Spektrum DXs Is Not As Good As I Thought

bigdano711

Bought it April 10, 2021 and it took a crap on me today, February 7, 2022. Didn't even last 10 months.

Thankfully, I discovered it before I took off. While trying to taxi, I lost control when the rudder went full lock to the left on just slight input. Also, it felt like 2 clicks of throttle was near half. When I went to recover my plane from the side of the road, I could hear the rudder servo chattering away, like the AS3X had kicked in hard, but only on the rudder. Decided not to fly and brought it home to troubleshoot.

Tried new servo, same issue. Tried new receiver, same issue. Tried updating the DXs to the latest fimware, same issue. Tried re-binding, selecting different profile, going to older version of firmware, same issue. Finally, tried my YEARS old DXe that came with the plane, works fine.

Anyone ever hear of a transmitter getting goofy like that on only one channel?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Never in my experience, any thoughts on if water could have gotten in and shorted something out? Much flying in snowy or rainy weather lately?
I really have no clue if that would do it or not, maybe a faulty pot?

bigdano711

I do put it on the passenger side floorboard, on it's back, but never when it's wet enough to seep into the internals. Generally, I take pretty good care of my stuff. The DXe has seen more abuse.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I’ve got a dxe as well, a simplified version I believe. Horizon hobby cuts down on the features in the tx in rtf planes, so it’s missing a few things and can’t be connected to the programming software for it :cautious:.
Somehow at some point the trim buttons quit working properly too, they still work you just have to hold them for about 3 seconds for a single click of trim.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Bought it April 10, 2021 and it took a crap on me today, February 7, 2022. Didn't even last 10 months.

Thankfully, I discovered it before I took off. While trying to taxi, I lost control when the rudder went full lock to the left on just slight input. Also, it felt like 2 clicks of throttle was near half. When I went to recover my plane from the side of the road, I could hear the rudder servo chattering away, like the AS3X had kicked in hard, but only on the rudder. Decided not to fly and brought it home to troubleshoot.

Tried new servo, same issue. Tried new receiver, same issue. Tried updating the DXs to the latest fimware, same issue. Tried re-binding, selecting different profile, going to older version of firmware, same issue. Finally, tried my YEARS old DXe that came with the plane, works fine.

I have both and have never had this issue (I haven’t used them much tho). Do you have a different receiver? I know you tried it with the dxe but maybe it’s just combo. It shouldn’t be but I guess you could try it. If your wanting to upgrade, I would recommend a DX6e or a used dx8 or 6. You could also get the radiomaster tx16s. Ft recommends it and I’ve heard some good things about it. I think I’m gonna myself one ina bit.

Taildragger

Legendary member

Mine right out of the box had two issues:
1: throttle all the way down was 1/2 throttle
2: rudder holds full left unless given right input
these are not trim issues btw, I think it's a faulty potentiometer in the gimbal

bigdano711

I’ve got a dxe as well, a simplified version I believe. Horizon hobby cuts down on the features in the tx in rtf planes, so it’s missing a few things and can’t be connected to the programming software for it :cautious:.
Somehow at some point the trim buttons quit working properly too, they still work you just have to hold them for about 3 seconds for a single click of trim.
I assumed the DXs would have the same features as the DXe with one more channel. Found out I was wrong the hard way yesterday. They provide preset profiles, 4 airplane (2 regular and 2 elevon) and one heli. All you can do with the programming software is update the firmware. You can NOT save model memory on a phone like you can with the DXe.

It's games like this that i cannot stand. Spektrum has definitely lost a customer and Horizon Hobby is on notice. We'll see what they do when I send it in.

Taildragger

Legendary member
I assumed the DXs would have the same features as the DXe with one more channel. Found out I was wrong the hard way yesterday. They provide preset profiles, 4 airplane (2 regular and 2 elevon) and one heli. All you can do with the programming software is update the firmware. You can NOT save model memory on a phone like you can with the DXe.

It's games like this that i cannot stand. Spektrum has definitely lost a customer and Horizon Hobby is on notice. We'll see what they do when I send it in.
Can you detail the process, I'm due to send it in now before it hits the 1 year warranty

bigdano711

You have to go to Horizon Hobby website, log in and scroll to the bottom. Look for a link called "Product Repair" under the "Support" section and jump through the hoops.

bigdano711

Just ordered a Radiolink T8FB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPK9Q9X/?tag=lstir-20

It does everything that I thought the DXs did and has 8 channels. Tx and Rx for $50??? Wow!! I might just throw that DXs where it belongs and never look back.

I know it is not compatible with my DSMX Spektrum receivers, and that sucks, but I still have the DXe to mess with those. If this cheap entry holds tough, I'll definitely spend the $200 for the super bad version.

Tench745

Master member
All radios without hall-effect gimbals will eventually need the potentiometers in the gimbals cleaned. Typically when they start getting dirty you will have either jittery servo action, and/or begin to lose the extreme throws of your controls. If you get some electronics cleaner spray you can easily and cheaply clean them yourself and see if it makes a difference.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Just ordered a Radiolink T8FB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPK9Q9X/?tag=lstir-20

It does everything that I thought the DXs did and has 8 channels. Tx and Rx for $50??? Wow!! I might just throw that DXs where it belongs and never look back.

I know it is not compatible with my DSMX Spektrum receivers, and that sucks, but I still have the DXe to mess with those. If this cheap entry holds tough, I'll definitely spend the $200 for the super bad version.
Which is the super bad version?
the tx16s?

bigdano711

All radios without hall-effect gimbals will eventually need the potentiometers in the gimbals cleaned. Typically when they start getting dirty you will have either jittery servo action, and/or begin to lose the extreme throws of your controls. If you get some electronics cleaner spray you can easily and cheaply clean them yourself and see if it makes a difference.
Potentiometers...aka "pots", right? I've been inside the radio, but where should I direct the spray? Are they connected to the bottom of the gimbal? Just kinda shoot it all around?

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Potentiometers...aka "pots", right? I've been inside the radio, but where should I direct the spray? Are they connected to the bottom of the gimbal? Just kinda shoot it all around?
Don’t know about where to spray, but yes, pots are a shortened name for potentiometers. When I first heard about it, I was like, then where’s the pans?!? Lol