Sportster Picture and Maiden Thread

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks. I do enjoy the look of it, in the air and on the ground. The spinner also give me a centralized battery location, so I can move it around as I like to change cg. I find I like the cg a little bit more forward when it's windy, but when it's calm, a little further back.

no, I've got the 10x5 on it. The Scout has the 9x6. Future upgrade is the better motor and esc you have. But for now.

OH I forgot to mention, I gave the Sportster some extra aileron authority, move to the middle hole on the servo arm. This should speed up the rolls.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea if I remember correctly I had mine on the middle hole on the control horn and furthest/last hole on the servo arm and even on low rates it was surprisingly maneuverable. I like how you are dialing it in with the CG and the throws. It means you really like the plane.

Did you say next week is the P-40 maiden?

Marty72

Elite member
Do you guys have days where you just don't seem to have the ability to fly well (or is it just me)? Today was one of those days, darn near smashed the Sportster into a million pieces, got all confused, went the wrong way with the aileron, trying to correct, I went the wrong way again, and just about hit a light post and drove it into the pavement. (some of the worst flying I've done in months). Some how, last minute panic, I got it up and out of danger.

Now part of this is because I was fiddling with the plane last night, so things were out of trim/balance a bit. It just doesn't take much to throw me off my game, elevator out of trim, I'm fine, elevator and aileron out of trim, I'm in trouble. That's what happened today, just couldn't seem to get to the trim buttons (I definitely need more work here). Finally, I got it up high, and trimmed it out. You could almost consider this maiden practice as that's how maidens can go.

So I got it all trimmed out but last night, after I posted, I realized I made a mistake. I went to the center hole from the outer most hole on the servo arm. I did the opposite of what I wanted to do, I reduced my throw (I just didn't think, I had it in my head I wanted to go to the middle as that's where the Scout is). So it was late, I was tired and decided to deal with my mistake tomorrow. I woke up early, winds were down, so I got a few batteries in before it picked up. I flew as is, to see what it would do. As expected, it didn't do anything but take away authority. So today, I looked through my left over parts (that came with the servos) and found one that would work. I modified the 2 bladed arm into this.
IMG_2249.JPG

This will increase my throw by 30% (from center position) and I think that will be perfect. I'll try it and find out, I've got 3 rates set up in the event that it's too much. I have no real adjustment at the horns, as I'm using the dental pick and it's cut off). I made a push rod slightly shorter and using all the variables, was able zero out the ailerons nicely, without having a down or up aileron bias (that could be corrected with elevator trim). I double checked to make sure that the hinges or something else limiting the range. (The servo is not being impeded. )

So now the next thing, the spinner looks great but I'm pulling it off for now. You guys talk about balancing props but if anything needs to be balanced, it's a spinner. Because of the mass of the spinner, it's contribution to imbalance is huge. This morning, I tested it out, holding the plane with my hand, rev it up, you could feel it was out of balance (not thump, thump, but out of balance). I need to balance the spinner before I can use it. Unfortunately, I left the tool to remove the spinner on the kitchen counter top, so I couldn't remove it at the field. I flew it as it, it wasn't great. That spinner is 50 grams, nearly 2 oz, that a significant "fly wheel" for the motor to spin (especially considering that I think it's under powered already). That's 3 to 4 times the mass of the prop (depending on what prop). I realize mass further off axis of the prop is a much bigger contributor but still. (I also have a feeling that even after that, reassembling spinner/prop and attaching to the prop shaft may not be repeatable and therefore out of balance.) Of course, I could always balance it and then run it and see how it feels. It's subjective but it's worth checking.

BATTLEAXE: Can your magnetic prop balancer hold a 50 gram spinner? Not sure how weight your magnetics will hold.

I really need a bigger motor to fully enjoy this plane. But the one suggested to me with the ESC are around $100. My plan right now is to maiden the P 40 this week and depending on how that goes (and if I like it), that will decide the direction I go. If I don't like it, I'll get a bigger motor/esc for the Sportster. I also want to see how my aileron mod goes as well. If I like the P 40 more, than I'll probably head in the Spitfire and Mustang direction.

All part of learning, theory is great, but it's hard to beat hands on experience.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Do you guys have days where you just don't seem to have the ability to fly well (or is it just me)? Today was one of those days, darn near smashed the Sportster into a million pieces, got all confused, went the wrong way with the aileron, trying to correct, I went the wrong way again, and just about hit a light post and drove it into the pavement. (some of the worst flying I've done in months). Some how, last minute panic, I got it up and out of danger.

Now part of this is because I was fiddling with the plane last night, so things were out of trim/balance a bit. It just doesn't take much to throw me off my game, elevator out of trim, I'm fine, elevator and aileron out of trim, I'm in trouble. That's what happened today, just couldn't seem to get to the trim buttons (I definitely need more work here). Finally, I got it up high, and trimmed it out. You could almost consider this maiden practice as that's how maidens can go.

