Votes: 37 92.5%
  • I'm not sure why I would want to do something like that

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No way, it will be extra weight for just a few seconds of "smoke"

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

cdfigueredo

Elite member
The major change is mostly related to the housing and assembly (between v1 & V2), correct? So you expect any major change to performance with this model?
The most significant change is the possibility to generate a more realistic smoke effect instead of just a falling powder, because the powder falls into the hood and the incoming air blows it out and mixes it. (this is yet to be tested). However, the size of the tank and the auger are the same, so there should be no increase in the duration of the effect.

There is also a slight reduction in weight, some slack adjustment in the auger and a more refined and user friendly design. In addition, the mounting pylon has been moved more to the center of the system.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hi all!!! Please take a look at this video (min 27:35) by Julius Perdana, he tested this smoke system using an EDF as many of you had suggested here in this thread. This system is very simple but unfortunately is limited by cost and extra energy consumption but provides ease and reliability. Perhaps with a smaller EDF the same effect could be achieved. I would like to hear your opinions

cdfigueredo

Elite member
In the same way, spending on an EDF seems to me to be unnecessary, simply replaceable by this Motor + ESC combo powered by the same battery.
1705005489776.png

cdfigueredo

Elite member
And ?????????????? How did the test go?
I have not yet been able to test it in flight, however in the static tests the results were satisfactory. I had to cut about half an inch off the cone exit because the previous exit hole was too narrow and caused the powder to get stuck in the exit. Cutting a piece off caused the outlet diameter to double. I hope this will solve the clogging problem. But until I flight test it we won't know.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Ok, I did several flights last week but I couldn't film because I went just to fly. The generator works as expected, however... I don't think it's really a big plus. It's taken me a while to figure this out, or maybe I already knew about it but I was still obsessed with the idea of making it work. Conclusion: to get a decent duration of effect, you need too much powder, which means a bigger device and therefore more weight. However, it's still a fun thing to try at least once.

So I'm ending this project, at least the variant of using powder as the source of the effect. I don't rule out the use of pyrotechnics or other methods to generate smoke, but my limited knowledge in those matters and my current lack of possibilities to experiment make it not possible for me to continue with this research. Even so, I will keep an eye on the progress and contributions of those who want to continue with the project. Many thanks to all those who contributed their ideas and experiments during this thread.