slope soaring

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - Jono's home cliff site is a 40-minute drive from home (not horrific, but not so great for a quick outing - my southerly site from my first Slope outing is only 7 minutes away - I have a north-facing site close as well (third image) and so for solo flying I can cover both wind directions fairly close to home - nothing like flying with friends though!

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.22.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.24.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.24.23 AM.png

Wildthing

Legendary member

bracesport

Legendary member
here is a video of Jono flying my Vista after trimming it with a bit of down elevator - it was happily flying hands-off, and Jono showed me it can be aerobatic - I am still sifting through the hat cam for any footage of me maiden flying the Vista!

I am super happy with my own design and build performing so well! :D

bracesport

Legendary member
here is some hat cam video of the Vista alternating between Jono and myself - see if you can spot the plane (it's a bit like where's Waldo)! Apart from the camera angle being too low, there must be a white balance issue!

for me, it is more about remembering the flights (given the sketchy video)! :D

Jackson T

Elite member
here is a video of Jono flying my Vista after trimming it with a bit of down elevator - it was happily flying hands-off, and Jono showed me it can be aerobatic - I am still sifting through the hat cam for any footage of me maiden flying the Vista!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for the Vista's maiden for a long time :). It looks like it flies beautifully!

bracesport

Legendary member
@Jackson T - you and me both (probably one year)! It flew really well, even a bit easier than the Spitfire (probably a better wing loading). Although I did not land it, Jono made it look easy compared to the Spit - The Vista has a fibreglass sheeted FB core wing which held up really well in the super-strong wind! :D

I might keep the folding prop on this one!

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - the flying came with a huge rush of adrenaline but once flying it was super relaxing - luckily, I did not have to land it so there was no Stress with that - also, now that I have flown in low and high winds I can see the benefits of the different planes and weights! :D

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
@Jackson T - you and me both (probably one year)! It flew really well, even a bit easier than the Spitfire (probably a better wing loading). Although I did not land it, Jono made it look easy compared to the Spit - The Vista has a fibreglass sheeted FB core wing which held up really well in the super-strong wind! :D

I might keep the folding prop on this one!
The wait finally paid off! By the way, what weight fiberglass cloth did you use on your Vista?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
here is the fairly average hat cam video with me swapping out with Jono - I cut out heaps of footage but is still the longest flights I have ever done - I labeled the sections with the alternating pilots! :D

Wow. That's some serious flying going on! That looked like a close call at about 4:40! And can Jono pull off a landing, or what??!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

What a great flying plane! No wonder you're so stoked! You designed and built a superb slope soarer! Congratulations!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
here is some hat cam video of the Vista alternating between Jono and myself - see if you can spot the plane (it's a bit like where's Waldo)! Apart from the camera angle being too low, there must be a white balance issue!

for me, it is more about remembering the flights (given the sketchy video)! :D

Sounds like it flew really, really well - again! It sounded as though someone was looking for some advice on his 3d printed design, as well. I'm glad you found a group that you can fly with. It seems to be doing wonders for your confidence! :)