Scale Build Off - 1/4 scale (55") Pitts Challenger III

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I would suggest something other than a bungee. Once you heat the wire it will give and you will get warped ridges in the foam cuts. With that bow I would suggest another wire and a very strong spring. It will remove the slack when the wire heats but not give by dragging the hot wire. I use piano wire... like from an actual piano. Picked it up from a repair shop. Got about 10 feet of it for $1. THeey have it by the spool and usually are good about helping hobbyists. I'll get my calipers out tomorrow and measure it for you. I'm taking off work all next week so if you are free let me know.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I would suggest something other than a bungee. Once you heat the wire it will give and you will get warped ridges in the foam cuts. With that bow I would suggest another wire and a very strong spring. It will remove the slack when the wire heats but not give by dragging the hot wire. I use piano wire... like from an actual piano. Picked it up from a repair shop. Got about 10 feet of it for $1. THeey have it by the spool and usually are good about helping hobbyists. I'll get my calipers out tomorrow and measure it for you. I'm taking off work all next week so if you are free let me know.

Interesting. I'll look into that. Should be very doable. I actually have a few high strength springs that might be suitable.

Any thoughts on the power supply?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Oh yeah! So, mine is an old car battery charger. Like OLD. Hit up the pawn shops in your area and dig for one. The more analog it is the better. The other option is an electronics transformer but its not as nice of an option. Mine goes up to 6A at 12V. Plenty for my needs.

wilmracer

Mentor
So... the more research I do the more variations I'm finding on numbers. I've got good details about the Challenger II, but the NEW Challenger III has a fancy new specialized set of wings. I guess technically it is a Wolf Pitts Pro with some other mods. What I'm having trouble determining is the exact span of these custom Wolf Pitts wings.

I expect the size will continue to be adjusted as I get more accurate specs but I'm adjusting the numbers I have for the size. If what I have NOW is correct final size will be:

Top Wing Span - 57.9"
Bottom wing span - 54.6"
Length - 57.7"

The new wings are definitely sexy though. They have a 7* sweep about 2/3's the way to the wing tip.

On Edit: The image of the wing below is the 4 aileron version. Mine will have the 8 aileron layout.

Attachments

• wings1.jpg
    wings1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 5

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
ORACLE Pitts challenger. Man this should be a awsome build coming from your work. Big biplane fan and have be looking of a good set of Challenger plans for some time now. Was looking the other day in fact. 55in Ws is definitely a nice size. Definitely watching this build, good luck man and if you do a set of plans im highly interested

wilmracer

Mentor
Re: hot wire. 3mm NiChrome is the wire of choice i do believe, i'm not aware of local shops that sell this so you will have to order online. If you look at the current articles section I think i seen a comprehensive article on hot wire cutting. http://flitetest.com/articles/hot-wire-foam-sheet-cutting

Thanks!

I'm wrapping up the hotwire bow build and did pick up a few gauges of Nichrome, including 22 gauge with is .33mm (I think)
I'm just waiting for some 10 gauge hook up wire to come in that I'm going to use for the cord from the bow to the power supply.

I'm still pulling together images and 3 views to use for former design. I'm probably going to start with the fuselage portion. I hope to start laying it out on the build rig in the next week or two. I really want to make sure I have the best references possible before I start. My last two Biplane builds have been less than stellar fliers and I really want this one to preform right the first time.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I got to talk to Sean a little bit a couple years ago, asked what next for the airplane and what else would he like to get the airplane to do that this version can. More power to weight was the answer to the first which led into the what else could it do part. He wants it to fly fly an R/C airplane, that is where he gets alot of his insiration from, from watching 3d rc....

Excited to see this build!

wilmracer

Mentor
Super frustrated today.

So... Thanks to an updated FAA ruling (not the one related to drone registration) the flight rules in our area have changed. According to our AMA rep there should have been language to exempt approved AMA flying sites from the ruling, but no such language was included. So our club got a cease and desist notice from the county and our primary flying site is now closed until further notice. We're within 30 miles of DCA (Reagan International Airport) and that is the new restricted range.

We had one of our larger club fun flies on Saturday morning and of course it had to be cancelled. It is very likely that this will be resolved but we have no idea how long it will take to get an addendum or modification of the language. As of today I'd have to drive the better part of an hour just to get to flying site.

I'm still going to be optimistic and start on this build in the next week or so, but if all our fields are permanently closed I'm going to have to reevaluate this hobby. :mad:

wilmracer

Mentor
tell'em to shove it and fly it at the local park until they let you use the airfield again.

That'll go over well :rolleyes:

lol... Yeah.

So I was at an event with our club president over the weekend and he relayed a story that I hadn't heard about a "rouge" flying site that many of our members used to fly at (just parkflyers). Apparently around a year ago a club member was arrested and detained for several hours by law enforcement, and not by the local police or state troupers. If this guy is correct it was DHS and Secret Service. Sounds like they kept his gear too. I have no idea if the story has grown beyond what actually happened but obviously no one flies at that site any more.

In other parts of the country maybe, but in this area it just isn't worth it. :mad::mad:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
That is so odd. I've not heard of this. Our field is ~5 miles from a commercial airport (Frederick) and our club has gotten no such notices.

wilmracer

Mentor
That is so odd. I've not heard of this. Our field is ~5 miles from a commercial airport (Frederick) and our club has gotten no such notices.

So it isn't the range from ALL airports (we're actually not far from Dulles), just certain aiports. DCA is on the list. How far are you guys from Reagan?

So if what I've heard is correct the AMA will be contacting clubs in the affected area to instruct them not to fly until the language is fixed. Our club just happened to be the first affected because we received the official cease and desist from the county immediately after the change went out. From the threads on our club forum:

Since it was a Fairfax county action, we are the only club immediately impacted. However, once brought to attention of AMA, they have determined what others clubs are in this area, and will be sending them "stop flying" notices as well. From discussion at the auction yesterday, this is just about everybody except the FARM club (just barely). So there is soon going to be a lot more unhappy people.

Also from our forum:

To give some background, in September 2015, FAA posted a revision to AC91-57 which specifically says "Model aircraft must not operate in Prohibited Areas, Special Flight Rule Areas or, the Washington National Capital Region Flight Restricted Zone, without specific authorization."

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_91-57A.pdf

It's a total fiasco.

So basically there was no language added to exclude existing AMA clubs from the restriction. Without the exception we're technically in violation of the SFRA

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Google earth says 52.7 via the highway. So a bit closer by flight. Certainly beyond 30 miles.

Also of note is that I do have a friend that got out of this hobby when he moved here from out west. He took up sailing.

wilmracer

Mentor
Small update. I spoke with Callie from http://www.callie-graphics.com/ today and got the graphics ordered. She already had an earlier version of this airframe on file and is going to add a few additional logos from some of my reference photos. I really can't believe what a great price it is for the set. I went ahead and ordered two sets in case I botch application or need them after a repair one day.

Also tracked down the official color

Oracle Red
Pantone PMS 485 C
Process 0C, 100M, 100Y, 0K
RGB 55R, 0G, 0B
Hexadecimal=FF0000

I'll have to look into the best option to match this. I haven't attempted to match a color this exactly before but it should be doable.

I'm really eager to get started on this but I'm going to wrap up the nnP-38 beta build and give the shop a deep-cleaning first.

wilmracer

Mentor
From my color nazi wife... ALWAYS go with the pantone color.

Any recommendations on the best places to get paint by pantone color? I think J Morgan uses interior latex paint from any the hardware store but I'm not 100% sure. I might be able to get the details on the brand of paint used on the full scale version but I expect that would be much more expensive.