Scratch Build Design: Swappable Rockwell Bronco OV-10

JasonEricAnderson

FT-OV-10 Bronco BETA 0.2

Here is the next version of the BETA plans. (STRESS ON THE WORD BETA. When I feel like I have a final version I'll post an article)
What's changed in this version
  • Fixed the spar tab locations
  • Deleted one spar (No need to two patterns)
  • Corrected spar overlap length (I think)
  • Fixed spar hole locations in wings and moved forward slightly to avoid nacelle tab holes and hopefully fall in a better part of the wing folds per Gunhog's input :)
  • Trimmed down vertical stabilizer to remove unnecessary material
  • Added KF style fold-over panel for front of horizontal stabilizer
  • Notched in the elevator sides 1/8" to avoid dragging on the rudder
  • Repositioned the nacelle tabs/notches on both the nacelle and wings. The power pod now uses one of the voids to anchor the front tabs of the power pod, thus simplifying the cuts/folds.
  • Reorganized the parts to make better use of space in the plans

I still haven't put in the shape for the wing slot because I'm not all that confident that my virtual fold over will match what happens with physical foam board. Once I build a new wing from these plans I'll trace the physical wing profile and transfer that back to the plans. I'm also thinking of having at least two versions of the canopy, the current, simplified geometry and another, more complex bit of foam board origami that looks smoother and more curved. It would be more scale and similar to the posts Gunhog put up. :)

beta_0_2_screenshot.png

I did get a new set of parts so I have matched motors, ESCs, and some larger batteries. However, I purchased the wrong battery connectors. I wasn't paying attention and got XT90's rather than XT60's. The 90s are HEEEUGE! they look like you can use them to jump start a car. I gave them to David W. at the FT Open House last week.

Photo Sep 20, 11 32 59 PM.jpg

Next steps for me:
  • Building a new wing/spar and getting that slot profile

Last edited:

GunHog

BETA 2.1

Nice work Jason!

So I'm looking at the fuselage and thinking of the wing and it occurred to me.

*Jason; "Oh shit he's thinking again...."*

We are both warping our brains around securing the wing to the fus.

KISS!

On most AC the fuselage maintains the majority of weight and houses the systems and motors. Well on this OV10 build that payload is spread out to the pods, main wing and tail assembly. Now take a good look at the OV10 photo and you will see the wing is molded in to the top of the fuselage not IN the fuselage. Also that the main fuselage protrudes forward almost as far as the pods/tail assembly stick out aft. Half the length of the AC.

ov10_kp.jpg

So why don’t we look at suspending the fuselage from the wing and not the other way around. This would also really help with transport, access and modification of systems.

If we take into account the width of the fuselage (using the Spitfire spar method mounting) it’s not really providing that much linear/torsion structural support to the wing at the join. We would be better off using full length bamboo sticks glued onto the bottom of the wing (center line out) splitting the join. One forward on leading edge and one aft to provide strength and rigidity to the wing join. Use two simple rectangles of foam on the fuselage as channel guide locks for the wing (Marked with center line hash to help center). Or make tabs on the fus and slits on the wing.

Skewers through the fuselage and rubber bands over the wing…..

OR tell me I’m smoking too much crack as I snort meth…….:cool:

GunHog

OOOOR! Cut two slit flaps (about an inch wide) center line on the wing that fold down 90* snugly on each side of the fuselage. Reinforced with tape and glue. Then use a skewer to go through the mounting flaps and fuselage. . . . Lol

GunHog

Jason that looks great. I like the way you mounted the rudder on the bottom guide first. Wish I had done that.

I have been side tracked for a friend who asked for one of my custom leather CCIWB holsters.
2013-09-29_13-16-34_883.jpg
Molding the upper with forward sight guide for smooth draw.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have been side tracked for a friend who asked for one of my custom leather CCIWB holsters.
Molding the upper with forward sight guide for smooth draw.
You do that in leather? Very nice! I've never seen anyone do the molded leather themselves, only Kydex.

Very cool build log. Can't wait for the sketchup tutorial, as I also have fiddled Edith it but any seem to figure it out. Keep up the good work and can't wait for the olans so I can build one myself

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I have to make a comment.

Jason,

I am EXTREMELY impressed with your tutorials. Your coverage of basics and interfacing as well as incremental addition of knowledge has set the bar very high for this type of instruction. Your ratings are well-deserved and I look forward to your future videos. The work you are doing on this project is also superb and I feel it will lend you to more complex builds in the future. Needless to say a twin is not for a beginner and your ambition to take it on in your young RC experience speaks well for your nerves! By nature they inherit twice the number of problems that can occur. For me, thats twice as many things to worry about when you get to the field.

In short... KUDOS TO YOU! Keep up the great contributions to this community.

JasonEricAnderson

Jason,

I am EXTREMELY impressed with your tutorials. Your coverage of basics and interfacing as well as incremental addition of knowledge has set the bar very high for this type of instruction. Your ratings are well-deserved and I look forward to your future videos. The work you are doing on this project is also superb and I feel it will lend you to more complex builds in the future. Needless to say a twin is not for a beginner and your ambition to take it on in your young RC experience speaks well for your nerves! By nature they inherit twice the number of problems that can occur. For me, thats twice as many things to worry about when you get to the field.

[BIG BOW]

It's the feedback and encouragement from the community that helps fuel my creations. Thank you so much for the very kind words.
:D !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason,
I have been filling your sketchup tutorials, which by the way are outstanding, and I keep hearin you say semi scale model. Have you ever though of building a scale model aircraft out of dtf but still using the power pod. Just wondering, I you do let me know.
Keep up the good work,
Nathan

earthsciteach

Jason,

100% agreed. Jason, you are a tremendous resource for all of us! Thank you for your efforts!

CTorres

Jason,
Great model and build! I'm following your thread with great interest and looking forward updates on your progress. I've made my own model using SketchUp, let me say I'm not all that experienced with SketchUp. The model has a 44 inch wingspan using a Clark Y airfoil, I still have a few things to hash out still. Any tips that you can share in your build of this model would be helpful.

Thanks and again great build!
bronco rev 1.jpg

GrumpyBadger

jason this was great to read through! Really it's almost like a tutorial for how to do this with Google Sketchup. Awesome job. The fact that she's a twin engine/ twin fuselage airplane just makes it all the more sweeter!

I've been thinking of surprisingly similar design, although only found in a particular cartoon that was a favorite of mine growing up, and now my two-year-old loves it too! :D (gotta raise em right!)
1b83c6abd0b4c9f7e3bc56a5f6c32ff4.jpg

earthsciteach

No worries, man. There is an enormous amount of info on this site. No one can know it all.

Great avatar, by the way. Awesome movie!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
nice avatar, and good taste in planes . . . might have to keep you around, Badger!