Scaling Swappable Mustang 140%, my first attempt at scaling.....thoughts, suggestions, 2 cents?

LundiThembi

I had great success with the Swappable Mustang, good flier, very solid, it could take a hit!

I want to scale it up 140% (40 to 56" wingspan). It won't be swappable, I'll add a few formers to the fuselage, 1/8" plywood wing spar, detachable wing.

Any other thoughts or recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks!

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I had great success with the Swappable Mustang, good flier, very solid, it could take a hit!

I want to scale it up 140% (40 to 56" wingspan). It won't be swappable, I'll add a few formers to the fuselage, 1/8" plywood wing spar, detachable wing.

Any other thoughts or recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks!
I say go for it! If you scale it up 15% more you can use the scout xl 3d printed parts

LundiThembi

My first problem...yes 140% can get the wings halves on a 20" x 30" piece of foam board, but......the fuselage will then be 40" long. How to handle that????

Byrdman

I have scaled up a few, and splicing the nose is pretty easy. I've done them a few ways, but prefer to put the splice in front of the CG. I have also done one behind the wings and never had any issues, but more forward gives you more room to reinforce the splice, which is more important.

The biggest issue I have had with scaling up, is the cut-outs are greater than the width of the foamboard. This can cause problems with any 90 deg glue joint and anything else that needs to be squared up too. I would recommend that you choose either the outside or the inside line on the plans and then make the other cutout line the width of the foamboard you are using. A lot of it is 5mm

quorneng

Master member
Surely you already join the wing halves together, about the highest load joint in the plane, so why not join the fuselage if it longer than the sheet?

LundiThembi

I have scaled up a few, and splicing the nose is pretty easy. I've done them a few ways, but prefer to put the splice in front of the CG. I have also done one behind the wings and never had any issues, but more forward gives you more room to reinforce the splice, which is more important.

The biggest issue I have had with scaling up, is the cut-outs are greater than the width of the foamboard. This can cause problems with any 90 deg glue joint and anything else that needs to be squared up too. I would recommend that you choose either the outside or the inside line on the plans and then make the other cutout line the width of the foam board you are using. A lot of it is 5mm
I'm making progress on the build, trying to anticipate problems before they come up, about 90% successful so far. I'm watching the parts that don't scale based on the foam width and have pretty much caught all of them. I tried to incorporate some of the build techniques used on the XL Scout.Picked up some good trick from the Master Series builds such as embedding skewers into the surfaces of the stabiliser and rudder, I'm always bending them. Also put in some shot 3mm fibre glass rods into the wingtips where there is no bottom surface, always bending these up too... Ending up with 56" wingspan and 40" fuselage.

I know it's not that scale but it is a sturdy build. I built the Masters Series P-38 and found the design to be weak. I like the techniques used on 13th Squadron designs with the center spine securing the formers.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 6.25.03 PM.png

Byrdman

I'm making progress on the build, trying to anticipate problems before they come up, about 90% successful so far. I'm watching the parts that don't scale based on the foam width and have pretty much caught all of them. I tried to incorporate some of the build techniques used on the XL Scout.Picked up some good trick from the Master Series builds such as embedding skewers into the surfaces of the stabiliser and rudder, I'm always bending them. Also put in some shot 3mm fibre glass rods into the wingtips where there is no bottom surface, always bending these up too... Ending up with 56" wingspan and 40" fuselage.

I know it's not that scale but it is a sturdy build. I built the Masters Series P-38 and found the design to be weak. I like the techniques used on 13th Squadron designs with the center spine securing the formers.

View attachment 227124

Looks Great!! Cant wait to hear about it flying!

LundiThembi

Update. 140% scaled up swappable next to my destroyed Mini Mustang. Waiting on batteries...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 2.29.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 2.29.41 PM.png
    898.4 KB · Views: 0