Scratch Build Design: Swappable Rockwell Bronco OV-10

JasonEricAnderson

I made some good progress on this today at lunch. Finalized the wing joint that is based off the FT spitfire with the overlapping spar ends. Added the ailerons, servos, control horns, linkages, motors, and props.

Now I'm going to 'unwrap' it into a set of printable plans that I'll use to build the first prototype.

ISO view
LittleSnapper.png

SketchUp 7.png

Front
SketchUp 5.png

Side
SketchUp 6.png

Underside front
SketchUp 4.png

Underside back
SketchUp 3.png

A GoPro on the nose for scale
SketchUp.png

Overall dimensions
SketchUp 8.png

This is a bit bigger than I was expecting. It has a 4 foot wingspan. May have to design the wing tips to come off or fold up for transport.

Last edited:

JasonEricAnderson

Got the virtual model all flattened out. now I'm going to figure out where the A and B folds would be. To unfold the model I first had to simplify my 'virtual dollar tree foam' down to just an outer surface shell. This basically simplified the parts to a wireframe.

Wireframe breakdown
Foam Bronco Unwrapping wire.png

Once I had the wireframe I rebuilt the surfaces by using the line tool to draw over an edge or two then Sketchup filled in the polygon for me

Final surface rebuild
Foam Bronco Unwrapping.png

Now with my rebuilt surface I had to unfold each of the shapes to a flat surface. The Sketchup plugin Flattery really helped with this. I had to drop back and install an older version of Sketchup to use it (version 8) but it made this process go much faster than doing it manually.

Unwrapped and flattened fuselage
Foam Bronco fuse.png

Once that was done I did the same thing for the rest of the parts. They went faster since they were less complex than the fuselage.

All parts converted to base flat shapes
Foam Bronco Full unwrap.png

Now that I have the core shapes the next step is to factor in the folds and relief/50% cuts.

Beautiful progress, really looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Minor nitpick, the original was a 40 ft wingspan. I checked because I almost flipped out when I read your listing at 20 feet, since that would mean a 60" wingspan bronco would be giant warbird legal.

But I'll be watching, that's beautiful. Think I have some plans somewhere for a balsa built up Bronco, have to find those.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Good catch! I put "20ft wingspan" when it was a road/runway width. Fixed it. :)

This is incredible work! How long have you been using Sketchup? What version are you using? I would love to learn how to do this, but I have no idea where to start.

GunHog

This will be my next build. Done right I bet this will be a great FPV long range platform. Looking forward to lift data.

FeWolf

will be following this one, I have several Broncos I have built.
this will be a pusher, waiting for motor to come.
1184566_10202041442822344_391954608_o.jpg 1230654_10202041440502286_1522709097_o.jpg

Last edited:

JasonEricAnderson

Progress! Worked out how I'm doing the folds. I need to add the cantilever tabs for the nacelles to fit into the wings and the hole for the electronics to feed through. I'm also not sure how I want to attach the canopy since I want it removable. I may just do a tape hinge at the front of it and add some tabs to the side of the cockpit to friction grip the sides.

My local dollar stores are tapped out of white foam board. I may have to build my first prototype in skunkworks black style.
Foam Bronco Unwrapping With folds.png

Last edited:

GunHog

Not that I'm putting any pressure on you to HURRY THE HECK UP!:cool: However do you have a time line for beta build plans? I would enjoy helping to work out the wrinkles of construction AND I have a case of foam looking at me every time I walk in to the office.