Should I give up on planes and stick with multi rotors?

Tactical Ex

Next list of items to learn/do:
1. hand launch with left hand (mode 2 tx) with underhand toss.

2. Visit Largo and Tampa flying clubs.

3. dual rates setup.

4. take video for next flight

5. landing gear to take off on the road or concrete sidewalk.
1. --I know some people use their chin but the belt buckle is a terrific tool for moving the throttle accurately while keeping your right thumb on the elevator and ailerons/rudder.

2.--If you need locations for parks to fly in Pinellas Park and Clearwater areas I have a few favorites.

3. --Dual rates are nice but I tend to favor expos for one rate and 100% throws for the other rate (normal and sport) I struggled HARD until I setup expos on my modified versa.

4. --Either documentation for help if you fail but I suspect bragging rights when it works

5. --I started off with my modified versa wing having steerable landing gear, seeing how your plane responds getting into the air actually provides excellent on-the-spot data for feeling out how your plane flies without the added risk of 5 or 6 feet to fall to the ground. I aborted more take offs than I followed through with in the start and I bet it saved a lot of heart ache.

Some other notes, if you have the power, drop the prop size to reduce torque roll.

I hope you know some good flying grounds near riverview, fl :) To me clearwater and st pete are on the other side of the bridge that take a long time to get to. I just fly in my community center's grounds, right next to the tennis courts.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
All great advice here, but definitely, the best is: *don't give up*

I quickly discovered this hobby was all about overcoming engineering deficiencies or pilot deficiencies. My first RC aircraft was a ParkZone UMX Champ RTF that I thought would be a great trainer. I watched the Flite Test Beginner series, and followed *some* of the advice. My first take off, on wheels in a tree lined park on a windy day... ended successfully! I only took off about 6 inches and landed immediately like Josh Bixler recommended for the first flight. I got overzealous with that success and decided to take off for a loop around the park, only to have the wind take my lovely micro yellow champ into the high branches of a large pine tree.

I didn't have the guts to try scratch building then, and didn't have the basic build tools either. So, my next investment was a RTF Delta Ray. That was much more successful a platform, but I learned from my first plane that I needed more space, and less wind. I also had invested time in a free simulator. My first flight was successful, but my landing was not. I hadn't learned the lesson about planning/visualizing your air space, flight patterns, and landing approach/pattern. I had to guess at where to land, and ran out of runway, but was lucky to have a chain-link fence act as an arresting net. Only, I came in hot enough that the nose fell off.

Now I had to learn how to make repairs.

At this point, I was getting discouraged with fixed wing flight, so I ordered a coaxial heli (MCX2) that was compatible with all the RTF TX's I had lying around (the toy one that came with the Champ, and the DX4e with the Delta Ray). Unfortunately, it failed out of the box with a stuck servo on the brick. Horizon Hobby was great, and sent a replacement board. Now I had more practice with repairing/replacing tiny parts. Turned out that, in the process of removing the old board, I must have freed up whatever was binding the servo (linear kind) and it actually now works (but is a spare part).

Fast forward (I started down this adventure in October 2013) to now, and my first build was the FT-22, and this past weekend, I flew my newly built VersaWing (with FPV intentions).

I've learned a lot, and shed a lot of dollars. Despite the expense, I really love this hobby. Both my FT builds flew great, with no TX trims necessary. I really love how they handle as well -- though they are very similar in characteristics.

Here's what I learned about both FT-22 and VersaWing that I haven't seen you mention in terms of setup:

Both of mine have a lot of up elevator deflection (more than I was comfortable with despite the advice from J.Bixler in the build videos). This turned out *perfect* -- again, I needed no TX trim on the elevators. I built my Versa as a pusher with the EMAX 1487KV motor they recommended as "the beef" option with an 8x4 prop. It needed A LOT of nose weight, even if I mount a camera on the nose (Mobius actioncam) -- over 100g without the camera, and with a 2200 mAh battery.

I never launch with over 75% throttle. The FT-22 almost flies out of my hands with the Blue Wonder motor and 8x6 prop. I like launching the VersaWing with an overhead launch, where I hold it near the nose and windmill my arm up and over my head, releasing just as my arm reaches vertical.

I have a few videos uploaded to youtube to show all my launches and even with the versa, how I test flew it initially to check the CG and control surface throws:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mak8tack/videos

Oh, one thing that almost bit me after I built the FT-22: that was my first time with a new RX that wasn't setup like a BNF or RTF. I had just watched the video a week before from the Flite Test guys about checking the control surfaces with your TX over the plane to make sure the rudder, elevators, ailerons work in the expected directions. Well, I had also watched the elevon mixing video (necessary for the FT-22) and had missed the bits about verifying the control surfaces were correct based on the input from the TX. I had just charged the battery and was going to take it out, when I decided to check, and sure enough, the elevator channel in the elevon mix was reversed! If I had pulled up elevator, I would have gotten down elevator! That would have resulted in a nice lawn dart if I didn't catch that!

Good luck with your continued perseverance in this rewarding (eventually) hobby!

Last edited:
Fixed my FT Flyer. Made it a littlecrash resistant.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tactical Ex

I covered all the leading edges on mine right off the bat. If you haven't already, you should put them on the rudder too. The rudder is large enough that I've caught it on things and it would have broken it if it wasn't re-enforced.

After breaking 3 props trying the throw plane technique, I figured that I am going nowhere, so decided to switch back to wheels.
The wheels seem to slide further apart with distance, so I added a central brace to the landing gear as in the pic.
Now, I am able to run the plane on the ground without breaking any props.
Next step is a little more speed, and takeoff and immediately landing the plane on concrete footpath.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I posted photos from my iPhone. They were upright on the phone, but flipped when I uploaded it to the forum. Call it one more thing that goes wrong with things I try.
I read the other day that the easiest way to paint a persons face is to flip the face upside down. Maybe this upside down pic is appropriate since it highlights the landing gear brace.

nistrum

hahah, yeah its true. your brain has a preconceived idea of what a face looks like so rather than draw what your trying to copy it draws what it expects to see....
#
have you tried to fly the Flyer indoors somewhere?

I am using the dt750 with a 1147 prop. It wanted to take off vertically, but I held it back when I checked the throttle range.
The broken ends of the prop are the result of the landing gear doing a leg split causing the prop to hit the floor during the floor run.
This was before the brace. Luckiy, both sides of the prop broke the same amount.
Now, I think it is a 1047 prop.

earthsciteach

See above. That is WAY oversized for this plane. Don't worry about taking off vertically. Build it to with the recommended power set up and it will behave much more nicely.

Tactical Ex

I mentioned this at the very end of my last post. Drop the prop size ... no need to change anything else, if you have the power in the motor you don't have to change anything else.

This is going to help you in 2 ways ...

1. reduce torque roll
2. using a smaller prop will force you to get more airspeed when launching from the ground with gear which will give you a more accurate feeling of how the plane will behave when you have equal pressure on all of the control surfaces.

earthsciteach

Peddiparth- that may still be too much torque and motor. The mass of the motor, itself, does contribute a fair amount of torque. Just hold a motor in your and without a prop and throttle up. You will feel it. That airframe is so light and small that it won't take much to cause it to roll. Even with the appropriate sized motor and prop, you will still have to be aware of the torque.