Sportster Picture and Maiden Thread

Marty72

Elite member
I flew the Sportster again today, ran 5 more batteries. I'm much more comfortable with it now. It flies more "scale" than the Scout, it doesn't slip as much, carving nicer turns. I've now done all the maneuvers that I know with the Sportster. It rolls cleaner for me than the Scout. Played around with the rates and trim some, tweaking things in. The best landing I have had yet, is the maiden landing. I've bonked it a few times. I flew the Scout some too today, orientation confusion with the Scout is a real issue (even close). Going forward, I'll make sure the bottom of the wings will look different than the tops.

The Sportster is more stable and predictable than the Scout, but it definitely needs more power. No issues with the lower wing.

I'm going to try to get another session in tomorrow morning before an appointment. The weather turns bad Friday through the weekend, so flying isn't likely. Rain and lots of wind in the forecast. So I'll fit it in tomorrow.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@Marty72 I really like how much you fly and how committed you are to it. I also like how you pay attention to the small details and analyze and compare the way the two planes fly. It makes me excited to build and fly a Sportster! Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I flew the Sportster again today, ran 5 more batteries. I'm much more comfortable with it now. It flies more "scale" than the Scout, it doesn't slip as much, carving nicer turns. I've now done all the maneuvers that I know with the Sportster. It rolls cleaner for me than the Scout. Played around with the rates and trim some, tweaking things in. The best landing I have had yet, is the maiden landing. I've bonked it a few times. I flew the Scout some too today, orientation confusion with the Scout is a real issue (even close). Going forward, I'll make sure the bottom of the wings will look different than the tops.

The Sportster is more stable and predictable than the Scout, but it definitely needs more power. No issues with the lower wing.

I'm going to try to get another session in tomorrow morning before an appointment. The weather turns bad Friday through the weekend, so flying isn't likely. Rain and lots of wind in the forecast. So I'll fit it in tomorrow.
Aaahhh, i see you are coming around to the darkside! Thats awesome you are getting more confidence in the Sportster. I knew it would be a few flights before you would lose grip on the Scout. It is nice when you go from a trainer plane to something that has some accuracy and predictabilty. Now you are gonna start seeing a bunch of planes you want to try and you will be a building fool, I look forward to your upcoming projects, oh and your P-40 maiden!

You said you dinged her up a bit, any damage?

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks. We've had some great weather today, I had a full schedule but there was a little wind as I've seen in weeks. Unfortunately, this afternoon when I was flying, the breeze was blowing from the exact direction of the sun. It made launching the planes challenging for me. Either I launched into the wind , got blinded and hoped for the best or I tried to launch not going into the wind. I did that once with the Scout and it didn't go well, nearly crashed the plane. So back to into the sun.

Of course, part of the reason I'm pushing to fly so much is a new plane. For me, maidening a plane I built and put a lot of time into is a big deal. When it goes well, it's a huge reward. There are so many way you can screw up with the build, set up and launch conditions, not to mention just bad luck. A bad maidens just make the good maidens so much sweeter.

Marty72

Elite member
Aaahhh, i see you are coming around to the darkside! Thats awesome you are getting more confidence in the Sportster. I knew it would be a few flights before you would lose grip on the Scout. It is nice when you go from a trainer plane to something that has some accuracy and predictabilty. Now you are gonna start seeing a bunch of planes you want to try and you will be a building fool, I look forward to your upcoming projects, oh and your P-40 maiden!

You said you dinged her up a bit, any damage?

A little issue with the power pod to fuse. Not visible. I broke 2 props today, one on the Scout and one on the Sportster. Not sure where my landing skills went today, they seemed to be taking the day off.

Marty72

Elite member
I got a great round of flying in early this morning, had the Sportster in the air just before sunrise. Outstanding conditions, put 5 batteries through the Sportster. I've been fighting what I think is a tad bit of tail heaviness in the Sportster (I wasn't sure if it was the wind, but nearly calm conditions today). It's cg location is exactly at spec but it has that familiar feel of tail heaviness. The elevator is almost perfectly flat but has a tad of down. I find I'm adjusting the elevator trim in flight based on conditions, higher power, more down trim, lower power, more up trim. I realize some of this may be normal but it just seemed excessive.

I've got the battery as far forward as it can go, during loops of the 3 rd flight, the battery must have slipped back because the plane started flying like a falling leaf. I rushed to land it, not be sure at the time what had happened (I thought maybe something had failed). But this got me thinking, perhaps I'm ready to experiment with the new plane.

So for the 4th flight, I taped 3 quarters to the front of the battery, and jammed it all the way forward as I have been doing (field experiment). This seemed to have fixed my problem (or at least improve it), I trimmed the plane again (elev) and it was now flying level at different throttle levels. Again, it wasn't bad tail heavy, it just seemed the elevation trim was always off a bit.

