Scratch builds, material failures, stress testing and the general disorder in my life

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I really like where you’re going with this project! An upscaled mini zero sounds like an epic project, as does the Warbirds 150 Challange! :D

Stress Test

A bit more progress.

paper_slot.jpg

I cut a 1/4 inch posterboard strip and taped it to the elevator to reduce the slot size. I centered it over thr pins in the hinges. Then I glued it with elmers white glue. I found out poster board expands when wet. I hurriedly tape the entire length down and then weighted it.

weighted.jpg

I also got the rudder started. Ironed it and got a bit carried away. But the hinges are in and drying.

rudder.jpg

I also got started on the fuselage But I'm tired, I'll get pics of it tomorrow. I spent a good part of the day working on my car. I use wood glue and elmers glue on it.

Stress Test

Lessons learned.

1) use cellophane tape along the entire length of the slot patch, because glue causes it to expand.
2) use glue like spot welds, don't do it along the entire slot patch

I.E. I couldnt get the small pieces off and not it looks like crap

20201122_070801.jpg

Where a single piece is nice and smooth.

20201123_195603.jpg

And use glue sparingly.

20201122_070942.jpg

I weighted it down with a flat piece while it dried.

20201122_071058.jpg

The finished product cuts the slot width in half while allowing good movement. I'll put the ugly side down cause nobody ever sees the underside of an elevator.

20201123_195616.jpg

Updates and progress will be spotty for the next several weeks. I'm driving to TN to get mom for the holidays. Between that and my job, going nuts, car repairs, then hitting a deer yesterday morning and more car repairs tonight my life is very full for a while.

Stress Test

I split the rudder to assemble the tail section. To reinforce the cut I used some left over control rod and glued them into each piece. The pencil marks kind of indicate where. It is very rigid, more so than normal foam board. I used a t pin to poke the holes so they would be neat.

I also perfected the slot cover, cellophane tape and glue spots, it comes out nice.

Pins.jpg

Then I got it in the fuselage which I had been piecing together. This sort of shows the range of movement, it seems like it has enough.

Movement.jpg

And a shot of the major parts at this point. Since I build in the spare bedroom and tomorrow I drive 500 miles (MO to TN) to get mom for the holidays this may be all that is done for a few weeks. On the positive side I may snag a motor etc for it, I have the servos. I am waiting for the hinges for the ailerons and considering if I want to try incorporating flaps for better landing etc.

To get the cowling that round I put it in a large mouth jar for several days after slowly forming it. I am thinking about adding a bit of foam to the front and rounding the edge to better simulate the real aircraft.

Skeleton.jpg

Finally, I had some white glue dry in a plastic cup. When I pulled it out I played with it. It is really strong and light. The hot melt is great for quick builds but I like the properties I found in the white Elmers even if it is slower. I wouldn't use it on a Scout unless I was trying to get it as light as possible.

All for now, ttyl
Stress Test a.k.a. Marc :)

Stress Test

1200 miles in 2 days, mom is still asleep as is my wife who wisely stayed home.

I stopped in St Louis to get some lunch and in getting back to the Inter State i found a "Body Shop" according to their sign.

20201127_110903.jpg
20201127_111000.jpg

20201127_110957.jpg

20201127_111047.jpg

20201127_111105.jpg

And I thought MY workbench was a mess!

Oh and speaking of work bench, since mom will be staying in the spare bedroom Bev attacked the mess. I hope I can find everything!

Resized_20201127_084811.jpeg

My stash of foam boards are not behind the door, My Corsair 150 build is in our bedroom, I wonder where everything else went.... :eek:

(Full disclosure, most of my stuff is in thoses black totes with yellow tops, and I lugged it out to the barn)

Stress Test

Ok, I have had time to look at the aircraft I took pictures of, I knew it was Navy, but not exactly which Navy plane. its an Grumman S-2 Tracker. I haven't found the exact model yet.

I plan to find a 3 view drawing, and it will be my first FROM scratch build!

Hey, failure is always an option, Lol!

S-2-1.jpg

Retired.png

It has a radar dome on top, found that but haven't found the fairing part on the lower right yet. Maybe electronic counter measures? They used to take up a fair bit of space.

us2n_rnn_160_kp.jpg

I plan to finish the Corsair 150 first but by January I should have plans drawn up. And with twin motors it is sure to be fun! That chunky body will make battery placement easy.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, I have had time to look at the aircraft I took pictures of, I knew it was Navy, but not exactly which Navy plane. its an Grumman S-2 Tracker. I haven't found the exact model yet.

I plan to find a 3 view drawing, and it will be my first FROM scratch build!

Hey, failure is always an option, Lol!

View attachment 184972

View attachment 184973

It has a radar dome on top, found that but haven't found the fairing part on the lower right yet. Maybe electronic counter measures? They used to take up a fair bit of space.

