level. But now I am wondering which gives you better performance, 0 degrees incidence with some up trim or some small upward incidence of the wing? Thoughts?

Thanks.

p.s. - Still practicing to make those wide bevels with blades, as you suggested, but I keep messing them up. Any tips or tricks on this. As an alternative solution I have started to use a hot iron for this and it works well but it really slow.

DamoRC

jayz 84

I have used the one here in the past

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

I don't actually use the CG it gives me, rather I use the old fashioned 25% of the MAC it calculates. On my 540-like scratch builds this has worked fine.

I read that you calculated an AOA for the wing prior to install - can you share how you did this? I normally install the wing (symmetrical) with 0 degrees incidence from the horizontal elevator and use elevator trim to get it flying level. But now I am wondering which gives you better performance, 0 degrees incidence with some up trim or some small upward incidence of the wing? Thoughts?

Thanks.

p.s. - Still practicing to make those wide bevels with blades, as you suggested, but I keep messing them up. Any tips or tricks on this. As an alternative solution I have started to use a hot iron for this and it works well but it really slow.

DamoRC

Hey man thanks this is the smaller version of the one i use to use it should do just fine. I like using the old 25-30% of Mac to i just like to use the calculator to check and make sure my calculation are close.
But for your AOA its best to keep it the way you are doing it at 0degree incidence and use trim. Now this will depend on what kind of build or flight characteristics. And normal cruiser or fast flyer keep it at 0degrees but if your looking for slow and floaty you can pitch it upwards but its not much maybe 5 or so degrees. But ive allways kept it at 0degrees with the hstab for best results

For the bevels the best way you can go about it is to remove the paper from the area to be beveled then slowly cut small strips at a time( not one big cut). When you get close to your finish bevel is when your going to try to hold the tip of the blade and slowly do your flat pulls( something a sawing action works well too. Now ive heard others say you can sand them down but id prob use that as a replacement for the long flat pull. Just remember to take your time with it. Its no fast process

jayz 84

Ever thought of doing a biplane? (Pitts Model 12 *wink wink nudge nudge*)

Haha yes i have Speaking of it. I love biplanes. I was thinking on a ultimate bip but ive been a big fan of skip stewart and have been wanting to build a pitts. Not sure which model yet

jayz 84

I think he flies a modified s2s. Ultramicrobe's s1s would be good starting point.

Yep its a modified pitts s2s aka Prometheus 2. Such a small biplane with 400horses of muscle. But ya that might be a good stating point with the s1s build... but now you got me thinking about building the 12, ive been thinking about buying that one. But why not build it with some real power;)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've been keeping my eyes on the horizon 280 class pitts s12 "viking" for a little while. It seems like quite the little beast! (pun intended)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
If you do an s2s/Prometheus I am gonna have to build the Challenger III. They are both similar airplanes, but the challenger can literally do a flip.

Oracle Challenger.JPG