Scratch building principles?(A challenge for Josh S as well)

TheGoonSquad

Character Fish Sticks
Hey, Flitetest,

You guys are doing an absolutely wonderful job with getting people into the hobby(in fact, you guys are the reason I started flying) I might also add that Peter did a wonderful job on the Corsair!!! I can't wait to get it.

Let's get to the point, though. I've been wondering if you guys could do a video on basic principles for scratch building. For instance, what type of wing and airfoil should I use? Where should I place the wing on the fuselage? How large should I make the control surfaces? I really want to design my own airplanes, and it would be awesome if you guys could do this!

Thanks!

Also, I have a challenge for Josh Scott!
I challenge Josh Scott to design an aircraft. Maybe something along the lines of a swappable. You could teach him the basic principles and see what he does. Good luck!(If Josh and the Flitetest crew accepts the challenge, that is…)

cam

You guys should do video of all planes you have created (maybe only the ones on the store maybe not) flying all at once. Maybe put them through different challenges showing hat each one is good for.

earthsciteach

To be honest, Josh S has a "day job," that is very meaningful and is outside of FT. That is not at all a slam on him. He is a wonderful guy and his personality helped to make Flite Test. Wish he could be on more. But, he is not a die-hard RC guy. He IS a killer musician, though!

Scratchbuilding is the most rewarding aspect of the rc hobby for me. I like taking on a project and making things up as I go to see how they work out. So much so, that, I have more projects going than I can name! LOL!!!!

The answers to your questions about airfoils, wing planform and control surface size can only be answered by, "It depends." This is unique to every aircraft and that aircraft's intended purpose and scale. What that means is, you can have a freaking BLAST playing around with all sorts of variables! If you want some bumpers on the bowling alley, start with a proven design and modify it. Observe what happens. Figure out what the characteristics (which really are defined by purpose) of the aircraft should be. Then tweak until you get it. There are TONS of internet resources to help you along the way.

Bottom line is, there is not a thing wrong with trial and error. That's the fun part!!!

TheGoonSquad

Character Fish Sticks
Thanks for the advice, earthsciteach!
I've tried to play around with designs before using electronics that I salvaged from my now deceased cub, and I did have a SUPER fun time(I can't describe how much fun I had in words, really). The only issue was that the brushed motor from the cub was really underpowered, and I couldn't get the plane off the ground despite several tweaks in the design(in the end, I just converted it into a wonderful chuck glider =D). One day, I'll end up buying better electronics, and I'll have some fun with it!

I agree with you. It's too bad Josh Scott isn't on the show very frequently anymore…

Anyways, thank you so much for the advice, and I wish you the best of luck with your current builds!

earthsciteach

I need all the luck I can get! LOL!!!! Let us know if you have any questions related to the building of a specific plane of your design or not. It is much easier to offer advice within a set of parameters. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!