So for the 5th flight, I kept everything the same but now I changed the prop. I went to a 10x5 APC. Now, this was also an improvement, a tad more speed but no loss in thrust. I check the motor right after flying, not even warm. I check the battery, and the remaining charge was consistent with the first 4 flights. So I think 10x5 APC is going to be my new baseline for this plane. Does this mean I'm not going to try other props............no. Just means that this is my baseline prop until I find another prop that works better with this motor and this plane. And of course, if you are using a c pack and found a prop you really like by all means tell us.

Now the plane is going to sit for awhile, the wind is up for the next few days. I'll use this down time to incorporate the cg change in a more elegant manner than gorilla tape and quarters.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@Marty72 my favorite prop for the c pack (I still use the old emax one) is the APC 10x5. It’s super durable and as you said, more speed with no losses of thrust. It’s my go to prop at the moment. I also think it’s alright with 4s. I haven’t done much with it in 4s yet, but with a 9x6 and a lot of full throttle, the motor wasn’t too hot to touch, so with a 10x5 on the throttle level I usually fly, I think it will be ok. Of course yours is the radial which is better than mine so you can even push yours farther. Have you tried the 10x4.7 flow fly props? I find they produce the most thrust out of the props I’ve tested, although I haven’t compared them side by side to the 10x5 yet.

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 my favorite prop for the c pack (I still use the old emax one) is the APC 10x5. It’s super durable and as you said, more speed with no losses of thrust. It’s my go to prop at the moment. I also think it’s alright with 4s. I haven’t done much with it in 4s yet, but with a 9x6 and a lot of full throttle, the motor wasn’t too hot to touch, so with a 10x5 on the throttle level I usually fly, I think it will be ok. Of course yours is the radial which is better than mine so you can even push yours farther. Have you tried the 10x4.7 flow fly props? I find they produce the most thrust out of the props I’ve tested, although I haven’t compared them side by side to the 10x5 yet.

Are you talking about the HQ SLOW fly props 10x4.7? If so, I order some, they will be here today. I like the HQ 10x4.5 but they sure do break easy. I have a 10x4.7 APC on the Scout, may try a 9x6 for giggles.

I don't run wide open much, seems like I always find the knee in the curve for throttle/speed and hang out there. Wide open is for emergencies and vert climbing (for me).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Are you talking about the HQ SLOW fly props 10x4.7? If so, I order some, they will be here today. I like the HQ 10x4.5 but they sure do break easy. I have a 10x4.7 APC on the Scout, may try a 9x6 for giggles.

I don't run wide open much, seems like I always find the knee in the curve for throttle/speed and hang out there. Wide open is for emergencies and vert climbing (for me).
Yeah, even the APC slow flys break easily. I was having a blast doing full speed low passes and low inverted passes on 4s for the first time.

Marty72

Elite member
Big day of flying today, conditions were great, so I took advantage. I ran 8 batteries through the Sportster today, 5 in the am, 3 in the afternoon. I continue to add weight to the front of the plane and it continues to improve it's flight characteristics (I was more tail heavy than I thought). I guess I'll keep doing that until I go too far. I'm going to have to measure and see where my cg ends up when I'm done. The issue comes when there is a breeze, the plane hits the breeze and climbs and sort of stalls. It seems to fly into the wind better with the nose weight. I started with the plane at the spec cg, 2.5 inches.

Marty72

Elite member
I got more flying in this morning, sunrise. The wind was down and I had a little time, so I went. Today, like yesterday was a bit cool for Fl (in the 40s) but very little wind. I learned many years ago living here, that if you want glassy water (calm winds) for slalom skiing, go at sunrise. It's true for flying as well. Anyway, I ran 4 batteries in the Sportster and 2 in the Scout. The Scout is dialed in right now with a 9x6 prop and the C pack. It's pretty fast (at least to me). I'm still trying to get more comfortable with the Sportster. I now see the major difference the low wing design, landing the plane. If I come in for a landing with the Sportster and do everything right, no difference really but if I come in, and it looks like I'm landing short, it's very difficult to add throttle and set up for another landing. The best option is to abort, gas it and come back around. The Sportster will tip back and forth and is more difficult to control near stall speed, close to the ground. The Scout much more controllable and you can make all the corrections necessary for landing, no problem.

