Binding multiple receivers to Spektrum DXS transmitter

CWP8

Hi, I am new to RC and recently purchased a Spektrum DXS transmitter paired with a Spektrum AR620 receiver (for my 10 yo son). We are now building a second project, and are considering using the same transmitter but binding to a new AR410 receiver. I am pretty sure we can bind the one transmitter to both of these receivers – but will our transmitter “remember” the settings for both receivers or will we need to re-bind - and re-calibrate - the ESC each and every time we switch receivers (for some inexplicable reason, it took me hours and dozens of attempts to do this the first time, hence some reluctance for a setup that requires me to have to re-calibrate all the time)? The DXS transmitter manual does not seem to have any information on storing receiver settings and I am having trouble finding anything helpful on this question on the internet. The alternative would be to buy a new transmitter/receiver combo, but apart from cost, that means over time with hopefully more and more new projects, we would accumulate a lot of potentially unnecessary hardware!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It normal to have multiple Rx bound to one Tx.
Almost all Tx’s these days have model memory, it store all of the settings for a given plane. It makes switching planes very easy. Each Tx has limits, mine will store 30 models, well more than I use.

I’m not a Spectrum guy, I don’t believe your Tx has any model memory. Spectrum selling a Tx without memory and requires a computer to change most settings is in my opinion, highly irresponsible.

Here is a thread that will give you some basic information. The prices are a bit out of date, still good information.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Sorry to tell you the DXs only has one model memory. Oo every time you bind to a specific model your stuck with it unless you re-programme for another model/receiver.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Hate seeing people being ripped of by Spektrum with these dedicated transmitters. If people knew to begin with what limitations these transmitters have, they would still be on the shelves and never sell.

CWP8

Thanks, Ian and Merv - I had suspected and feared (from the lack of information online) that our transmitter only had one memory...that is so annoying. I wish I'd had the benefit of the info you've provided before we allowed our son to research what he needed. To be fair to him, he just selected the equipment recommended in the Flite Test starter kits (we didn't want to buy the full kit because we have a glue gun already). So my fault for not doing the usual research I do before purchases...although given I know nothing about RC, I probably would've also just followed the Flite Test recommendations for our first foray into RC planes!

Now we have the dirty dilemma of whether to buy a cheap and cheerful Tx/Rx combo for his new project or upgrade the Spektrum Tx. The decision is complicated because he is already talking about his next plane...but also wants to build his own DIY boats/cars too...

This forum is great - so many quick, informative and helpful replies!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I bought a cheap second hand Futaba 2.4ghz transmitter as my first step back in the hobby, only to find out the Futaba receivers where a stupid price. With a bit of research I discovered the FRsky made a compatible receiver that had full range capability for a 1/3 of the cost. That was great starting off then the club I joined all used Spektrums, so I bought a second hand DX6i which had a little more functionality than the old Futaba. So I started buying Spektrum receivers until they started raising the prices last year.
Ive since bought a Radiomaster Transmitter because its multi protocol and I can use a variety of receivers with it. However, as your just starting off and new to the hobby, I wouldn't suggest getting one as the programming can be a bit daunting to some just starting off.
I would recommend a Flysky set up you get a lot more funtionality for the price and may even pick one up from ebay, for the price you sell your DXs ;)(y)
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...w5Rw23rjnJgmFBFX6Jyt6y4QZNtZvEX2twOQ&usqp=CAc
New additional receivers for this transmitter cost around £9.50 ($12.90).
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...lLm0Qr8guPqnw1y0lBC6r_l592PgkRrLs0ig&usqp=CAc

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
There is an updated version of this radio in the linb above think its the FS-i6x more channels and functions. But the video gives you an idea of what you get for your money.

Last edited:

Andrew

G'day Mate
Hi, I am new to RC and recently purchased a Spektrum DXS transmitter paired with a Spektrum AR620 receiver (for my 10 yo son). We are now building a second project, and are considering using the same transmitter but binding to a new AR410 receiver. I am pretty sure we can bind the one transmitter to both of these receivers – but will our transmitter “remember” the settings for both receivers or will we need to re-bind - and re-calibrate - the ESC each and every time we switch receivers (for some inexplicable reason, it took me hours and dozens of attempts to do this the first time, hence some reluctance for a setup that requires me to have to re-calibrate all the time)? The DXS transmitter manual does not seem to have any information on storing receiver settings and I am having trouble finding anything helpful on this question on the internet. The alternative would be to buy a new transmitter/receiver combo, but apart from cost, that means over time with hopefully more and more new projects, we would accumulate a lot of potentially unnecessary hardware!
I am pretty sure we can bind the one transmitter to both of these receivers – but will our transmitter “remember” the settings for both receivers or will we need to re-bind
The DXS has only 1memory and the additional bound receiver's will use that same memory slot, all the trims, travel, reversing, expo, rates will be the same unless you change them.
will we need to re-bind - and re-calibrate - the ESC each and every time we switch receivers (for some inexplicable reason, it took me hours and dozens of attempts to do this the first time, hence some reluctance for a setup that requires me to have to re-calibrate all the time)?
If you know exactly what your doing ESC calibration takes less than 10 seconds to do!!!. You should do it if the ESC has never been used with that transmitter before. Different transmitters and there gimbals potentiometer / trimpot can have slightly different values so this is why you should calibrate new ESC's or using the ESC in another transmitter.