So I got it all trimmed out but last night, after I posted, I realized I made a mistake. I went to the center hole from the outer most hole on the servo arm. I did the opposite of what I wanted to do, I reduced my throw (I just didn't think, I had it in my head I wanted to go to the middle as that's where the Scout is). So it was late, I was tired and decided to deal with my mistake tomorrow. I woke up early, winds were down, so I got a few batteries in before it picked up. I flew as is, to see what it would do. As expected, it didn't do anything but take away authority. So today, I looked through my left over parts (that came with the servos) and found one that would work. I modified the 2 bladed arm into this.
View attachment 154315
This will increase my throw by 30% (from center position) and I think that will be perfect. I'll try it and find out, I've got 3 rates set up in the event that it's too much. I have no real adjustment at the horns, as I'm using the dental pick and it's cut off). I made a push rod slightly shorter and using all the variables, was able zero out the ailerons nicely, without having a down or up aileron bias (that could be corrected with elevator trim). I double checked to make sure that the hinges or something else limiting the range. (The servo is not being impeded. )

So now the next thing, the spinner looks great but I'm pulling it off for now. You guys talk about balancing props but if anything needs to be balanced, it's a spinner. Because of the mass of the spinner, it's contribution to imbalance is huge. This morning, I tested it out, holding the plane with my hand, rev it up, you could feel it was out of balance (not thump, thump, but out of balance). I need to balance the spinner before I can use it. Unfortunately, I left the tool to remove the spinner on the kitchen counter top, so I couldn't remove it at the field. I flew it as it, it wasn't great. That spinner is 50 grams, nearly 2 oz, that a significant "fly wheel" for the motor to spin (especially considering that I think it's under powered already). That's 3 to 4 times the mass of the prop (depending on what prop). I realize mass further off axis of the prop is a much bigger contributor but still. (I also have a feeling that even after that, reassembling spinner/prop and attaching to the prop shaft may not be repeatable and therefore out of balance.) Of course, I could always balance it and then run it and see how it feels. It's subjective but it's worth checking.

BATTLEAXE: Can your magnetic prop balancer hold a 50 gram spinner? Not sure how weight your magnetics will hold.

I really need a bigger motor to fully enjoy this plane. But the one suggested to me with the ESC are around $100. My plan right now is to maiden the P 40 this week and depending on how that goes (and if I like it), that will decide the direction I go. If I don't like it, I'll get a bigger motor/esc for the Sportster. I also want to see how my aileron mod goes as well. If I like the P 40 more, than I'll probably head in the Spitfire and Mustang direction.

All part of learning, theory is great, but it's hard to beat hands on experience.
The spinner at 50grams seems like a lot to me, but I have never weighed mine so I don't really know. I have a plastic spinner that snaps the cone to the base, not screws and nuts so that might be the difference. I used hard drive magnets on my stand and those are quite powerful magnets, it could probably hold half a dozen props on the balance rod.

I would say you got lucky with the sportster from the sounds of it, nice job keeping it alive though. I bet it puckered you up some huh :ROFLMAO:

Marty72

Elite member
The spinner at 50grams seems like a lot to me, but I have never weighed mine so I don't really know. I have a plastic spinner that snaps the cone to the base, not screws and nuts so that might be the difference. I used hard drive magnets on my stand and those are quite powerful magnets, it could probably hold half a dozen props on the balance rod.

I would say you got lucky with the sportster from the sounds of it, nice job keeping it alive though. I bet it puckered you up some huh :ROFLMAO:

Oh I got lucky, that's for sure. I'm glad no one was around to see it. I was running near wide out, out of control. That's another plus for the field I'm flying at. Nothing to hit but street signs, pavement and my truck (which I park far away from where I fly).

30 flights now and counting.

Thanks,
Straight from DuBro's site. I need to get one of those kitchen scales!
1578856178476.png

daxian

Elite member

hmmmmmm....hard drive magnets ??? can you elaborate ??? from pc ???

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
hmmmmmm....hard drive magnets ??? can you elaborate ??? from pc ???
I just found them laying around the house, I found the were pretty strong so I used them on the stand. I posted a vid on it in Quick Tips, someone told me they are from a hard drive out of a PC. Here is the vid

I have also been told that if you have a burnt out motor that the magnets from the bell could be used as well

Marty72

Elite member
So I thought I had the perfect day to maiden the P 40, not a whiff of wind, first perfectly calm morning in weeks! But there was fog, so I thought I'd fly the Big Yellow Bird first, as it's easy to see and orientation viewing is exceptional. Well I crashed it 4 minutes into the flight (1), I was at the far end of the field, up high, lost orientation, it went into a death spiral, I wasn't worried, had time, expected to pull it out, I didn't. Augered straight into the ground. A fatal blow for sure, I thought. If I had only cut the motor or got some angle before impact but no.

