• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ShrubSmacker, Beta Release

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
After seeing how many people have looked for a Mighty Mini sized FT Storch, Bushwacker, or a UMX Timber clone. I decided to take on a quick challenge to make a plane. I've got the basic design done and flying very well, but there are other things I want to try out, and I don't have the parts to test those ideas. So I'm releasing this as a Beta design until all variations have been tested. The design flies really good without any bad tendencies. It can be built with one and a half sheets of foam. As seen from the video she'll fly quite stably even in heavy wind.

I'm horrible with names so I simply titled the plane exactly what it is until I can get a better name. Please post or PM me an idea for a name if you have one.
:UPDATE: I'm going to title the plane ShrubSmacker Thanks to @SquirrelTail

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

I also incorporated removable landing gear into the design, I currently have it held in by friction and haven't seen any signs of it trying to come loose.
IMG_1505.JPG

Here's the Maiden Video, it was pretty windy, so much so that the plane blew over as I was trying to take off the first time, and gave me some trouble trying to take off the second time.
Plans: ShrubSmacker Plans V1.0.2
Note: When you fold over the wing, the spar will be blocked by the servos this is by design, simply cut out a small area out of the spar where the servo touched the spar.
I want to test this design with a wing using flaps and ailerons and possibly slats, but I don't have enough servos. If you would like to try building the plane setup that way please PM or post asking for the plans.
I would also like to try building this really light by removing all internal paper and then power it off of the FT A pack with a 2s battery. If you build the plane that way please post or PM me your progress so I can finalize the design.

Last edited:
this is a great design.

goodluck luck finalizing the design. I'm sure others will be able to be your beta builders.
would you need to be an experience flyer to pilot this plane?
good luck!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
this is a great design.

goodluck luck finalizing the design. I'm sure others will be able to be your beta builders.
would you need to be an experience flyer to pilot this plane?
good luck!
Thanks, I think if you can fly the 4ch TT without any problem then this plane would be a good next step.

Kendalf

@Grifflyer Great design! Amazing how well it flew under such windy conditions!

Just wondering, but it seems that you may not want to add the additional weight of two servos for flaps for a mini sized plane. Why not try programming flapperons? If you already have a 6-channel receiver then you could do that with the hardware you have as is.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Grifflyer Great design! Amazing how well it flew under such windy conditions!

Just wondering, but it seems that you may not want to add the additional weight of two servos for flaps for a mini sized plane. Why not try programming flapperons? If you already have a 6-channel receiver then you could do that with the hardware you have as is.
While it would add weight flaps will make a pretty big difference from flying without flaps. I've tried flaperons before and I ended up with very limited aileron authority and terrible stall issues, and from what I've seen that seems to be a general trend.
Thanks for the idea though!!!

kdobson83

Ugh... Too many planes I want to build, not enough time or hanger space... Guess I'll have to add this to the waiting list... 😒👍☺️

Brett_N

I've got enough spare parts around, I'll whip one up with flaps. I may already have a wing roughly the same size with flaps, ailerons AND spoilers - I built one for something but don't remember what.

Will be a couple weeks delay though - off to Europe for 2 weeks on Biz...

Quick note - unless I'm missing something plans should say 4x 5g servos ;)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've got enough spare parts around, I'll whip one up with flaps. I may already have a wing roughly the same size with flaps, ailerons AND spoilers - I built one for something but don't remember what.

Will be a couple weeks delay though - off to Europe for 2 weeks on Biz...
Thanks for helping out!!

Quick note - unless I'm missing something plans should say 4x 5g servos ;)
Yep, you're right thanks for the catch!!