Spitfire maiden problems

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Ive heard that about balancing before, but not put so eloquently :D We had thunderstorms roll through last night so no flying, but I cut my servo leads tighter, i probably had 7 or 8 inches of excess so i clipped them all to the correct length and soldered them to shorter leads into the rx. I also moved all the electronics as far forward as possible. My CG is about a half inch to an inch behind the spar now with the battery as far forward as possible, which is miles better than before. I have a couple fishing sinkers lying around so i was thinking i would try to even the balance out by loading them into the front of the power pod.

wow man after all of the your cg is still far out. so ya the only thing you have left to do is dead weight. in the future with that heavy foam board I would go with a bigger battery instead of dead weight atleast you get use outta it. and I would go with a push wire set up for your rudder and elevator and place your servos under the canopy getting the weight off the tail

unleafthekraken

Do you remove the existing paper first or just go right over it? I have access to large format printers, but not adhesive paper. I've contemplated printing designs, remove the DTFB paper and glue the printed plans with 3 super 77.

For the Spit i just went over the existing paper with letter sized (8.5*11) avery labels that i tiled and then trimmed so there was only overlap on the leading edges of the wings. I have a couple test pieces i did with removing the paper but i haven't built out anything full sized that way. It seems like it sticks almost as good not removing the paper on the test pieces, the next one i build out i was gonna try removing the paper on the whole model to see if its just as durable.

I'm just getting unpacked from moving so I havent had time or the workspace to keep testing things for the last few months and things of kind of been on hold. The flip side is I'm now only 4 minutes from a huge field for flite testing.

unleafthekraken

wow man after all of the your cg is still far out. so ya the only thing you have left to do is dead weight. in the future with that heavy foam board I would go with a bigger battery instead of dead weight atleast you get use outta it. and I would go with a push wire set up for your rudder and elevator and place your servos under the canopy getting the weight off the tail

I do have a 2200 battery, but i have a set of 1800's so i was hoping that i could use them so i can burn through two batteries without having to adjust. I totally forgot about the other battery though since i use it for my quad, i'll have to try that one on for size and see how much the cg shifts. Good idea!

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
I do have a 2200 battery, but i have a set of 1800's so i was hoping that i could use them so i can burn through two batteries without having to adjust. I totally forgot about the other battery though since i use it for my quad, i'll have to try that one on for size and see how much the cg shifts. Good idea!

well there you go man use the 2200s and see how cg plays out and then if that works alls you have to do is tape weight on to your 1800 battery like 'quarters' to match your 2200 weight then place battery in the same place as the 2200s. see the Ft planes were designed around 2200 batteries for stable flight and easy balance you just have to alter for much lighter or heavier batterys