CWP8

There is an updated version of this radio in the linb above think its the FS-i6x more channels and functions. But the video gives you an idea of what you get for your money.
Will definitely check this out - as you say, may make sense to have a separate dedicated system for land/water vs air!

CWP8

The DXS has only 1memory and the additional bound receiver's will use that same memory slot, all the trims, travel, reversing, expo, rates will be the same unless you change them.

If you know exactly what your doing ESC calibration takes less than 10 seconds to do!!!. You should do it if the ESC has never been used with that transmitter before. Different transmitters and there gimbals potentiometer / trimpot can have slightly different values so this is why you should calibrate new ESC's or using the ESC in another transmitter.
Agree - when the calibration worked, it was quick...but for some reason, I had to go through the whole rigmarole of disconnecting/reconnecting the ESC, turning on/off Tx and pushing triggers up/down dozens and dozens of times before finally I heard the right beeps and it worked. All the other times, I just go music, a beep, but then no further reaction...it was very frustrating and had nearly given up when suddenly it worked!

CWP8

Another question while you're all online, I remember from my childhood that there were little levers under the RC car that you could twist to adjust the steering trim but for my son's RC plane with the DXS, I can't seem to work out how to make those same adjustments - the neutral position for the rudder is slightly off. The manual that comes with is hopeless...

Andrew

G'day Mate
Another question while you're all online, I remember from my childhood that there were little levers under the RC car that you could twist to adjust the steering trim but for my son's RC plane with the DXS, I can't seem to work out how to make those same adjustments - the neutral position for the rudder is slightly off. The manual that comes with is hopeless...
The (old/simple) car was using mechanical trim. Best to get it close mechanically on your push rod / clevis or whatever your using, THEN you can trim again electronicly if needed using the trim switch on the transmitter.
The rudder trim switch is bellow the rudder gimbal. It's a horizontal switch.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The DXS has “unlimited” model memory in that you can use a smartphone to pair up to the transmitter. You can then store it out on your smartphone and use that to replace the model memory.

People like to bash Spektrum and push Flysky, which is cheaply made and you have to use Chinese written instructions or watch YouTube videos to figure out how to program it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1610946857713.png

depending on the plane, you usually have clevice connectors like these that connect to the control horns, you simply un-clip at the end of the Y section remove it from the control horn and rotate on the push rod shaft. Inwards to shorten and outwards to lengthen, dpending which way you need the control surface to move. There may be a small rubber ring around the clevis to stop it opening by mistake, always make sure you replace that after adjustments. You dont want a clevice coming un-done in mid flight and lose control of a rudder or elevator :eek:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The other possibility is one of these connections
1610947293363.png
The pushrod inserts through the hole and is secured with either a small screw (as in the image), or a small allen/key grub screw. Simply undo the screw or grub screw and slide the pushrod back or forward until the control surface is flat/level then re-tighten.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The DXS has “unlimited” model memory in that you can use a smartphone to pair up to the transmitter. You can then store it out on your smartphone and use that to replace the model memory.

People like to bash Spektrum and push Flysky, which is cheaply made and you have to use Chinese written instructions or watch YouTube videos to figure out how to program it.
The Spektrum specification says it has a single model memory which is correct. You shouldn't have to store your models on a seperate device where they could get corrupted. Yes the Flysky is cheap and looks cheap, but for the price its an effective RC system for beginners just starting off.
Interestingly I see very few quieries on the forum about Flysky set-ups but plenty about Spektrum.
Ive no issue the quality of Spektrum equipment and I still use Spektrum receivers now for my decent quality planes. But their transmitters are over priced in my opinion, for the functionality they offer.
I have used Spektrum gear and so I can speak from experience, there are experienced fliers in my club who agree and instead prefer to use Futaba and FRsky. Again that is just there opinion and your entitled to yours, lets beg to differ on this shall we.

CWP8

That's interesting - any chance you could post an Idiot's Guide on how to pair our Spektrum transmitter to my iPhone?

CWP8

View attachment 189508
depending on the plane, you usually have clevice connectors like these that connect to the control horns, you simply un-clip at the end of the Y section remove it from the control horn and rotate on the push rod shaft. Inwards to shorten and outwards to lengthen, dpending which way you need the control surface to move. There may be a small rubber ring around the clevis to stop it opening by mistake, always make sure you replace that after adjustments. You dont want a clevice coming un-done in mid flight and lose control of a rudder or elevator :eek:
I saw these on Amazon when looking for pushrods - now I know what they're for, thanks!

Flyingshark

Master member
The other possibility is one of these connections
View attachment 189509
The pushrod inserts through the hole and is secured with either a small screw (as in the image), or a small allen/key grub screw. Simply undo the screw or grub screw and slide the pushrod back or forward until the control surface is flat/level then re-tighten.
Linkage stoppers -- I highly recommend them! I've needed to do far less trimming on builds that use them.