Share your dumbest moments here!

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Hi there!
Here is the forum to share all those moments where your just like...bro, whats wrong with me!
One to start us off. As some of you may know here in Australia we are having lots of rain. Today the rain was supposed to stop for the day and start up again. Since there isn't much space to fly planes here I have to go out to the netball courts in town to fly. So, as I head out the door to go I remember to get my Tx. Socks in one hand and Tx in the other I was standing on the verandah till I was distracted and put down my Tx. I then got in the car. When I get there which like 30 mins away from where I live, I grab my stuff and realise I left the Tx at home. :mad: Decided to fly when I got home regardless of lack of space and when I get there it is too windy for flying. Still, I decide to fly and my poor old plane gets slammed into the ground on it landing gear and I break off a strut which is linked with the landing gear.
Oh well that's the way things are.
Post your stories below.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i just tried to crash my new $1000 plane because i didn't take enough time to calculate amp draw from the servos. i am not used to digital, high speed, high voltage, metal geared servos. they are running at 7.2 volts and when put to the paces where drawing more than the BEC in my 130A esc could handle. so each flight (2) i had my receiver brown out and cut the motor power. i was lucky to get it back in one piece.

always, always, always, check your numbers. even with a $2 foam board plane, take your time and make sure it all works.

i would have been a very grumpy person had it crashed.

20201204_175243.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
i once accidentally became a hoarder by buying tens of thousands of old model aviation magazines

.... oh crap I just did that actually

PXL_20201217_031130124.jpg

Story: I was buying a bunch of plans for cheap and the guy said he also had some magazines if I wanted them. I guess the definition of "some" varies a lot person to person. My car's suspension was very unhappy carrying this back to my house :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to sell them en masse on ebay. I paid nothing for them anyhow so any money made is pure profit. If that doesn't work they're going to the recycle center...

cdfigueredo

Elite member
When I received my first electronic, I decided that it was a good idea to test everything to see how well it worked. I put a beautiful 3-bladed 9x6 propeller on a 420W engine with a 60A ESC and a 2200mAh 3s battery and started to accelerate smoothly while holding the engine with my fingers.
I was quite impressed and nervous about the power of the engine even at less than 25% throttle, but my propeller was spinning in the opposite direction and I wanted to fix this. My transmitter is one of these simple ones, a Turnigy 5X, and I thought what I needed was to reverse the throttle direction switch to change the direction of the engine.
So, I cut the throttle completely and while holding the engine in my hand, I changed the position of the switch. Before I knew it, the engine had gone from 0 to 100 throttle, and jumped out of my hand. The propeller broke instantly and the three blades flew at full speed across the room. Luckily, I only got a little bump on my thumb without any cuts.

I could have lost several fingers or even been injured in the face. Luckily I only had a near heart attack.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
i once accidentally became a hoarder by buying tens of thousands of old model aviation magazines

.... oh crap I just did that actually

View attachment 186458

Story: I was buying a bunch of plans for cheap and the guy said he also had some magazines if I wanted them. I guess the definition of "some" varies a lot person to person. My car's suspension was very unhappy carrying this back to my house :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to sell them en masse on ebay. I paid nothing for them anyhow so any money made is pure profit. If that doesn't work they're going to the recycle center...
If that doesn't work mail them to me
What happened?
Big 5 ft foamboard Stearman, my first build. Pretty uneventful actually, I just stalled it on takeoff trying to launch from far too short of a runway. It cartwheeled and I lost both wings.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I learned long ago... NEVER tell bad stories on ones self... no matter how minor hehe. Specially if you were in the military and have friends that served with you. They are quite willing to step up and retell them at any and all public occasions whether they were there when they happened live or not. They also add or remove details to suit the time and place at will so the stories twist more and more with each telling over time.

RossFPV

The stupidest thing i ever did to a plane was with my hobbyzone duet. I gave it some throttle and launched it then i wanted to go higher so (here is the stupid part) i pushed the stick forwards. I think we all know what happened next...
Two pieces