Replacing tail feathers with coroplast plastic

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
The one weak point in the foamboard builds, for me at least, is the tail feathers. They are hanger rash magnets (and cars). Has anybody used coroplast instead just for those parts? i know it adds some weight, but i could see how the strength/endurance of the material could be worth it. Fyi this is not my first time using the material i just haven't used it in combination with foamboard on a FT kit. I have thought as well that on some belly landers, depending on what you usually land on, could benefit from just the bottom most piece being replaced. In my experience hot glue works amazing on coro assuming you have sanded the connection points well and even poked holes thru the plastic to give the glue more places to grab.

jtrops

Are your tail feathers getting bunged up on the surface, or at the edges (or both)?

I was having problems with the edges getting munched, and I started beveling them with an iron on both sides. They take a serious beating before showing any problems now.

As long as your model can be balanced with the weight of the coro-plast I don't know why it wouldn't work. I just hate adding nose weight if I don't have to.

thenated0g

Mentor
Yeah its the blunt hits usually that gets me. I have a couple kits coming from FT. Will try it out on one and see how it goes. The Bee would be a good test as the entire underneath is open allowing me to put the battery forward if needed.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have had similar problems with tail feathers. I use a double layer of FB on all tail feathers, adds a great deal of strength.

thenated0g

Mentor
I have moved on to vacuum bagged balsa/fiberglass.
IMG_20190715_065205.jpg IMG_20190715_065437.jpg