Spektrum DX5e Radio with OrangeRx R615X Receiver?

defhermit

Hey there,

Hope this question doesn't annoy anyone, as I assume this kind of thing is answered a million times already.

I've been flying RC planes for a little over a year and have used a Hobby King transmitter, then "upgraded" to a Turnigy 9x with better results but still a few problems. I've been holding off buying a better Spektrum or better transmitter, but for Christmas a relative randomly bought me a nano qx and a Spektrum DX5e transmitter. I realize that it's still an entry-level transmitter, but I feel its probably significantly better radio than my Turnigy 9x.

So here's the thing. I have 4-5 flyable flite test planes, including a brand new FT Explorer that I'm readying for maiden. I'd like to try flying with the DX5e instead of the Turnigy 9x this year, but I've never spent the ~$50 per receiver for the real Spektrum receiver options.

Can I assume that the Orange options I see on Hobby King will work with my Spektrum DX5e transmitter? I'm really asking because I already bought one of these:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=65950

If these cheap Orange transmitters work out I'd like to buy a few, but I really can't see myself buying 3-5 $50 real Spektrum ones, you know?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
OrangeRX uses the same protocol as Spektrum so it should work just fine. If you want to find more Spektrum compatible receivers you can also check out LemonRX.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I purchased a pair of LemonRx rcvrs last year because the price seemed so nice. They work fine though I did have a strange issue with one ESC that made me have to rebind over and over. Otherwise it worked fine with my DX6 and I would recommend it. I'm allergic to spending more than necessary.

My son has had problems with the DX5e but that was many years ago on DSM2 not DSMX and even then Spektrum always worked with us to resolve it without extra charges. He too is now a satisfied Spektrum xmtr owner (also a DX6).

Another xmtr I am curious about is the DXe as a 2nd xmtr to have around for little $ and to usher others into the hobby with a buddy box.

defhermit

Hmm... well, I already went with Orange. I've never had any problem dealing with HobbyKing so that's not really a concern. Is Lemon really better than Orange? Like demonstrably? I think this shipment got delivered to my house today so I guess I'll see when I get home!

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I got 5 dsm2 Lemons for about $25. Can't beat that price. I put one in my FMS Extra 300 and had no problems whatsoever. There's something sort of comical about using a $5 Rx in a $220 plane. (using Spektrum DX5e Tx)

HilldaFlyer

One thing I like about LemonRx is the long antenna wires. Getting greater diversity separation is useful. I've had a couple of situations with my OrangeRx that I think proximity to the battery blocks 2.4GHz. As a tip, keep the OrangeRx away from signal blockers (batteries, motors, carbon fiber, lead, etc.) I've had great experiences with Orange. In my models that I have a time investment, I put in a FrSky Rx.

dgrigor02

I have lots of dsm2 lemon recievers. Work just fine for me since I'm only line of sight and the range is farther than I can see orientation anyways. Tough to beat $5 if you can wait for shipping. Headsuprc ( based in FL if your in the US ) though has a knock off reciever that will connect as dsmx instead of just dsm2. So now I just order them instead. 4ch is only $8 and 6ch $10. I take it out of the case usually to save a little weight.

CavRecon

Where are you guys finding LemonRx receivers for $5? I see the cheapest for $9.95 and $12.95 for diversity.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

$5.75 each or 5 for $26. DSM2 version not the DSMX.

They ship from China so expect a couple of weeks to arrive.

I almost forgot I ordered them. And yes, I got the DSM2 version. The benefit of DSMX is it will keep searching for a clear channel while DSM2 only checks for a conflict on startup then never switches again. You run a small risk of interference but for what I'm flying it really doesn't matter that much. Chances are I'll crash it myself long before the tx - rx connection is lost.