Scratch Build help for a very new pilot

timpossible0

So i can fly a full size glider and have a pretty decent understanding of flight dynamics, im just wondering what special considerations i need to make when making on such a small scale compared to full size.

I have a plan all set out of a pretty nice looking F16 foamboard scratchbuild, however im not too sure of how well it will perform, i dont even know what sort of size i should be looking at for motor, prop, battery etc

Im making it in sketchup 14 if you want a look give me a message and ill try email it to you. this forum does want to cooperate :(

I have added images here

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Tim, Welcome to the Forum!

By "full size", do you mean real person sitting in the plane or really big model? Either way you bring some piloting skills to the table, but depending on which, the skills are a bit . . . different.

As far as the build, looks nice, but have you considered building one of the proven prop-in-slot jets first? not saying yours won't fly and you shouldn't build it -- you should -- but perhaps it's better to hone your building skill on a proven airframe first? As it stands if it doesn't fly well, was it something you did in the build or something in the design? Hard to troubleshoot when you're not sure where the issue is.

Do yourself a favor. Build out the FT-22, or any of the myriad of profile jets first. Use their recommended power system and parts, and when you're ready to build your rendition, scale it to the same size and you can buy another set of the same parts, or harvest and reuse.

Good luck :)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
As someone that has only built 2 planes of other people's design, only one of which was when I was a noob and I didn't fly it for very long, I can tell you that it is a fantastic idea to start with a proven design.

Every plane I have ever built has some sort of "bugs". It's nice to know that the "bugs" are because of a bad set up or mistake in the build, not because of a design flaw.

I understand how tempting it is to design and build. There is nothing wrong with that route at all. I'm just giving you my 2 cents.

As far as full scale vs. RC. HUGE difference. The skills aren't transferable. At least not as much as you would think. I don't know from personal experience, but it's what I've heard from people with personal experience. The biggest thing to learn is orientation. An RC simulator will teach that and will help you to get your planes to last longer.

www.rcdeskpilot.com is a great free RC plane simulator. I'm currently working on making a ton of add on planes for it. I've already made about 24 that are floating around the forum in various locations. Here is most of them.

earthsciteach

I will jump on board with what's previously been said. DO continue to develop and build your F-16 design. But, if this is your first attempt at RC flight, start with an established design that gives you recommended power set-up. Or, buy a good trainer aircraft and learn to fly on that. The frustration level associated with learning to fly rc on a scratch-build is enormous due to the many variables involved.

Check out the plans on http://www.parkjets.com. You may find something on there that will make you happy and be a decent introductory airplane into RC. If you have any questions about what to do or where to go, just ask!