Simple Cub... With a TWIST

Steve Fox

It's not a matter of if, but when...

Repairs are a regular thing for me, because they are so cheap and easy to do, I'm prepared to take risks and just laugh when I damage something.

When my phoenix 2400 hits the sky's I'll treat that one differently but it's not the sort of plane you do crazy manoeuvres with anyway and is being built to take my high altitude flights to the next level.
With a wingspan of 2.4m and will be carrying 8000mah or more of power flight times and range will be huge, I've not decided whether to fit my 1.5w or 3.4w vtx units yet but ether way, I'll have substantial video range using directional antennas and a antenna tracker.

I can't wait to get it airborne but so much to do to get it ready for flight.

Steve Fox

ever wondered what the FT Cub would look like as a FT Mini?
Simple, just place it against a giant lol.

although it has by a small amount, the biggest wingspan of all my planes, i have a balsa Cessna L19 which is even bigger but i couldn't be arsed to take it down from the ceiling.

The Phoenix is bought but the Cessna L19 was a right result, i was given it for free as a damaged airframe and no electronics.
i repaired the airframe and converted it from Petrol to electric, its only flown once with me as i dont have access to suitable land locally to take of and land from with it and my belly landers which i fly from the farmland just down the road win over taking a drive of several miles lol.
im trying to get permission for a place at the moment from the local authority who own a football pitch, its super local and would be perfect.
DSC_0301.JPG
DSC_0302.JPG
DSC_0304.JPG

Steve Fox

Well, I can officially say that NOT flying is bad for you lol.

Was going to go out flying and then I thought, na, I'll weld those pegs onto that mini motor instead.
After cutting the tubes I'd left sharp edges intending on smoothing them once the job was done but before I got that far I walked past it and the sharp edge sliced my leg ha ha.

So off to the hospital it was to go get stitched up, at least the nurse was super cute :)

DSC_0315.JPG
DSC_0314.JPG

DSC_0311.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well, I can officially say that NOT flying is bad for you lol.

Was going to go out flying and then I thought, na, I'll weld those pegs onto that mini motor instead.
After cutting the tubes I'd left sharp edges intending on smoothing them once the job was done but before I got that far I walked past it and the sharp edge sliced my leg ha ha.

So off to the hospital it was to go get stitched up, at least the nurse was super cute :)

View attachment 140496 View attachment 140497
View attachment 140494
Chicks dig scars... and pilots (y):cool:(y)

Steve Fox

Chicks dig scars... and pilots (y):cool:(y)
I'm covrred in scars from accidents lol
I'd be screwed without the NHS, I'm always getting patched up, I can't imagine what it's like in countries where you have to pay for hospital treatment!

Today's 3.1 mile exercise was not exactly comfortable with stitches in my leg but I couldn't not do it :(

Last edited:

Steve Fox

Had my own rudder issues two days ago, the hinge failed and jammed it hard over.

I recovered from it and managed to limp it back at a crazy angle fighting it with the ailerons but when it came t cutting the throttle it just spiralled to the ground lol .

already replaced the vertical stab and patched the wing (some more lol) and was back flying the next day :)

Here's the rudder going bad and also a cloud surf after repairs (that video has pics of the damage and repair at the start) , on the flight where the rudder failed i didn't have my hd cam running so i only had the crappy DVR footage from my fpv feed.

Steve Fox

Winds are close to gale force here today so unfortunately I won't be getting to test it but I've built a 57.5" FT Storch wing for the cub for giggles and to see if I can extend my flight times.
Flying with an all up weight of 1.1kg on a stock cub wing demands 80% throttle just to maintain altitude and gliding involves a lot of up elevator and I decend 2x faster than on a 2700mah 3s from being so heavy.
so a lot of the potential from carrying a 4200mah 3s is lost.

The storch wing will give substantial gains in lift and should also allow me to land at a much lower speed than I'm forced too currently when I'm flying heavy :)

The cg point on this wing barely affects the original cg point on the cub, it's made it a fraction more nose heavy but I carry 30g of weight in the form of car wheel balancing weights and can easily remove one or both of them if it turns out to be too nose heavy in flight.
DSC_0333.JPG
DSC_0332.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Winds are close to gale force here today so unfortunately I won't be getting to test it but I've built a 57.5" FT Storch wing for the cub for giggles and to see if I can extend my flight times.
Flying with an all up weight of 1.1kg on a stock cub wing demands 80% throttle just to maintain altitude and gliding involves a lot of up elevator and I decend 2x faster than on a 2700mah 3s from being so heavy.
so a lot of the potential from carrying a 4200mah 3s is lost.

