Scoring Planes at Swap Meets, Estate Sales, and Online

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I spotted a sweet Steven's Aeromodel CAP 232 kit on fleabay earlier this week, but so did a few other folks and I dropped out of the bidding at $50. Then yesterday I missed on a local MM Switchback that needed some repairs but got talking with the guy and found out he had a CAP 232 he started but has been collecting dust for many years. So it came home with me this morning for only $20! Kit looks complete and almost ready to start covering!

IMG_20191128_204402-1024x768.jpg

That's a Thanksgiving miracle! :p

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I spotted a sweet Steven's Aeromodel CAP 32 kit on fleabay earlier this week, but so did a few other folks and I dropped out of the bidding at $50. Then yesterday I missed on a local MM Switchback that needed some repairs but got talking with the guy and found out he had a CAP 32 he started but has been collecting dust for many years. So it came home with me this morning for only $20! Kit looks complete and almost ready to start covering!

View attachment 149404

That's a Thanksgiving miracle! :p
Oh yeah! Big time score - and something to be thankful for too. I’m just thankful that I get to go to my lhs and get a timber x tomorrow! Oh, I wish. It’ll probably be more like some props for my bushwacker lol.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Never heard of a CAP 232 so I looked it up. Sweet. Nice airplane. Even nicer price. Don't they call kits like that an ARC, Almost Ready to Cover?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Not that I need another project, but I ran across another local sale I couldn’t pass up. A Balsa USA Smoothie XL, half built. The seller and I are meeting after work tomorrow to exchange money for plane. The Smoothie is a beautiful design and I’ve really been wanting one for a while now.

I may swipe the 30cc twin cylinder engine I got with a 1/4 scale Cub recently to power it, which would give it TONS of power.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Well crap... I picked up the Smoothie XL today, and the construction is better than expected, and it also came with the Fiberglass Specialties cowl and wheel covers, well worth the price. Then I find out the Smoothie XL calls for a 5" spinner, which is huge compared to most spinners, but he's got a Tru-Turn 5" and is willing to sell that also. Tru-Turns are also stupid-expensive for a spinner at $150 new, but they're great quality he's asking only about half the price of a new one so naturally I couldn't pass it up. Then the jerk pulls out a new-in-box OS 33 gas engine and waves it under my nose! Again, about half-price compared to buying new. The Smoothie XL is designed for 20-30cc gassers so a 33 should make this bird really come alive! :eek: This little adventure cost me more than I expected (by a lot), but like the Rascal 110 I got a few months ago there are certain planes I just can't pass up! This'll be a fun project, eventually.

OliverW

Legendary member
Well crap... I picked up the Smoothie XL today, and the construction is better than expected, and it also came with the Fiberglass Specialties cowl and wheel covers, well worth the price. Then I find out the Smoothie XL calls for a 5" spinner, which is huge compared to most spinners, but he's got a Tru-Turn 5" and is willing to sell that also. Tru-Turns are also stupid-expensive for a spinner at $150 new, but they're great quality he's asking only about half the price of a new one so naturally I couldn't pass it up. Then the jerk pulls out a new-in-box OS 33 gas engine and waves it under my nose! Again, about half-price compared to buying new. The Smoothie XL is designed for 20-30cc gassers so a 33 should make this bird really come alive! :eek: This little adventure cost me more than I expected (by a lot), but like the Rascal 110 I got a few months ago there are certain planes I just can't pass up! This'll be a fun project, eventually.
You lucky duck. I have 2 swap meets a year I run to and that is it

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
You have swap meets? I have been looking for one for a while now.

It shouldn't be too hard to find one. For us stuck up in the north they're generally in winter. I know of a couple around here coming up in the next few months and I'm planning to go to sell and NOT (hopefully) buy more stuff. :)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I tried to pick up a nice Dynaflite Bird of Time kit (original in box) at an auction, but the guy who was bidding against me kept pushing it higher and higher. We had it up to $80, and I finally said, "Nope, let him have it." $80 for an older kit like that was about as high as I was going to go, all things considered...Sure, it's a nice glider, but I'd seen one on eBay for that price about 2 weeks prior and it still had the sticker seal on it.

Oh well. I saw a Great Planes ARF version of it on Saturday at the local hobby shop, and I REALLY wanted to pull the trigger on it but the wife wasn't having it...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I do love me some Bird of Time! A couple years ago there was an online auction that included a Bird of Time ARF as well as a Bird of Time kit (mostly built) with the fiberglass fuselage, but it was on the east coast and I'm in Wisconsin. Thankfully, Willsonman was a short distance away and agreed to pick up my winnings and deliver them to Flite Fest II in Ohio. I kept the ARF and gave him the kit for his trouble. I forget what I price I won the auction for, but it was well worth it. The BoT still sits in my stash, one day to finally see the sky.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Joker you ever go to the Twin Cities auction in February? Been going for the last 3 years there are some good deals to be had last year picked up 2 30cc gassers complete just drop a receiver in for $120, granted they were older planes one completely stick built the other kit, darn 30CC gassers worth more then what I paid.

https://www.facebook.com/events/cro...-annual-rc-aircraft-auction/1154111764660194/

That's super tempting, especially when I know of a fantastic German restaurant right across the Mississippi in Hudson, Wisconsin. 5-1/2 hours each way is a little beyond my limit for a swap meet, however! :) If I knew I'd score anything nearly as good as you mentioned I'd be there in a heartbeat!! :)

Bricks

Master member
They usually have anywhere from 200-350 planes it is strictly RC planes and parts. There was a gorgeous B24 twin 60 nitro 4S on it and it sold for $325 should of bought it just to resell it.

vhandon

Picked up a very clean RTF Hyperion Enigma 3D for cheap at my first swap meet yesterday. Almost took home an 82" Extra 300 air frame and wing for $25 but I couldn't fit it in my car!

20200125_130150.jpg