Solved Simple Scout Power Pod - Is there down/right thrust?

dap35

Elite member
I'm looking at the plans for the Simple Scout and it doesn't look like there is any downthrust or right thrust. Am I missing something?
I am building a scaled up Scout and need to adapt things a bit.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It doesn't come with it but i used it on mine and it worked out good. How much of a scaled up version are you doing?

dap35

Elite member
I'm scaling most of it 134% and stretching the wings a bit to 55" span.

So you did add some downthrust and right thrust to your setup? How much?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It was 1/8" on three corners. Total difference of 1/4", these pics might give you an idea of what it looked like...
20190810_170529.jpg 20190810_170557.jpg
Worked well actually, I like to punch on the throttle every once in awhile so it definitely stabilized it well.

134%, impressive. Why that size?

Matagami Designs

Master member
134% is about the limit for fitting the wing on a std sheet of foam board.

I dont have any thrust angle on my simple scout and this thing has taken a few hits and still flies great.😂 good luck with your build, a big scout sounds like it would be fun.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea like i said it isn't designed with it nor is it needed, but I liked it in mine and it served well for what i needed it to do.
134% is about the limit for fitting the wing on a std sheet of foam board.

Whats the power system you are using on it?

dap35

Elite member
Yea like i said it isn't designed with it nor is it needed, but I liked it in mine and it served well for what i needed it to do.

Whats the power system you are using on it?
I'm planning on a C-pack and starting with a 3s battery. I'm still pretty new to this, so I am not pushing anything hard yet.
I will start a sep build thread once I start cutting.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you are going with a C pack why would you want to upscale the Scout, to try to make it slower? It is a great plane for beginners at the size it is with the C pack. I used a motor that was most considered to much for the Scout and it was fine, at original size. If you are new upscaling does add complications to the build but is unnecessary to do so with just a C pack. Just because it is one of the largest pack FT offers doesn't mean it is overpowered. The Scout will fly on the B Pack 2212, but just barely. The C pack isn't really much of a step up, it is noticeable but not in the grand scale of it all. I would suggest to stick with the original size and just fly it. You will learn to fly just by crashing, a lot. No matter what size the Scout is, you will crash it, over and over again. At this point the size won't make the difference. Trust me i went through so many planes over the past year in the hobby. You should check out my YouTube channel you will see how much I crash and how many planes i have gone through. Not to say that your experience will be the exact same as mine, but you will probably be doing repairs before you even knew how it happened for the first few times out. Just my 2 cents

dap35

Elite member
If you are going with a C pack why would you want to upscale the Scout, to try to make it slower? It is a great plane for beginners at the size it is with the C pack. I used a motor that was most considered to much for the Scout and it was fine, at original size. If you are new upscaling does add complications to the build but is unnecessary to do so with just a C pack. Just because it is one of the largest pack FT offers doesn't mean it is overpowered. The Scout will fly on the B Pack 2212, but just barely. The C pack isn't really much of a step up, it is noticeable but not in the grand scale of it all. I would suggest to stick with the original size and just fly it. You will learn to fly just by crashing, a lot. No matter what size the Scout is, you will crash it, over and over again. At this point the size won't make the difference. Trust me i went through so many planes over the past year in the hobby. You should check out my YouTube channel you will see how much I crash and how many planes i have gone through. Not to say that your experience will be the exact same as mine, but you will probably be doing repairs before you even knew how it happened for the first few times out. Just my 2 cents

I wanted to scale up for two reasons. First, I wanted to have a removable wing and turtle deck, with top access for the electronics, and second would be to smooth out the flight characteristics - less subject to wind, etc.
I have a mini-scout and while it flies nicely, any wind pushes it around quite a bit. The thing I like least about it is mounting the battery from the bottom.

I appreciate the feedback on the motor size. I still haven't figured out motor sizing yet, so the c-pack was purely a guess, as it is what the larger storch kit uses. I have not ordered a motor yet, so that can change.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh ok cool. I just didn't know where you were at with the flying. Its a typical thing for new pilots to be so scared of crashing that they try to scratch every last bit of advantage out of a first build, when it really doesn't matter unless you start to figure out the fundamentals.

I did do a top hatch on the one I showed you pics of. If you are looking at getting a motor for that size and will work in any plane the C pack will fly but just be better there are plenty 2826 1000-1200kv sized motors that would do really well. That and a 40 amp ESC on 3s and you are golden. I almost want to do a scaled up scout now lol.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Oh ok cool. I just didn't know where you were at with the flying. Its a typical thing for new pilots to be so scared of crashing that they try to scratch every last bit of advantage out of a first build, when it really doesn't matter unless you start to figure out the fundamentals.

I did do a top hatch on the one I showed you pics of. If you are looking at getting a motor for that size and will work in any plane the C pack will fly but just be better there are plenty 2826 1000-1200kv sized motors that would do really well. That and a 40 amp ESC on 3s and you are golden. I almost want to do a scaled up scout now lol.

Top hatch on a scout? How did I miss that? I dont mind the bottom mounting. I use velcro and rubber bands to hold it up tight but a hatch would look clean. Hmmm... Big scout does sound like fun. I have mine on a old emax B pack. Cant imagine the fun I would have with a slightly larger motor.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Top hatch on a scout? How did I miss that? I dont mind the bottom mounting. I use velcro and rubber bands to hold it up tight but a hatch would look clean. Hmmm... Big scout does sound like fun. I have mine on a old emax B pack. Cant imagine the fun I would have with a slightly larger motor.
Try the Scout on the C pack man. You will see what it is capable of.

There was some decent mods to the wing to make it work, but the top hatch was so convenient

dap35

Elite member
Try the Scout on the C pack man. You will see what it is capable of.

There was some decent mods to the wing to make it work, but the top hatch was so convenient
My first plane in my restart of flying was the AeroScout, which has top access. For me, I just feel safer and less awkward in installing the battery from the top instead of reaching from the bottom, right next to the prop to connect the battery. Even with the throttle disarm set on the TX.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My first plane in my restart of flying was the AeroScout, which has top access. For me, I just feel safer and less awkward in installing the battery from the top instead of reaching from the bottom, right next to the prop to connect the battery. Even with the throttle disarm set on the TX.
Same. I just like having the battery inside the airframe as opposed to exposed