The storch wing will give substantial gains in lift and should also allow me to land at a much lower speed than I'm forced too currently when I'm flying heavy :)

The cg point on this wing barely affects the original cg point on the cub, it's made it a fraction more nose heavy but I carry 30g of weight in the form of car wheel balancing weights and can easily remove one or both of them if it turns out to be too nose heavy in flight. View attachment 141064 View attachment 141065 View attachment 141066
I am wondering how you get up to those heights and distances with just batteries that fit in these airframes. You say all it takes is a 4200 mah

Steve Fox

I am wondering how you get up to those heights and distances with just batteries that fit in these airframes. You say all it takes is a 4200 mah

I can hit the clouds on a 2700 if they are fairly low, say at 3000-4000ft and i climb fast enough but its exhausted by the time i get there and i have to immediately start gliding.

Im hitting 5000-6000ft on a regular basis on the 4000 and 4200 mah packs i use, they are a very snug fit and the absolute maximum that will fit inside the power pod.

I couldn't help myself , i had to go out and try the storch wing on the cub even though its 35mph winds gusting to 40 here at the moment lol.

i am pleased to report that the cub flew great!
lift is up by massive amounts and gliding requires much less up elevator, i did not need to change any nose weight and kept the balance as it was and it was fine :)
i hit at least 6500ft today despite having to spend large amounts of time in level flight trying to make back ground where id been blown a mile away by the wind.

i spent 25 mins in the air on a 4200mah 3s, some of that was spent on about 30% throttle on a very slow decent from altitude but i recon on a calm day it should be capable of 30+mins of level flight on a medium throttle.

Unfortuately , my hd cam did not record fr some reason so i have no footage but it will be in the air again very soon, we can all be sure of that ha ha!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I can hit the clouds on a 2700 if they are fairly low, say at 3000-4000ft and i climb fast enough but its exhausted by the time i get there and i have to immediately start gliding.

Im hitting 5000-6000ft on a regular basis on the 4000 and 4200 mah packs i use, they are a very snug fit and the absolute maximum that will fit inside the power pod.

I couldn't help myself , i had to go out and try the storch wing on the cub even though its 35mph winds gusting to 40 here at the moment lol.

i am pleased to report that the cub flew great!
lift is up by massive amounts and gliding requires much less up elevator, i did not need to change any nose weight and kept the balance as it was and it was fine :)
i hit at least 6500ft today despite having to spend large amounts of time in level flight trying to make back ground where id been blown a mile away by the wind.

i spent 25 mins in the air on a 4200mah 3s, some of that was spent on about 30% throttle on a very slow decent from altitude but i recon on a calm day it should be capable of 30+mins of level flight on a medium throttle.

Unfortuately , my hd cam did not record fr some reason so i have no footage but it will be in the air again very soon, we can all be sure of that ha ha!
That is nuts, 5000ft. You should put a digital thermometer to record the air temp up there to see what your battery is subjected to as far as cold temps. Maybe insulating your battery will give you longer flight times. I'm sure the larger wing helps with the lighter air density up there as well

Steve Fox

That is nuts, 5000ft. You should put a digital thermometer to record the air temp up there to see what your battery is subjected to as far as cold temps. Maybe insulating your battery will give you longer flight times. I'm sure the larger wing helps with the lighter air density up there as well

no need for insulation, im pulling a solid current from the pack and my 2700 packs come down burning hot (why my cub has vent holes in the nose) and the 4000 and 4200 packs come down warm during spring and summer and i actually get a longer flight time on the cooler days.
i have been getting 3mins more out of my packs these last couple of days where its cooler vs the 32c weather we have been having.

lipos have a Goldilocks zone, they like a band where its not too hot and not to cold to perform there best and useable capacity is reduced outside those temps, very cold temps will zap usable capacity but do no damage which is why in the winter i close up the nose vents but the summer the very high battery temps i sometimes land with are not at all good for the packs chemistry!

although im flying at a decent altitude its still not high enough for the temp to get really low compared to ground level, my tx supports temperature telemetry sent from a module connected to my rx and i have one (it came with my tx) which ive never used but i might have to hook it up and see what the difference is :)
DSC_0339.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
no need for insulation, im pulling a solid current from the pack and my 2700 packs come down burning hot (why my cub has vent holes in the nose) and the 4000 and 4200 packs come down warm during spring and summer and i actually get a longer flight time on the cooler days.
i have been getting 3mins more out of my packs these last couple of days where its cooler vs the 32c weather we have been having.

lipos have a Goldilocks zone, they like a band where its not too hot and not to cold to perform there best and useable capacity is reduced outside those temps, very cold temps will zap usable capacity but do no damage which is why in the winter i close up the nose vents but the summer the very high battery temps i sometimes land with are not at all good for the packs chemistry!

although im flying at a decent altitude its still not high enough for the temp to get really low compared to ground level, my tx supports temperature telemetry sent from a module connected to my rx and i have one (it came with my tx) which ive never used but i might have to hook it up and see what the difference is :) View attachment 141117
What Tx are you using again?

