Beriev Be - 103 (Snipe) amphibious seaplane, build in foamed pvc plastic.

leaded50

Legendary member
Im "stuck" with lots of square meters of Forex plates, a foamed pvc type. in 3mm thickness (at least believe its their name) A friend came here with a few sq.meters, and no problems get more, for free! He believed perhaps i could use it in planebuilding. Plates are approx bit over double of weight on the foamboard i uses normally.
Ive used some of it for parts on foamboard planes, eg. as reinforcings. After been on the airfield seen eg. jets by 4 - 6000g + at 1600mm wingspan, i wondered how it could been building a plane of such material.....

After totalchrased my mini SeaStryder seaplane (on land, not on water ;)) i wanted something similar, twin motors eg.
The "Snipe´s" distinguishing design feature is the low water-displacing wing, an unusual feature for a seaplane, with three aquaplaning implements (planing step, port and starboard wing trailing edges) which substantially enhance the aircraft's on-the-water stability and seaworthiness, attracted me from before, and been on my "perhaps build list" some time.

As use on water, the plasticmaterial would be superb! Some waterproof servos, and it should function quite agile with its close to triangleshaped wing, with good lift.. Every edge can easy be shaped, by heat, sanding, knife eg. A sturdy build,some crashresisstant.
Its even better glued with hot-glue, than eg. Por, or other contact sement.

al it depends on, are total weight......can i keep it approx 1500g total, its ok! I choose make it in approx 650mm length, 900mm wingspan, and with a couple 2830 motors eg, it should be ok. ..and the part with sidewindows, would be superb for use as hatch to reach battery/electronics.
And still used techiques of "master-style" to build it. And its gonna be my 3. Beriev build :)

(yeah, im sick again, and get to many spare times just sitting here :confused:)

Attachments

• 0-7.jpg
    0-7.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 26552_1160252260.jpg
    26552_1160252260.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MvlKOYb.jpg
    MvlKOYb.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • oX42gDY.jpg
    oX42gDY.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
here is parts to the tail assembly (without elevator) Elevator actuation is gonna be hidden inside, system is shown on picture, where a pushrod goes down to a belly crank, and then to the servo. Best way to do it, since the horizontal surfaces is up on the tailfin, and by "double" the fin, it gets more strength, and perfect for such hidden stuff .
DSC_0916.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
i also found oput another about this plane about its "three aquaplaning implements" water stability. With the SeaStryder who also have a low-wing system, it wasnt all time as easy to take-off. The wing did easy "dig down" in water even if at end had over 5-6* degree incident.
when following this guide on seaplane construction:
seaplane_guides1.png

on the measures and 3D view on the original Be-103, its easy see the step is FORWARD/at CG.
C_g.png
Then it will mainly "stuck" with lower tail on water, and keep wing in higher degree of incidence at slow water-taxing. The wing is orginally in fact at 0* degree incident! When speed increases, its port and starboard wing trailing edges will be a bigger part of the stability with the "forebody".
"Forebody" is not the main stabilizing part at speed on water as by most flying boats/ seaplane floats. The boyance eg. of the "forebody" will lift front by increased speed, and give it the necessary more wing incident vs. waterline at take-off. In fact help making a air cushion under the wing.....

cyclone3350

Master member
I don't what about your treads threads that got me addicted to reading your builds. Is it the unique planes, U chose to do, or is it the way they look when U R done, Nope! The one area that I can not compete with U is, how friggin fast U do your builds.

leaded50

Legendary member
:ROFLMAO: well, its a "little lie".... i started this 4d ago. (even if just make the post today...)

The forebody is ready
DSC_0918.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
wonder why i always make the sidewalls outside of bottom on the hull? Ive mentioned before in other build.... By making the sides a touch to big, you can angle the top inwards against the bottom (as a V-shape, or evn flat).... that way you got easy done a natural protection against seaspray comin up. You dont stop all, but break the wave following the V- shaped bottom out to the sides, where it will break sideways/downward again by this trick :)
Its also done orginally on some orginal flying boats, or mounted extra seapray protection strips. .

DSC_0920.JPG

wonder why i always make the sidewalls outside of bottom on the hull? Ive mentioned before in other build.... By making the sides a touch to big, you can angle the top inwards against the bottom (as a V-shape, or evn flat).... that way you got easy done a natural protection against seaspray comin up. You dont stop all, but break the wave following the V- shaped bottom out to the sides, where it will break sideways/downward again by this trick :)
Its also done orginally on some orginal flying boats, or mounted extra seapray protection strips. .

View attachment 202867
I used to build those rails into my offshore deep-V speedboats. Chines? I think that's it. I believe "chine walking" is when the hull starts bouncing violently in roll, side to side on its chines.
This is stepped and chined. The steps allow it to shed water and let air get in under the hull.
!offm1.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
I used to build those rails into my offshore deep-V speedboats. Chines? I think that's it. I believe "chine walking" is when the hull starts bouncing violently in roll, side to side on its chines.
This is stepped and chined. The steps allow it to shed water and let air get in under the hull.
Yep, on a boat, its called "chines"

leaded50

Legendary member
weight yet ? without any electronics, or the "holders" for the motors, and the topskin on wings... 567g !!! (and a touch glue, since not all parts done is not glued in place)

leaded50

Legendary member
then the "easiest" skins on fuselage is done. Got the last ones back, who needs be in to halfs, curbed :rolleyes:

and yes... it got a tail :sneaky:

DSC_0921.JPG