The area that I'm struggling with the most with the Sportster is hand launch, I am not getting good launches consistently. Some are very wild, pulse raising events. I think this is also the low wing design. I've got the Scout perfected, it's a nice clean steady climb out without drama. I'm working on the Sportster launch and think I've figured it out but need a few more launches to know for sure. I think the answer is a steeper angle toss with a lot more throttle (from my hand). A throttle level greater than 3/4. Adding more throttle after the hand launch results in a rather sharp torque roll (plus the plane is dropping before I can get my hand to the controls). I think Battleaxe is right about this plane needing a more powerful motor than the C pack. I feel it's barely enough at times.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got more flying in this morning, sunrise. The wind was down and I had a little time, so I went. Today, like yesterday was a bit cool for Fl (in the 40s) but very little wind. I learned many years ago living here, that if you want glassy water (calm winds) for slalom skiing, go at sunrise. It's true for flying as well. Anyway, I ran 4 batteries in the Sportster and 2 in the Scout. The Scout is dialed in right now with a 9x6 prop and the C pack. It's pretty fast (at least to me). I'm still trying to get more comfortable with the Sportster. I now see the major difference the low wing design, landing the plane. If I come in for a landing with the Sportster and do everything right, no difference really but if I come in, and it looks like I'm landing short, it's very difficult to add throttle and set up for another landing. The best option is to abort, gas it and come back around. The Sportster will tip back and forth and is more difficult to control near stall speed, close to the ground. The Scout much more controllable and you can make all the corrections necessary for landing, no problem.

The area that I'm struggling with the most with the Sportster is hand launch, I am not getting good launches consistently. Some are very wild, pulse raising events. I think this is also the low wing design. I've got the Scout perfected, it's a nice clean steady climb out without drama. I'm working on the Sportster launch and think I've figured it out but need a few more launches to know for sure. I think the answer is a steeper angle toss with a lot more throttle (from my hand). A throttle level greater than 3/4. Adding more throttle after the hand launch results in a rather sharp torque roll (plus the plane is dropping before I can get my hand to the controls). I think Battleaxe is right about this plane needing a more powerful motor than the C pack. I feel it's barely enough at times.
Yeah you are hitting the tendencies of a low wing compared to a high wing. With a high wing (or in the case of the Scout, higher wing) it will have a pendulum effect where the majority of the plane hangs on the wing, being a little more stable. A low wing you have more pitch sensitivity because the weight and drag are above the lifting surface. Which is what I am sure you have figured out already. Plus the Sportster is a heavier plane then the Scout so the power out of an attempted landing is kind of lacking with the C pack. Have you tried a 10x45 stock FT prop on the Sportster yet? Or is that what you started with?

Marty72

Elite member
Yes, I'm quite familiar with the physics of it but it's another thing to actual experience it. If you really want to experience the stabilization effect of mass below the wing, add landing gear to the Scout. As you call it, the pendulum effect, becomes very noticeable. The plane rolls much slower due to the increase of the moment of inertia and is much more stable for landing and take off.

So I was able to grab some great flying conditions this morning at the sunrise. At 7:15 is was almost perfectly calm. I got the Sportster up and man was that beautiful! In no wind, the plane just flies so smooth, perfect carved turns, looks almost real (definitely has . I got 2 batteries in with it and had a great time. I'm getting the hand toss for the Sportster down, like I said before, pin it and up at 45 degrees and it looks perfect.

Next, I ran 3 batteries with the Scout and the first battery was a hoot! Still next to no wind, it's a rocket with the C pack/ 9x6. But on the second battery, the wind started and it's still fun but it's just different. By the third battery, the wind was more than I like. I threw the Sportster up one more time but with the wind, I threw in the towel for the day.

It is windy now and will be for the next 3 days. So I'm not likely to fly until next week. If I get great conditions next week, I'll toss the P 40 up. I'm as ready as I'm going to be using the planes I have for practice.

Yes, I was using the 10x4.5 but I went to the 10x5. I expect the p 40 to be even more sensitive to speed (smaller wing area) and so I consider this all good practice to get ready for the maiden. I also expect it to be faster than I'm used to, hopefully the super charged Scout flying will be good preparation. As you can probably tell, I don't want to crash the P 40, I don't expect it will hold up.

Marty72

Elite member
Oh yeah, I've already got 27 flights on the Sportster, solid plane and looks good. Here's the wind forecast, I got to fly at the lows this morning and then it let loose. The light orange vertical lines are sunrise and sunset. The blue bands are night.
1578607842147.png

Marty72

Elite member
The Sportster got a little cosmetic love today. Added a spinner, hood extension and will add a black APC 10x5 prop when I get it (it was suppose to be here today). The nose looked really incomplete to me after adding the spinner. BTW, if you order directly from APC, you can get the exact props, same prices as the gray APC props from flitetest. I don't understand why they make gray props.

IMG_2248.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Sportster got a little cosmetic love today. Added a spinner, hood extension and will add a black APC 10x5 prop when I get it (it was suppose to be here today). The nose looked really incomplete to me after adding the spinner. BTW, if you order directly from APC, you can get the exact props, same prices as the gray APC props from flitetest. I don't understand why they make gray props.

View attachment 154186
That is a sharp looking plane man, Still looks like you haven't even flown it yet. Is that still the 9x6 prop you have on there, electric only?