RK - 800 ("tandem" sliding wing areal fighter)

GrizWiz

Elite member
solution: 10 sliding parts at each wing... "mylar sheets! Eg, X-ray film. :) Thats thin , 10 parts will be 3.5mm , but a bit stiff anyway, at least when each part would have a former, and an edge under next one at 50mm wide., and slides nicely on carbonfiber tubes in front of each wing :)
Then awaiting return info from a office machine service guy on internal content to fit for retract/push out parts :)
Retract controller for dc motors is already fixed.
Ok I like then idea

leaded50

Legendary member
both wings soon ready, with epoxyed carbon fiber tube at leading edge. for reinforcing and a slippery hard edge for the formers/ wingpanels to slide on.
DSC_0444.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
it got its wings :cool:
As retractable wing parts, i found the x-ray film not superb in use, but found polycarbonate in perfect thickness superb to shape for its use here View attachment 182160 .... its already shipped from Denmark :)
You always take on the coolest most crazy projects and this one is is no exception! It's looking amazing so far, and I'm eager to see how the "retractable wing" ends up working. Good luck and keep up the great work!

leaded50

Legendary member
It's looks awesome!! As for the cg, I would calculate the cg for flying with the low speed wing extended first (it'll probably be around 33% back from the leading edge) then incrementally retract the wing in flight and adjust it from there.

yeah, ive already set CG by extended wing area. Thats was easiest, since can calculate by wing & stabilizer. More difficult by 2 wings and stab :)
Glidetest without extended wing area is done, with satisfaction result.

leaded50

Legendary member
You always take on the coolest most crazy projects and this one is is no exception! It's looking amazing so far, and I'm eager to see how the "retractable wing" ends up working. Good luck and keep up the great work!

:LOL: ... well, i push my creativity :ROFLMAO::LOL:. I just found the planeidea looked nice/crazy cool... and got some ideas on how was possible get it functional, then, why not? An experiment that could give much fun (or not, without the building). It gives me more satisfaction to see if could get it done as an ok flyer, than just follow other ready-plans.
Its so many nice airplanes.... and would be boooooring if we "just saw Cubs" on the RC airfield ;).
Thanks @The Hangar .

leaded50

Legendary member
here is a few more pics, @Matthewdupreez , in the current state at moment, awaiting the polycarbonat plates to make the wing extensions (and a couple servos, + the system for moving extensions.

I made a hatch against nose for battery,eg... but unsure if get tomuch weight forward yet. Also the canopy can be taken off for necessary placement of electronics, or battery.

DSC_0451.JPG
DSC_0448.JPG
DSC_0450.JPG
DSC_0449.JPG

Last edited:
aaahh, got the 40 in. X 59 inch pvc sheet from Denmark today. More than needed, but at least enough (and didnt sell less size...) Then can start one of days to work out the telescoping wingparts.
Good! PVC sounds like a good material for this. It'll bend with a little heat... But it would work better with a form to bend against... but each piece could be the same, right? But it'll take a lot of trial & error to get it just right... You sure know how to challenge yourself!

leaded50

Legendary member
Good! PVC sounds like a good material for this. It'll bend with a little heat... But it would work better with a form to bend against... but each piece could be the same, right? But it'll take a lot of trial & error to get it just right... You sure know how to challenge yourself!
Decided PVC because not dam heavy when thin enough, quite stiff , and forms easy with heat, and holds its shape yes. No it will be different parts... the one going most out to wingtip will be "smallest" closest to wing, all others will be on outside this again... Everyone gonna slide inside into the one at fuselage.

as this:

telescope.png

Last edited:
6 of 10 wing telescopic parts done. (when the glue dries)
( well, it need some extra on ends of wing "ribs" when all are ready)

View attachment 183317
I can't decide if I should admire you or fear you.

When you grow up to be the world's most feared Evil Genius carrying out your plans for world domination (Like in the early James Bond movies - Sean Connery) I get to say "I knew him way back in 2020."