To my surprised, it's salvageable, it's not pretty anymore, all the damage was to the fuse, the most damage was to the tail section right behind the wings, almost broke it off. The doublers in the front of the plane do an amazing job of protecting the plane. I did the exact same crash, 2 months ago with the Simple Scout 1.0 and it was totaled way beyond repair.

There are stress cracks just in front of the wing (both sides), but the fuse there is still very stiff. The tail section was damaged by the wings being shoved back during impact. The battery dented, motor jammed up (not sure I can salvage).

So here are the pics, it's hard to really get a good understanding of the full extent of the damage without holding it in your hands but ........ IMG_2265.JPG IMG_2263.JPG IMG_2262.JPG IMG_2259.JPG IMG_2260.JPG IMG_2261.JPG IMG_2258.JPG IMG_2256.JPG IMG_2257.JPG IMG_2255.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I thought I had the perfect day to maiden the P 40, not a whiff of wind, first perfectly calm morning in weeks! But there was fog, so I thought I'd fly the Big Yellow Bird first, as it's easy to see and orientation viewing is exceptional. Well I crashed it 4 minutes into the flight (1), I was at the far end of the field, up high, lost orientation, it went into a death spiral, I wasn't worried, had time, expected to pull it out, I didn't. Augered straight into the ground. A fatal blow for sure, I thought. If I had only cut the motor or got some angle before impact but no.

To my surprised, it's salvageable, it's not pretty anymore, all the damage was to the fuse, the most damage was to the tail section right behind the wings, almost broke it off. The doublers in the front of the plane do an amazing job of protecting the plane. I did the exact same crash, 2 months ago with the Simple Scout 1.0 and it was totaled way beyond repair.

There are stress cracks just in front of the wing (both sides), but the fuse there is still very stiff. The tail section was damaged by the wings being shoved back during impact. The battery dented, motor jammed up (not sure I can salvage).

So here are the pics, it's hard to really get a good understanding of the full extent of the damage without holding it in your hands but ........ View attachment 154579 View attachment 154580 View attachment 154581 View attachment 154584 View attachment 154583 View attachment 154582 View attachment 154585 View attachment 154586 View attachment 154588 View attachment 154589
Ah man that sucks! Not the Sportster! :eek: From what you described though it seemed like it faired alright, fixable anyway. A couple squirts of glue to the tail and it should be good as new as far as a flyer goes. Now it has character like an old pick up truck :LOL:

Do you think it was a loss of signal? pulling back on it didn't help huh? You obviously dropped the throttle i am sure. Did you fly anything else?

Marty72

Elite member
So I've repaired the big yellow bird, I added doublers to the inside of the fuse in front of the wing and behind the wing on both sides (where the cracks were). The tail was angled, I closed the gap, glued it and held it with my hands to achieve "straightness". Next, I worked on the shape of the tail by gluing doublers to the inside and then twisting the fuse while holding the doubler to get the shape back as much as possible. (one side at a time). And of course, a lot of little things as well, straightening the wings, repairing the power pod, fixing the mounts for the power pod. You guys know, lots of little stuff get damaged when you bury the nose.

Motor: I pulled the C pack motor out of the Scout and into the Sportster it went. I took the old B pack motor for SS 1.0 and installed it into the Scout 2.0 until I can repair or replace the C pack motor I jammed up.

I've gone through everything now on the Sportster and Scout and am planning on putting both up tomorrow and trimming them out. Everything change on the Sportster and Scout has a smaller, lighter motor. So it will be good practice.

Conditions for tomorrow morning look awesome like they did today but I'm afraid fog is likely to be an issue again. I will try to use restraint and not fly until the fog clears. BTW, I put the Scout up this morning right after I crashed the Sportster (zero wind is hard to pass up). I said to myself, I'll keep the plane close and I'll be fine. A minute and a half into the flight, I scared myself as I lost orientation again in the fog. I landed the Scout abruptly and waited around for about a half hour at the truck for the fog to clear. It didn't, I drove home and then repaired the Sportster.

Marty72

Elite member
From this angle, you can't even really tell I've F up the Big Yellow Bird. It's a super durable bird as long as you don't drive it straight into the ground with throttle.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    905.3 KB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
Sounds like your sportster entered a spin. For spin recovery you need to apply rudder opposite the direction of the spin to stop it from spinning, then you can do your usual stall recovery. Some aircraft need a little throttle to break out of the spin and others don't. A very important thing to remember is that in a spin the wing is stalled. You can try to pull up as much as you want, but until you get the wing flying again it won't help. Glad to gear the Sportster wasn't a write-off.