Scoring Planes at Swap Meets, Estate Sales, and Online

Samh

Elite member
What did you need a trainer for - to teach @Samh to fly? :LOL:
I dont need no trainer. I traded my trainer for a big sailplane. besides, I only fly sport(four-star 40, eagle 2, astro hog), and 3D (Sky wing 48" edge 540, Value Hobby Slick 540, an soon to be Skywing 73"extra 300+ 87" Aerobeez Slick 540)

OliverW

Legendary member
I dont need no trainer. I traded my trainer for a big sailplane. besides, I only fly sport(four-star 40, eagle 2, astro hog), and 3D (Sky wing 48" edge 540, Value Hobby Slick 540, an soon to be Skywing 73"extra 300+ 87" Aerobeez Slick 540)
I thought you weren't allowed to have the slick

OliverW

Legendary member
You sure you don't need a trainer?🤣🤣

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A little trading with a motivated seller led to another giant scale rehab project for me, this time a Nosen 1933 Gere Sport 1/3 scale biplane. Here's the fuselage sitting on my wife's car for size reference - the wings fit in my van, from the tailgate they extend all the way up between the front seats. It's about 6" shorter than my 1/3 scale Cessna 152 (RIP), and with two wings will have far lighter wing loading. The covering needs to be completely removed and replaced as it's starting to come loose and it's fairly fragile from age. The structure of the plane, however, feels very strong (so far) including pushrods and hinges. The plane came with a gas conversion engine which looks awfully similar to my old Homelite XL chainsaw engine. It looks woefully too small for this plane, at approx 30cc, but the engine looks complete other than a missing spark plug so I may do a quick re-build on it to see if it can be used somewhere down the line. The instructions say it's designed for a .60 size glow, but that doesn't seem realistic to me with all the weight and drag from two giant wings. Something closer to the 40-50 range may be a better option, and it could be an opportunity to use another old-school engine in an old-school plane.

thumbnail_IMG_0584.jpg

It's missing some hardware to mount the wings, as well as the struts for the wings. Plans are available online, so I'll order a set to make sure everything is lined up properly once work begins.

s-l1600.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A little more horse-trading resulted in me bringing home this Ugly Stick. I did a straight trade for a kit I'll probably never get around to - a G&L Hobbies 100" wingspan P-38 Lightning. *IF* I ever got around to building it, it'd get expensive FAST due to large scale retracts, dual engines, etc. The stick I can fly quickly, after I check it out thoroughly and do some minor updates.

thumbnail_IMG_0647.jpg

Power is from a Zenoah G-26, a classic powerplant that should run forever with minimal maintenance (although I'm not sure why the builder installed the engine upside down). It's not enough to make this a 3D plane, as the plane is a heavy build, but it should be enough for general flight. The guy I traded with has multiple cats, so I had to give it a thorough cleaning when I got it home due to my allergies. During that process I found the fuel tank needs a rebuild, so I'll replace all the fuel lines at the same time. A few sags in the covering will be an easy fix as well. The receiver battery and receiver will be replaced with new pieces which should cover all of the fixes required.

thumbnail_IMG_0648.jpg

TooJung2Die

Master member
Hope you don't find anything hidden and seriously wrong so you can get it flying this summer. Dumb question; why do you say the engine is upside down? The name Zenoah is right side up on the crankcase. I thought little two-cycle engines don't have an up or down side. The exhaust might look better pointing down.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It’ll run either way, but this way the exhaust fires up and over the tail surfaces. Generally the cylinder and exhaust aimed down allows it to be hidden in a cowl as well. I like access to the plug like this, but not the exhaust aimed up. I may see if another muffler could be flipped over so I don’t have to redo the entire throttle and gas line setup. The stock muffler has a mounting bracket that prevents this.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Turns out the Zenoah G-23 and G-26 use the same mufflers, so I robbed one off the Kalt 22 cc (basically a Zenoah) I purchased recently since it's not mounted on a plane yet. I barely had enough room to invert it, and added silicone tubes to extend the exhaust down below the fuselage. I also pulled the plug and it looks like it's barely been used, which is what the top of the piston and original exhaust are showing. With the plug out I verified it's got spark and that the kill switch works properly. The ugly old white spinner was replaced with a new one, although I'd prefer to go with aluminum instead of plastic if I had one. The prop was swapped from an 18x6 to a 16x8. The manual states 16x8, but it looks like most people switch to a 18x6. The 18" prop would have me chopping a lot of grass so I'll go with a 16" at least for test-runs. The original gear may get re-bent to give me some extra clearance, or I could order a new longer set with a slightly thicker aluminum for clearance - we'll see what happens. The fuel tank was completely re-plumbed with new lines and bung. Last (for now), a receiver and battery pack were installed to verify everything works, and the only issue is one servo has a 5v max voltage, so I'll probably swap that for a 6v servo to run a 2S LiFe battery. Eventually the kill switch on the side of the fuselage will be replaced with a switch I can operate from the transmitter. As it sits, it's ready to bench-test, hopefully tomorrow. :D

thumbnail_IMG_0650.jpg