Votes: 37 92.5%
  • I'm not sure why I would want to do something like that

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No way, it will be extra weight for just a few seconds of "smoke"

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I am worried that for air collected from plane forwards movement and propeller wash that the restrictions to the openings in this model will be too harsh.

I do think the shroud assembly looks markedly improved as compared to the last version. How do you keep the top and bottom halves of the shroud connected?
More than anything this prototype is to let my imagination run wild and conceptualize something improved based on the previous concept, I'm not 100% sure if it will work or if it will be more or less effective than the previous one, but I enjoy the process of conceptualizing.

The upper cover will be inserted into the pylon and screwed from below, and the lower cover will also be used to close the tank compartment (eliminating the need for the previous cover) and will be fixed with two screws (in the future these screws can be replaced by magnets).
Screws will go on the red marks
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-29 at 9.03.49 AM.jpeg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
EDIT: this new design makes me want to stick a small fan on front for active air flow
I don't think it will be necessary to add the fan. I am convinced that the airflow will be sufficient to expel the powder. But nothing is set in stone, only flight tests will tell the final word.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I tested today the first prototype on my modified bushwacker and i have to say it works. Today was a really cloudy and windy day so the effect could only be seen when the model passed in front of the trees in the background. I used wheat flour for these tests and made a total of 3 flights, the first two without using the canopy and the last one using it. I have to say that I could not appreciate significant differences between using it or not, apart from the added weight. Maybe if I used some colored powder the effect would have been more noticeable on a cloudy day like today. it would also be convenient to try other less compact powders, wheat flour is quite heavy and tends to make compact lumps easily.

However, I can say that it works and it's fun. Actually the smoke time is quite short, but I think it can be adjusted with various modifications. What is for sure is that it is much more convenient to use a 2 or 3 position switch to operate the mechanism, because when using the pot I found myself in every attempt pushing it to the end of the travel.

Here is the video

Tench745

Master member
I tested today the first prototype on my modified bushwacker and i have to say it works. Today was a really cloudy and windy day so the effect could only be seen when the model passed in front of the trees in the background. I used wheat flour for these tests and made a total of 3 flights, the first two without using the canopy and the last one using it. I have to say that I could not appreciate significant differences between using it or not, apart from the added weight. Maybe if I used some colored powder the effect would have been more noticeable on a cloudy day like today. it would also be convenient to try other less compact powders, wheat flour is quite heavy and tends to make compact lumps easily.

However, I can say that it works and it's fun. Actually the smoke time is quite short, but I think it can be adjusted with various modifications. What is for sure is that it is much more convenient to use a 2 or 3 position switch to operate the mechanism, because when using the pot I found myself in every attempt pushing it to the end of the travel.

Here is the video
That looks pretty promising!
A thought on the transmitter: If you have something capable of more complex programming you might be able to set a momentary switch to advance the servo a certain amount every time you press it.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
That looks pretty promising!
A thought on the transmitter: If you have something capable of more complex programming you might be able to set a momentary switch to advance the servo a certain amount every time you press it.
I have a JumperT16 so it could be achived, i will try it later.

chickenhawk

Just a couple of dumb questions, is there need for the air intake at the front? ( as the screw is moving the flour to the rear anyway) And would slowing the RPM of the servo help?

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Just a couple of dumb questions, is there need for the air intake at the front? ( as the screw is moving the flour to the rear anyway) And would slowing the RPM of the servo help?
There are no dumb questions here 😅. I couldn't notice any difference between using the air intake or not so I will say there is no need, and also u save weight if not use it.
And yes, slowing the servo rpm helps to enlarge the duration of the smoke but also decrease the amount of powder dispensed so the smoke effect is also attenuate. I need to find the right balance.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Just a couple of dumb questions, is there need for the air intake at the front? ( as the screw is moving the flour to the rear anyway) And would slowing the RPM of the servo help
Also using other powers could help a lot.
Btw is there any site to buy colored powder at a reasonable price?

chickenhawk

When I was trying to get my other design to work I mixed coloured poster paint powder with baby powder. Got from dollar store, cheep as all get out and does not take much to tint the whole batch. I think it was $3.00 for 1/2 a quart.

chickenhawk

Some thing like that, it was a dry poster paint ( you mixed with water) but mine were in large tubs. Sold by weight but the bottle was just over 1/2 a quart in size. Bright red seamed to work best. The rest went to the grandkids, Not by choice LOL

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Some thing like that, it was a dry poster paint ( you mixed with water) but mine were in large tubs. Sold by weight but the bottle was just over 1/2 a quart in size. Bright red seamed to work best. The rest went to the grandkids, Not by choice LOL
Youtube is full of videos on how to make colored powder using cornstarch and food coloring. I just had to look. I saw another video where they used acrylic paint and I happened to have bought a small bottle of red at the dollar tree a few days ago. I already have my mixture made, tomorrow I will dry it in the sun.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
The weather here is cloudy, so I didn't have the patience to dry it in the sun. I put the oven at 170 degrees with the door open to let the humidity out and it is almost dry. Soon I will have a fight with my wife when it's time to use the blender :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-02 at 3.47.19 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-01-02 at 3.47.19 PM (1).jpeg

This shade of red looks quite bright, although I think it will lighten up a bit once it is completely dry, but I'm happy with the result. I am amazed at how easy it is to make colored powder and it takes relatively little time.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
It is a little surprising that with how easy it is to make this type of colored powder and having so many models with a bay to throw candy, bombs or parachutes, I have not seen before any RC model making a fire extinguisher.

2007FApetrilloplanes-p01.jpg
AT-802.png
firefighting.jpg

Apis

The major change is mostly related to the housing and assembly (between v1 & V2), correct? So you expect any major change to performance with this model?