slope soaring

mayan

Legendary member
Had a good breeze the other day, thought I'd give slope soaring a try!

Bare bones 2 channel TT isn't exactly ideal but with enough wind it works just fine (at least for my skill level!) lol

Man thank you so much you for this video it really taught me a lot. There is nothing better an watching someone new to something give it a go it breaks a your fear level, at least it broke mine. One Wednesday my wife and I are going to the beach I'll take the TT maybe I'll be able to SS i :).

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Man thank you so much you for this video it really taught me a lot. There is nothing better an watching someone new to something give it a go it breaks a your fear level, at least it broke mine. One Wednesday my wife and I are going to the beach I'll take the TT maybe I'll be able to SS i :).

Glad you enjoyed it! Its actually kind of addicting, I think I'm going to try again with my lidl glider next time!

Good luck on your adventure!

bracesport

Legendary member
@Hondo76251 - very nice indeed - I have been a bit too constrained (time wise) to travel somewhere nice like that to slope - from my park launches (trials) into the wind I feel like it might be similar to what you experienced - very very keen to give it a go too - I have my DLG tail rebuild for the task, and I might even throw off my 1.5m hybrid too! :LOL::D:ROFLMAO:

bracesport

Legendary member
I could be on for lunchtime tomorrow at my monster site - should be a light southerly directly into the cliff!

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.55.50 AM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing @rockyboy @Piotrsko - tossing the ship at a second outing at the park broke the tail joint so she has been waiting for a repair - today I strengthened the tail join with a 3D printed part (also features a Y tail mount for another experiment) and rebalanced the ship on the CG points - then I added a tad more weight to give it a bit of nose down - no more park - off the cliff with her this time!

IMG_6602.JPG
IMG_6603.JPG
IMG_6604.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing @rockyboy @Piotrsko - tossing the ship at a second outing at the park broke the tail joint so she has been waiting for a repair - today I strengthened the tail join with a 3D printed part (also features a Y tail mount for another experiment) and rebalanced the ship on the CG points - then I added a tad more weight to give it a bit of nose down - no more park - off the cliff with her this time!

Nice repair.

I would have a hard time throwing a non powered glider over the cliff. Good luck and don't toss it unless you have the right wind.

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing : do you have any decent sized buildings out there in this flatlands? Like maybe a hundred ft long and a story or two tall?
Oh we do have buildings but where you can fly legally would be the problem. I might have to do a little searching through Google maps with elevations and see if I can find some accessible slopes within a decent drive time.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
You don't THROW anything, you just let go. If the lift doesn't try to fly the plane out of your hand, don't launch. @Hondo76251: I like your site, but I think something was a bit off. It was windy but maybe not straight on. The mini bowl looked ok though.

Wasn't so much a "sight" as a place to stop and open a gate and I thought... wonder if I can fly here! Lol

I have a good place in mind to go but it's a long way off the beaten path, but an hour drive from the house out through the breaks on a jeep trail to get there but I think itll be worth it when I get time...

Winds are always off in Wyoming! I sail (boats not planes) out here too! Lol

Piotrsko

Master member
Wasn't so much a "sight" as a place to stop and open a gate and I thought... wonder if I can fly here! Lol

I have a good place in mind to go but it's a long way off the beaten path, but an hour drive from the house out through the breaks on a jeep trail to get there but I think itll be worth it when I get time...

Winds are always off in Wyoming! I sail (boats not planes) out here too! Lol
Heck no, that place looks better than my slope. Much can be said for handy.

Wildthing: I have never had anyone stop me from sloping a building when I was at street level. Well, maybe the federal buildings anymore. Getting roof access is a different story. My life's wish is to slope a cruise ship at sea.