So what about Orange receivers with the Spektrum DX6?

mjmccarron

I'm going to add my stats to the thread. I have the following:

4 - Orange Rx R615X all 4 are 2 years old.
1 failed in flight after about three months
1 failed between batteries at aprox. 1 year old
2 still working fine with no range issues

2 - Orange Rx RX3S also 2 years old
1 DOA out of the box Would not enter bind mode. Because of the complete hassle of HK's sub par customer service, I have never gotten it resolved.
1 Works fine. Limited range but no problems.

10 - Lemon DSM2 compatible Feather Light 1 year old
1 Died between flights on its 2nd time out (3rd flight) The plane was not damaged. It worked up until I unplugged the battery and when I plugged in a fresh pack it would not connect or bind.
9 No problems

I have never had a problem with a Spectrum receiver. I have 5. 1 - AR9020, 1 - AR9350, 1 - AR400, 2 - AR636 + a bunch of bind n fly UMX's
They are of various ages and the AR400 is about 4 or 5 years old. Prior to these I had the original DX6 with the old DSM protocol. I had 4 receivers for that and no issues. i gave those to my son-in-law and he still flies with it.It's 8 years old.

I use mostly Lemon's in my foam board planes but have no problem with the OrangeRx units for foam. I only dislike HK's horrible customer service but heck, for the price, it's acceptable. I will not use anything aftermarket in my large balsa models. It's just not worth the risk when that much time and $ is on the line. I have heard of people having problems with certain Spectrum receivers but in 8 years I have never had an issue with them.

I realize that discussing radio's on this or any forum can be a very charged topic. I hope I have been objective here.

Mike

Last edited:

Gryf

Hi again, and thanks for all the great feedback. I just finished setting up all my planes with Orange receivers, and am looking forward to giving them a workout this year.

Cheers,

Gryf

Theflyingfoam

As great as orange recievers are in can't reccomend them because banggood.com sells dsm2 recievers that I have found to have better reliability and range. Here's the kicker, there are only $4.99 search dsm2 on banggood and scroll until you find it. I believe they Are made by redcon.