Scaled FT plans - available by request

Garret234

Nerdnic, do you still scale plans here? If so Could you possibly do a 80% explorer? I know you are very busy on other projects on the form. If not could you point me toward the right program to do so?

Thanks before hand:)

1badxj

Hey Nick, I am curious about getting plans for the FT Viggen that would allow a 90mm EDF, I know you might not have time to test build it, I can do that, I just don't have the computer skills to up scale any plans.

dgrigor02

Nick is moved on to other scratch build projects plus recent house move and family. I doubt he will be resizing any plans in the near future.

60% Explorer should be really easy. Use 3mm Hobby King ( or depron ) foam board, resize the existing plans to 60% in Adobe PDF reader equals the same ratio as 5/3 thickness of the foam so there are no resizing tabs or A/B/C fold modifications required. Should be able to still use the MightMini Firewalls and control horns.

sysse

Nick is moved on to other scratch build projects plus recent house move and family. I doubt he will be resizing any plans in the near future.

60% Explorer should be really easy. Use 3mm Hobby King ( or depron ) foam board, resize the existing plans to 60% in Adobe PDF reader equals the same ratio as 5/3 thickness of the foam so there are no resizing tabs or A/B/C fold modifications required. Should be able to still use the MightMini Firewalls and control horns.

I'm trying to figure out rescaling my self at the moment, maybe I'll have a thread up if I succeed :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
It is true. I don't have the spare time I would like these days. With that being said, this thread has been dropped from my 'to do list' at this point. For a while now I've debating making a video on the 'how to' behind resizing. I am traveling out of town for work next week and just might have some extra hotel time to get this hammered out.

I will let you guys know! As a side note, I love how this thread has consistently brought in new posters. Just on this one page you have two new users commenting for the first time, sysse and 1badxj. So cool!

FeWolf

Nerdnic, wanted to ask you, when you scale down to 80% on the FT Swappables, do you have to mod the plans or to the fit pretty good, like the "A" and "B" folds for Adams board?
Thanks

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Nerdnic, wanted to ask you, when you scale down to 80% on the FT Swappables, do you have to mod the plans or to the fit pretty good, like the "A" and "B" folds for Adams board?
Thanks

Anytime you scale up or down you will have to account for the A/B folds. The foam thickness doesn't scale.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
If you're lucky the model only needs A/B fold adjustment after being scaled. Most designs need more though. Your wing cutout in the fuse has to be adjusted and so does the width of some pieces.

weeball17

Baby Blender 150%

Could someone blow up plans for the baby blender to 150%. This should take the wing span to 36 inches.... if i have done the math correctly. My mac seems to have problems blowing this up and still keeping the A&B Folds standard to make the build better for me. Thanks.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Ok Sea Duck 60%. Anyone? ;)

I am very seriously considering designing a Mighty Mini sized version. There are a couple people talking about building it by just reducing the plans.

Kimpa

I am very seriously considering designing a Mighty Mini sized version. There are a couple people talking about building it by just reducing the plans.

Yes do it!
I mostly build minis cause its the perfect size to have at home. And the sea duck is just awesome.
60% is still kinda big. Guess 50% would be better cause it would end up around 70cm wingspan.

NCC1701

Heeyyy I'm new hear just saying. I love the mini Sea Duck idea, but I'm really am considering building a 150% guinea, (I know, kinda random) though I don't know where to start. Can someone point in a general direction for scaling plans (if there's no plans already designed) and what power system I should use? That would be great.

Last edited:

Webdragon

i'm not sure what % the scale would be but i would love to see a sparrow scaled up where the fuselage length was 28 inches.

siezed

i'm not sure what % the scale would be but i would love to see a sparrow scaled up where the fuselage length was 28 inches.

I've scaled a few planes just by changing the scale in print options and building. You just have to remember anything that relies on the thickness of the foam needs to be changed back to the thickness of the foam, that's really the only thing that changes with scale in the plans that I've encountered. Mostly the a and b folds need to be the thickness of the foam, as well as any tab slots. As far as 28", you just have to find the original length somehow, and find the percent change, so if it was 20 inches to begin with, you'd subtract and then divide by the original and just multiply by 100 to get the percent change, so it would be 28-20=8/20x100 and you'd see it's 40% larger, so 140% plans would get you the length :D (assuming it's 20 inches to begin with, I really have no idea, doesn't seem to be on the build page).