Steve Fox

What Tx are you using again?

Flysky FS-i10

It came with a bundle of 4 different sensors- RPM (optical), RPM (magnetic), Temp, voltage and something else which i still dont know what its for which looks like a hub but the sensors can all link and one then connects to the rx without that unit so i will have to look it up.

the only thing i need is voltage and i modify my rx's to monitor voltage on one of its pins without the need for an external sensor so till 5 mins ago id not even taken those sensors out the packets and ive only just connected them for the first time in 2 years lol

I managed to reset all my displayed telem when telling it to display the temp, i normally have tx voltage, rx voltage which is my flight packs voltage and i also have rssi which i have used a few times to track my plane when ive come down in tall crops ha ha.

The radio can display 4 different sensors or parameters of my choice on the home screen or everything currently available to the tx in a full screen display though a menu

DSC_0341.JPG

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Flysky FS-i10

It came with a bundle of 4 different sensors- RPM (optical), RPM (magnetic), Temp, voltage and something else which i still dont know what its for which looks like a hub but the sensors can all link and one then connects to the rx without that unit so i will have to look it up.

the only thing i need is voltage and i modify my rx's to monitor voltage on one of its pins without the need for an external sensor so till 5 mins ago id not even taken those sensors out the packets and ive only just connected them for the first time in 2 years lol View attachment 141119
What was the price tag on this unit?

I ask just because I have the low end of the Spektrum brand with the DXe and it is very limited as far as it's versatility, and communication. I am just getting frustrated with it as of late. It was good to get the basics down for flying and hooking up basic links to 4 channel and some flaps or landing gear. But now I am noticing there are ways I would like to set things up and it won't do it, or I just can't find it.

So i need a new set up to be more consistent and versatile. Just looking at options

Steve Fox

What was the price tag on this unit?

I ask just because I have the low end of the Spektrum brand with the DXe and it is very limited as far as it's versatility, and communication. I am just getting frustrated with it as of late. It was good to get the basics down for flying and hooking up basic links to 4 channel and some flaps or landing gear. But now I am noticing there are ways I would like to set things up and it won't do it, or I just can't find it.

So i need a new set up to be more consistent and versatile. Just looking at options
Love my tx and couldn't live without the color touchscreen but if you are not already used to a touchscreen then the jumper T-16 is a feature packed radio with more options available in it than mine.

My tx can do everything I need and the touchscreen makes setups, model swapping and fast adjustments in settings super fast and easy and the graphical interface coupled with that touchscreen makes complicated configurations a straight forward process but I would snap up a T16 tomorrow if it also had a touchscreen but I use that feature every time I fly and won't buy a tx without it now I have been used to having it for two years.

My tx is pricey, It sells for between $143 and $180.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Love my tx and couldn't live without the color touchscreen but if you are not already used to a touchscreen then the jumper T-16 is a feature packed radio with more options available in it than mine.

My tx can do everything I need and the touchscreen makes setups, model swapping and fast adjustments in settings super fast and easy and the graphical interface coupled with that touchscreen makes complicated configurations a straight forward process but I would snap up a T16 tomorrow if it also had a touchscreen but I use that feature every time I fly and won't buy a tx without it now I have been used to having it for two years.

My tx is pricey, It sells for between $143 and $180.
I paid $100CA for mine and I have to hook it up to a laptop to program anything. The tether cord for programming was another $27CA, and if you don't already have a laptop there is that cost as well. So realistically I spent that much or more already to get the cheap stuff. Just makes sense doesn't it... wanna buy a DXe, smokin deal!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Steve Fox You already know my views on your posts about your "Achievements" but here is an achievement you are apparently not aware of!

It is considered as ill-mannered to hijack someone else's thread. I invite you to start your own thread and allow the OP, (Original Poster), to continue on with the purpose he raised this thread for! Posting on someone else's thread is normally on point with the OP unless there is an open thread. A series of posts, off topic, in rapid succession normally warranting their own post, (a different topic), can be seen as hijacking the thread!! Raising your own thread costs nothing!

I look forward to your posts on your own thread!

Thank you for your understanding!

Have fun!