Sonic Series | nnP-39

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It'll handle 4S, but I don't have any packs that small ATM -- the remaiden will be 3S :( She should still have a respectable showing, but she deserves more. Propping on 4S does get interesting, however -- particularly if you have a fuse and spinner stealing useable length from the prop.

For the moment I've propped her with a 5.5x6.5 -- mean lill' thing being thrown at 2200kv -- but I've got a 6x5 on hand to swap out if that doesn't prove thrusty enough.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
This motor has more punch than the stock Funfighter motor...performance on 3S is in between a funfighter motor on 3S and a funfighter motor on 4S. But I guess if your goal is to have the plane bust through the 100 mph mark, 3S won't get it there of course.

I just installed a battery restraining strap that loops all the way through the wing and around the bottom of the wing, with velcro providing fore-aft restraint. I've had too many battery-and-hatch ejections from inverted flight to take a chance. Ready for maiden now (photo). I started to do the wing fillet thingys, and realized that more than likely I was going to make it look worse instead of better, so I decided to do without those. Ditto for the intake.

Attachments

• p39_4.jpg
    p39_4.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 10

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Maidened the P-39 this morning. Went to a spot at the club where there's a small downslope followed by some long grass and weeds (makes a pillow for failed launches). I needed it...upon release, the plane pitched down and corkscrewed into the weeds. Retrieved the plane, put in about a dozen clicks of uptrim, tried again. Second launch was still tricky, but I got her successfully underway. And then I had to take out all that elevator trim. And trim the ailerons a little. And I had to flip down to low rates, which I had set per the throw gauge on the plans. The higher rates I launched with were too sensitive (the throw gauge rates are good!). The plane definitely had too much downthrust. If I slowed to near stall, then goosed the power, it would pitch down.

Also, it wasn't as fast as my Corsair funfighter with the same power system, and it was making a funny noise, like something was rubbing. After I got the plane down and inspected it, my conclusion was that under power, the "give" in the pod mount combined with the downthrust angle must have been pulling the motor can into contact with the inside fuse lip (which, like I said before, was only a miniscule clearance to begin with). So I borrowed a hobby knife from another club member and cut a chunk out of the lower fuse lip. Then I flew a second flight. After another 'tricky' launch, which I barely salvaged, the plane settled down to better behavior again, and was quieter and faster (so I guess that verified that the motor had been rubbing the inside fuse on the first flight). I enjoyed doing the kind of low fast passes back and forth that are the stock-in-trade for funfighters.

I tried for a third flight, but after two more failed launch attempts with the plane diving for the ground each time, it broke the prop. In hindsight, I should have gone back to putting in a bunch of "uptrim" for launch, to counter the downthrust. I guess I was in a mindset that the plane is trimmed up now, it should launch better. Something I noticed before one launch is that if you hold the plane in your hand and run the power up, you could feel it pulling downward and twisting.

So apparently the optimal thrust angle is different for the power system that I'm using. (but oddly enough, that is not the case with my Corsair funfighter, which flies neutral with either power system) So I'm going to make a new power pod with only a small amount of downthrust and try again.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Herk thanks for the report. Your motor is swinging a larger prop so that is likely why you had some more torque roll, add a little more right thrust and you should be okay. For down thrust I wonder if the HK FF have a non neutral hstab? This could be built into the design to compensate the thrust angle.

I don't know how the down thrust would change, if any, based on KV/prop diameter but I've still not had issues on mine. On my prototype I had the issues you're describing but It's been solid now on the v1. At any rate, get it dialed in how you like and enjoy!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh and for rates.. Yeah the throw gauge isn't a h/l, it's MAX. As in, if you have higher rates than what's advised, you won't be able to fly without crashing.

snMB9fR.jpg

Last edited:

SOOFLY

I would think it is something with your computer/printer/software that is causing the images to show up incorrectly. When I print at work the printing is very slow as well, I believe it has to do with plans being a raster type file instead of vector. I just printed the plans tiled and Reduced file size to PDF files here. See if that helps you any.

I tried changing my printer settings, but your tiled plans were the only way I could print them correctly on my home printer. Could you tell me what version of Adobe your using and how you resaved the plans as tiled?

Thanks

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I tried changing my printer settings, but your tiled plans were the only way I could print them correctly on my home printer. Could you tell me what version of Adobe your using and how you resaved the plans as tiled?

