Servo noise in Video feed

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
After some troubleshooting, I verified that the noise I am getting is from my servos.

I am using an AIO Camera/VTX/Antenna thing and was powering it off the receiver's power rails. With some testing I verified that a separate BEC (using my arduino's regulator connected to the aux power port on the ESC) I can get clean signal.

Is this the best solution? a separate BEC connected to the aux lead on the ESC or is there a way to get clean power from the BEC in the ESC?

I did try adding a few different capacitors (ranging from 22uF to 200uF) to the rails on the receiver, but none of them had any meaningful impact to the noise.

My voltmeter even showed power line droop on the rails of 1-2% when the servos were moving and it isn't very responsive.

If it is relevent, I am using power pack A electronics (4 servos).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Three choices. run it from the balance plug of your battery. (can draw the battery down unevenly if its not running full power of the pack IE 5v from a 3s @11v). A totally separate battery dedicated to your FPV set up. Or an LC filter.

In any case I would get it off your receiver as you dont want to brown out servos and you surely dont want video failures either.

JasonK

I was looking at the dedicated battery option a few minute ago and that seems to be a fairly light weight option (~5g) for a 30ish minutes. The other thing I looked at doing was a separate BEC for the VTX system.

I agree, I don't like the balance lead option and taping off 1 cell as that would de-balance the battery every time.

If I am avoiding the receiver, then the LC filter seems to be not relevant as I have already verified a separate BEC is sufficient.

Thanks for verifying/confirming the options/reasons for changes. Just means desciding between the separate BEC vs separate battery.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You will be cheaper with the separate BEC.
Another option, FPV equipment that is happy with your flight pack voltage.
My equipment is happy with 12v, I tap all the cells of the balance plug, from a 3S flight pack.

Bricks

Master member
You could use the 1S batteries, I am like Merv I do not buy any
FPV stuff that does not run on 12 volts unless, like the Tiny Whoop or similar.

JasonK

@Bricks that was one of the options I was looking at. the separate BEC weighted about the same and meant less flitting with stuff (multiple chargers and conectors when plugging in/etc). Right now I am using a AIO setup that is ~5g and my AWU is about 215g. I have my timer on my TX set to 8 minutes and I am landing with between 20-40% battery life left depending on how hard I push the plane (I am mostly sitting at about 40-45% throttle).

I am definitely building a check list for what what I want in a 'final' FPV ship. and possibly a better place to fly.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
be aware some bec's also cause noise and may require an LC filter, ask me how I know ;)

its just part of the hobby.....electronic noises we need to chase from "not so compatible" parts

as a matter of fact I just induced some new noise in my race quad, I broke the video TX in a crash, I ordered the SAME TX so it was an easypeasy part swap...plug and play
the new TX is causing the noise....same part and part number, but made a couple years later....im soldering in an LCfilter to this video system too later today

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
be aware some bec's also cause noise and may require an LC filter, ask me how I know ;)

its just part of the hobby.....electronic noises we need to chase from "not so compatible" parts

as a matter of fact I just induced some new noise in my race quad, I broke the video TX in a crash, I ordered the SAME TX so it was an easypeasy part swap...plug and play
the new TX is causing the noise....same part and part number, but made a couple years later....im soldering in an LCfilter to this video system too later today

Pay attention to how your wires are run and what they cross. I find since I started using as short a wire as possible in combination with braiding the wires on video gear 95% of my video issues have gone away.

IMG_0803.JPG

JasonK

I am pleased to report that the separate BEC removed almost 100% of the noise from my video feed... so of course I tested it out by trying to fly though a 4ft x 4ft gate with my 24" wingspan plane.