Shark Aero

SSgt Duramax

Hi everyone. I have been considering purchasing some eclipson designs, I kind of wanted a sport plane, and I was leaning toward the Model D or the stream. However, when I was watching the Model A build video, I saw the Shark Aero, so I watched the video and it looks similar to the planes I was wanting to build for the low price of free-99. The guy that reviewed it seemed to like it pretty good, and I like some of his other content. Has anyone built it? I plan on eventually getting the model C maybe.. (Forgive me for thinking this, but the model A with big tires and printed in LW-PLA looks like it could be pretty capable with a reinforced wing, no?)

https://www.shark.aero/downloads/category/5-latest-version#

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Hi everyone. I have been considering purchasing some eclipson designs, I kind of wanted a sport plane, and I was leaning toward the Model D or the stream. However, when I was watching the Model A build video, I saw the Shark Aero, so I watched the video and it looks similar to the planes I was wanting to build for the low price of free-99. The guy that reviewed it seemed to like it pretty good, and I like some of his other content. Has anyone built it? I plan on eventually getting the model C maybe.. (Forgive me for thinking this, but the model A with big tires and printed in LW-PLA looks like it could be pretty capable with a reinforced wing, no?)

https://www.shark.aero/downloads/category/5-latest-version#
I built one but haven't flown it yet, it shows a lot of promise though

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_002305701.jpg
    IMG_20211216_002305701.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

SSgt Duramax

Sweet, I don't know whether I will do regular or LW, or try to do a hybrid. I just weighed my Model A (without flaperons and missing 2 servos) and it was 1lb2oz, so I am probably looking at a 750G AUW on that thing. I know it will fly, and I don't think it will be too bad, but it will be better with LW-PLA. I downloaded the files, I haven't read them yet.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Downloaded this plane on Friday, looking forward to starting it tonight as I just finished printing my Model A

SSgt Duramax

Here's a thread from 2 year's ago on this shark that some of us built. I still haven't flown mine yet.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/im-a-shark.61814/

Oh, thanks I searched the forum and didn't see it. Nothing showed for shark aero, and most of the "shark" search was for FPV.

Downloaded this plane on Friday, looking forward to starting it tonight as I just finished printing my Model A

Looks like we are moving about the same speed 3D printing planes. :) I am hoping to maiden my model A today. I have zero doubt it will fly well out of LW PLA. I see people complaining about the weight and how it flies with standard PLA, but in truth it isn't that much heavier than my P-40 with about the same wingspan. Judging by the wing design it will be easier to spin maybe, but it shouldn't be like trying to fly a brick.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Oh, thanks I searched the forum and didn't see it. Nothing showed for shark aero, and most of the "shark" search was for FPV.

Looks like we are moving about the same speed 3D printing planes. :) I am hoping to maiden my model A today. I have zero doubt it will fly well out of LW PLA. I see people complaining about the weight and how it flies with standard PLA, but in truth it isn't that much heavier than my P-40 with about the same wingspan. Judging by the wing design it will be easier to spin maybe, but it shouldn't be like trying to fly a brick.
Good Luck with the maiden, looking forward to hearing how it goes(y)(y). I have a question though , did you tape your control surfaces on or did you come up with something else? Not really keen on the tape thing , thought I would try to use some nylon hinges or something

SSgt Duramax

Good Luck with the maiden, looking forward to hearing how it goes(y)(y). I have a question though , did you tape your control surfaces on or did you come up with something else? Not really keen on the tape thing , thought I would try to use some nylon hinges or something
Tape all the way. This one is just a "proof of concept" for me. I plan on also making one out of PLA. I kind of made this one not even caring about it flying, just to see if I could. I started out not that optimistic that it would work out. Everything I read about the regular PLA one was negative, but the more I work with it, the better I think it will be. It certainly "feels" heavier than the scale says it is.

I saw the dude in the video CA'd duct tape, and the only duct tape I had was mossy oak... we all know what happened.

For my "nice" model A and maybe for the shark I will use something like this. Probably good for foamies too.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2535238

Honestly I bought black gorilla duct tape to affix the ailerons and it looks ok. It definately aint going anywhere.

20220117_135359.jpg

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

Didn't get to maiden today. I spent all day searching for those little screws you need to build it. I finally did some math and figured out #2 machine screws should work.

On a side note, I tried to knock off the cura settings from eclipson for the LW-PLA and started fuse 1 for the shark. Looks like it is stringing a little, but it is what it is.I'll post up results, and if it works ok the G code. I may just go ahead and buy an eclipson plan and back burner the shark.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Started with landing gear parts last night,too many of some not enough of others, LOL, amazed that the spring actually works.
IMG_20220118_060639233.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Started with landing gear parts last night,too many of some not enough of others, LOL, amazed that the spring actually works.
View attachment 215910
Nice, I loaded up the LW-PLA last night and gave the front of the fuse a go. It just started printing a solid mass, and it said 19 hours estimated print time. So I terminated the print and sprung for plans on the model D. I started using their LW-PLA g code, and the first part came out great, the second part not so much. I'll post up pics when I get home from work. Not sure what is going on there. Are you going to use PLA or LW PLA for this. I was worried that the 900g was going to be a bit porky.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Nice, I loaded up the LW-PLA last night and gave the front of the fuse a go. It just started printing a solid mass, and it said 19 hours estimated print time. So I terminated the print and sprung for plans on the model D. I started using their LW-PLA g code, and the first part came out great, the second part not so much. I'll post up pics when I get home from work. Not sure what is going on there. Are you going to use PLA or LW PLA for this. I was worried that the 900g was going to be a bit porky.
Using PLA+, ABS where needed. LW just a little pricey at this point to justify but the Super Chipmunk will probably be my first LW project. Here are the landing gear pieces for the Shark, turned out pretty well. wings are on the go now.
IMG_20220118_230603092.jpg

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
For the shark aero they have slots for ca hinges, it's super clean and will never come apart

SSgt Duramax

Using PLA+, ABS where needed. LW just a little pricey at this point to justify but the Super Chipmunk will probably be my first LW project. Here are the landing gear pieces for the Shark, turned out pretty well. wings are on the go now.
View attachment 215994
Cool, so I think I stumbled upon a happy medium between color fab LW PLA and standard, it is poly light LW PLA, I am about to post up about it. I just got my roll in and that is what I will print the shark in. Gotta finish my Model D first though, I just got my printer squared away.

SSgt Duramax

I have 3 of the 4 fuselage sections printed in the polylite. Looks good.

Fuse 3 got knocked over at the end of the print. I used the G Codes supplied, but that put the smaller end at the base. Only a layer was missing though, so I can still use it.... phew.

20220123_152227.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Fuse is printed out! I still need to print the rest of the tail feathers, but those are short ones I can do at home. I am getting ready for bed so I started a wing since it is a longer print. This is going to be a pretty plane.

20220124_000528.jpg