Thanks
I used Adobe Acrobat Standard, not Adobe Reader (free version). I think version 10.x but was at work and not 100% as it changes from time to time. I resaved them by using Acrobat to print to a PDF file with a tiled output just like I print to a printer.

I am glad the tiled plans got you going. Let me know if I can help you with any other plans in the future.
-Aaron

drifttoy

So that's 3 total? Are you gonna be able to get video of them flying? I'd love to see!

Im not sure. I do plan to have a camera out there with a tripod and hopefully an on-board camera as well. We will see. We need the weather to clear up here in florida first.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Success with revised power pod

The new power pod with just a small downthrust angle (and the same right thrust angle) did the trick. No more nasty tendencies on launch! I flew three batteries, and used less and less launch precaution with each launch -- first time with a bunch of extra 'up' elevator trim and launching over a downslope, second time over the downslope but with no added trim, third time over level ground and no extra trim. All launches were with calm wind (no headwind to help), and all done with a similar launch angle as shown in the FF15 video you posted today -- thrown pretty hard at a good 'up' angle -- except that I launch low-wing planes with an underhanded shove instead of overhanded, because I can grip at the CG and get a more reliably even release that way. All launches were successful and drama-free!

Inflight, the smaller downthrust angle does result in a very SLIGHT climb tendency when pushing to full power from moderate-speed, trimmed cruise. When I do the next one, I may do just a hair more downthrust. Or I may leave well enough alone.

I put the plane through it's paces, and it flies just great! I can't think of anything bad to say about it when compared to the Corsair funfighter, which for me is the Gold Standard in funfighters. Inverted flight is just as stable (in spite of the fact that you're flipping from dihedral to anhedral), and takes about the same amount of forward stick (about 20 percent). Stalls from level flight are a gentle wings-level nose drop. I flipped to a higher-throw dual-rate aileron (which I have set a good bit higher than the throw-gauge 'maximum'), and the plane rolls like a drill bit. With the motor and prop I am using, the vertical acceleration is just as grin-inducing as with the Corsair. The plane looks great in the air.

Like my other funfighters, I decided that I need to land this one on the asphalt runway, not on grass. With grass landings, it just grabs the turf on touchdown and jerks around too much; it's too much potential trauma to the motor mount, wingtips, etc. So I will need to tape up the belly where it makes contact on the sandpaper-like asphalt runway surface, like I did with those other planes.

Attachments

• p39_4.jpg
    p39_4.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 9

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Herk that's great news. I'm glad my Sonic Series performs on par with your favorite Fun Fighter, I take that as high praise.

Now I just wonder if the Sonic Series nnChipmunk will be as good :)

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Made a new power pod and this time mounted a Funfighter motor (the stock one, which is a little higher kv than the 'replacement' one). I refurbished the battery area so I can fit in the 4S/1000 LiPos that I have, even with the velcro tiedown strap and velcro sidestick (photo). Time to see how fast this baby can go!

Attachments

• p39_5.jpg
    p39_5.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 4

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I can't seem to get the 1000s when they are in stock. I got some 1300 compacts I might try.. but that's a lot of weight.

offaxis

Can't wait to build this plane.

Is the aluminum spar necessary for the mighty mini 1806 setup? I'm looking for a slow fun cruzer. I'm also planning on building the 800 nnChipmunk and stuff it with a blue wonder setup. I'm not much of a speed guy.

Tater76

So I finally started the assembly last night, and am not happy with one of the wing tips. I got too much glue in it, and it was too hot and melted some of the foam :( (see pics) I think it will still fly awesome though. The beveling of the wing was a new thing for me, so it was trial and error. I cut all I could off with the exacto, then sanded level with a block and 100 grit. The results were awesome, but the execution could have been better on my part.

I will try the mini setup first, just to get a feel for the plane, then try a parkjet motor I have for fun ;) Thanks again Nic for taking the time to put these plans together, and inspiring me and others to try new planes!

DSC08843.JPG DSC08844.JPG DSC08845.JPG DSC08846.JPG DSC08847.JPG

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Added some starts to the scheme last weekend. Been so busy i forgot to post it. I wanted to do more but ah its good enough for me
20150805_192609.jpg