View attachment 184974

I plan to finish the Corsair 150 first but by January I should have plans drawn up. And with twin motors it is sure to be fun! That chunky body will make battery placement easy.
I like the project idea! Twin motor planes fly sooo nice!

Stress Test

150 Corsair update. I have the tail assembly mounted, I mounted the main wing after some fitting. And I just got the rear cowling put on. I hope to get the underside rear cowling done tomorrow. I used hot glue on the cowling, it was the easiest way I think.

rear_cowl.jpg

To get the engine cowl started I peeled the paper and foamed it over 2 days and then left it in a jar mouth to try and get it completely round. When glued it I put it back in to form it and spread some hot glue on the seam. This is during the forming process.

engine_cowl.jpg

Servos are next! Well, linkages and then servos!

Stress Test

Since my nickname is Stress Test I think a "stressed" Scout is an appropriate avatar. I'll most likely update it with another crashed plane eventually.

This one hasn't flown right since I put it back together and today I smashed it through a v shaped tree, now I have an avatar.

So instead of another Scout I printed the FT Sparrow, Ima gonna start chunking it down the hill without a motor for now. I think I'll order the FT Twin Sparrow kit and some motors from FT in a few weeks, funds are a bit low right now.

Back to clipping / taping plans! :)

Stress Test

A FT Sparrow is a quick fun build, even though I messed mine up a little. I will say I'll be building another one if this flies like I have seen on their videos and I crash it. Yeah, I'll crash it, that seems to be a constant in my universe.

I got the glue hinge done, I had a left over set of FT control horns, slit the fuselage for control rods and got servos put in. Finally I got the radio set up for the servos. Honestly it didn't take very long at all. AND we had gone out to eat after work! Maybe 6 hours total on a scratch build where I'm sitting here watching TV, talking to family and had to clean up parts from the previous crash.

Im using a 4 AA battery to set it up, my FT ESC has a power lead and I have a FPV camera I think I want to put in it. I just have to figure out the power.

20201208_201653.jpg

It will fly Saturday weather permitting! :)

20201208_201702.jpg

I'm definitely ordering a FT Sparrow kit!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A FT Sparrow is a quick fun build, even though I messed mine up a little. I will say I'll be building another one if this flies like I have seen on their videos and I crash it. Yeah, I'll crash it, that seems to be a constant in my universe.

I got the glue hinge done, I had a left over set of FT control horns, slit the fuselage for control rods and got servos put in. Finally I got the radio set up for the servos. Honestly it didn't take very long at all. AND we had gone out to eat after work! Maybe 6 hours total on a scratch build where I'm sitting here watching TV, talking to family and had to clean up parts from the previous crash.

Im using a 4 AA battery to set it up, my FT ESC has a power lead and I have a FPV camera I think I want to put in it. I just have to figure out the power.

View attachment 185746

It will fly Saturday weather permitting! :)

View attachment 185747

I'm definitely ordering a FT Sparrow kit!
Awesome! I need to give the sparrow another try - maybe upscaled since I'm out of 5g servos and my first one with 9g servos was too heavy.

Winglet

Hello Stress Test,

I have enjoyed reading about your Flite Test adventure. I can tell you are really enjoying the experience.

I have had the pleasure of building many (nearly 100) FT and FT types of airplanes since the first year Flite Test showed up. I really love it! Along the way I have learned a lot. Just a couple of things to pass along to you. First, you probably want to stay away from those heavier foam boards. The extra weight really shows up in the tail section and creates the need to balance the airplane with a LOT of weight in the nose. The end result is a LEAD SLED. Try to stay with the new FT Makerfoam or Rediboard from Dollar Tree and lately most Dollar General stores. The result will be MUCH better flying airplanes.

The other thing I will leave you with is a little advice on the Sparrow. You have probably found out by now that it is REALLY tail heavy. The plan is really flawed in my opinion. Somewhere in the Flite Test forums you can find plans for an extended fuselage so you can place the battery out front further and there will be no need to add addition weight. Take a close look at my Avitar. That is an extended nose Sparrow. The Sparrow is pretty hot. Not a rookie airplane at all. You are on the right track with the Scout series. They fly really really well. For your next build I suggest the P40. It is fun and simple to build and a very nice flyer.

I'll keep monitoring your fun. Hope you keep this thread going.

Mike

Last edited:

Stress Test

Stretched Sparrow, yeah as I read about several and watched videos AND as I tried to balance mine I decided a stretched Sparrow was in my future.

Welcome to the Future! :D

I cut out and built an entire new fuselage today. And I built it right so I can remove the nose section!

20201212_091330.jpg

I stretched the battery tray and guide / stiffeners along with the fuselage in front of the wing.

20201212_091411.jpg

It is amazing how fast you can produce parts and assemble them once you get good with this technique.

20201212_142945.jpg

It also amazing how messy the dinner table is! So here are a comparison shot and the battery / video bay.

