Scratch building a Bald Eagle

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I am speechless... this is (sniff) gorgeous. Yes flight video, plans. This is a must build. Hats off to you!

Blackbeltrrf

I am speechless... this is (sniff) gorgeous. Yes flight video, plans. This is a must build. Hats off to you!

Here is the Link I got the basic plans from a post by "RookiePilot2003". I made various modifications as I tried to layout during my build for everyone.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987049

I don't know how to post the actual PDF here so if anyone would let me know how I can post it up for direct access.

Thank you for your kind words btw.

Please post any builds so I can see what everyone is doing

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you go to the "Go advanced" tab below the reply window, it opens more controls and options across the top. Look for the icon with a paperclip to attach files.
I would love to build this one, but I know my airbrush skills are not anywhere near up to the task of making it look like yours! Beautiful build!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
If you go to the "Go advanced" tab below the reply window, it opens more controls and options across the top. Look for the icon with a paperclip to attach files.
I would love to build this one, but I know my airbrush skills are not anywhere near up to the task of making it look like yours! Beautiful build!

Start practising... :)

Blackbeltrrf

I'll need to! I did just order a new regulator so hopefully with better pressure control I can at least get closer!

You can do it. It is easy. Just envision what you want as a whole then just focus on one little area at a time then surprisingly it all comes together to look nice. Also you usually want to start with your lighter colors first then move to darker shades. What is important is to have fun :)

Blackbeltrrf

I was able to maiden the eagle today but it was in the air only about 5 seconds. I made a bad mistake and my motor was not mounted correctly. Upon releasing the eagle it proceeded to do nothing but loops. :) All fixed now I hope and will post video when I get a successful flight.

Blackbeltrrf

I finally had weather to maiden the scratch build Bald Eagle. I think it is tail heavy and I need to move the motor a little to the left. It was very difficult to fly. Wanted to go nose up and do left circles. The crash at the end hurt only the prop. A few adjustments and then back out. Any observations on my problem is welcome as well. Sorry for the distance away from me but I couldn't help it.

http://youtu.be/HubOHhLX7RQ

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The left turn might be explained by what appears on the video to be a significant warp in the wings. I could be an artifact of the video, but I would check them carefully since a span-wise twist (which is what it appears to be), will wreak havoc with stability.
The only other thing I can think of is a bit of down added to the motor so the thrust-line passes through the rear of the wing. That will help with the climbing tendency under power...

eagle4

It seemed a bit tail heavy, also felt like it might need some more power. Although that could have been because you're flying at half throttle.

On another note, you,should suggest to your camera woman to turn the phone sideways. You get much better videos and it shows up bigger on the computer screen, so it makes the plane easier to see

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
On another note, you,should suggest to your camera woman to turn the phone sideways. You get much better videos and it shows up bigger on the computer screen, so it makes the plane easier to see
I was thinking about posting the PSA video but in the end I didn't. Since i feel like I have been given a second chance, here it is! (Sorry, but I just love these guys!)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I was thinking about posting the PSA video but in the end I didn't. Since i feel like I have been given a second chance, here it is! (Sorry, but I just love these guys!)

And for some strange reason I feel compelled to watch it again! man, if only other PSA's were this entertaining . . .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have lost more time to their channel than I care to even think about. I'm not sure why. I can only claim in my defense that it's like a train wreck and I can't look away!
Glove and Boots, and Jaboody dubs also...Jaboody has some language that is not family friendly so I won't post a link, but you know how to find it if little ones aren't around...

Last edited:

Blackbeltrrf

Lol. That was too funny!! I have never seen that before but point we'll taken :). I will tell my wife that if she does it again it is over between us and 34 years of marriage is done!

Blackbeltrrf

It is cold but sunny with low wind today. Hope to get out of the office early to try my eagle again. My wing was indeed warped and I think I have it all straignened out now. I also added a little more down thrust to the motor. Video to come soon.

Blackbeltrrf

Got flight #2 in on the Eagle this afternoon after making the suggested changes and it flew pretty good considering the terrible wind. It was around 20 mph with gusts at 25 to 30 mph. All in all I will wait to make any further changes until I can fly when a little calmer unless someone has any suggestions they may see in the video. At one point even though the video only caught a glimpse of it, a Vulture started coming in close to fly with the Eagle. I hope to get some birds pestering the eagle with my on board camera through the year.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions to get it this far.