20201212_153449.jpg

20201212_153505.jpg

The Sparrow is pretty hot. Not a rookie airplane at all.

LOL! I'ma gonna crash it anyway, so why not go out in style?!?! :eek:

Seriously it has a few benefits, as a pusher I am less likely to smash the prop, I already built it, so why not sling it into the air and see what happens? With the longer nose I may be able to use a smaller battery to balance it out lowering the AUW and slowing the speed down, no promises though.

Oh and I plan to get Pyro (aka Beverly) to film it for posterity! (and your entertainment) :D

FrankFly

It seems to turn left easier than right. I'll work on the settings.

The first mini scout I built turned left. Always. Full right stick was less left. With it making circles in the sky, the breeze took it over a road so I dumped the throttle and let it fall into trees next to a playground. Paint had warped the vertical stabilizer quite a bit.

Once I got that straightened out, it flew ok until a wing folded at the root when pulling out of a dive.

I've made 2 more since, both 4 channel. My grandson and I chase each other around the sky. I recommend gluing a bamboo skewer right in the fold on the the underside of the wing. At least the inner 1/3 of the wing. I've had 3 FT models fold at the wing root pulling out of dives and that's been my solution.

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
The first mini scout I built turned left. Always. Full right stick was less left. With it making circles in the sky, the breeze took it over a road so I dumped the throttle and let it fall into trees next to a playground. Paint had warped the vertical stabilizer quite a bit.

Once I got that straightened out, it flew ok until a wing folded at the root when pulling out of a dive.

I've made 2 more since, both 4 channel. My grandson and I chase each other around the sky. I recommend gluing a bamboo skewer right in the fold on the the underside of the wing. At least the inner 1/3 of the wing. I've had 2 FT models fold at the wing root pulling out of dives and that's been my solution.
how about a popsicle stick or 2?

Stress Test

Well, I guess I goofed.

I wanted a color I could see against the sky. And lawn darts should be colorful. I picked up a can foam melting acid orange ....

20201215_180334.jpg

I pulled some of the paper off and the foam really didn't melt, badly, much, ... And the top of the wing isn't nearly as bad.

20201215_180311.jpg

And the nose cone, the only other part, didn't wrinkle much because it has 2 strips of cellophane tapr covering badly mated edges and a wrap where I figured it would wear and I would be tugging it apart.

20201215_180355.jpg

So I'll finish it up and NOT paint the rest of it with the orange acid melty stuff. Maybe I'll shoot it with black. Or just shoot it. :ROFLMAO:

Stress Test

Build 2 mostly complete, never flew the first one. So it'll either fly or it won't. :LOL:

To balance it I have a 1300 3s WAY far forward. It only has a 20 amp esc, so Im not sure it wont be a smoke show....

I'll have to consider that before I maiden it.

20201215_210152.jpg

20201215_210214.jpg

That's thin packing tape on the back of the hinge, and those are made of the lightest board I have as is the motor mount. No glue on the hinge as I generally lawn dart my models and don't wear the foam board out.

I like the basic design but the pusher does make it tail heavy. So maybe the next one will be a twin. I have 2 motors (2206 2300KV? something close, Im not digging them out) on it on a drone, I wonder how far / fast I could plant it? :D

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Build 2 mostly complete, never flew the first one. So it'll either fly or it won't. :LOL:

To balance it I have a 1300 3s WAY far forward. It only has a 20 amp esc, so Im not sure it wont be a smoke show....

I'll have to consider that before I maiden it.

View attachment 186374

View attachment 186375

That's thin packing tape on the back of the hinge, and those are made of the lightest board I have as is the motor mount. No glue on the hinge as I generally lawn dart my models and don't wear the foam board out.

I like the basic design but the pusher does make it tail heavy. So maybe the next one will be a twin. I have 2 motors (2206 2300KV? something close, Im not digging them out) on it on a drone, I wonder how far / fast I could plant it? :D
Awesome! I built one standard sparrow and boy did it ever need a lot of nose weight to make it balance! I shoved a 1500 2s and a 1000 3s all the way in the nose just to get it to balance. It flew alright, but I retired it after one flight. I want to build another one though - this time with the servos all the way in the nose. Hopefully that combined with a 450 3s I can get her to balance.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
A bit more progress.

View attachment 183879

I cut a 1/4 inch posterboard strip and taped it to the elevator to reduce the slot size. I centered it over thr pins in the hinges. Then I glued it with elmers white glue. I found out poster board expands when wet. I hurriedly tape the entire length down and then weighted it.

View attachment 183880

I also got the rudder started. Ironed it and got a bit carried away. But the hinges are in and drying.

View attachment 183881

I also got started on the fuselage But I'm tired, I'll get pics of it tomorrow. I spent a good part of the day working on my car. I use wood glue and elmers glue on it.
wood and elders glue on your car...why???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: