Starter building foam board designs with a few questions

kinshin250r

So I've been reading a few threads and I have built a few planes from ideas I got from them my knock off bushwacker design flew very well I could likely tweak it and make it very nice but I have been thinking more about something closer to a uav design I have built one with a 60" wing that flew fair but was hard to control even with full lenght ailerons and nice size stabs I'll attach a few pics and take any pointers or ideas thanks in advance IMG_20150910_192420.jpg IMG_20150910_192533.jpg

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Nice clean builds. The only thing you might try on the top one is a longer fuselage, give the tail section more leverage.

davereap

The top picture looks to have good proportions .. it just needs a decent sized tail fin and rudder plus some ailerons cut in..

Don't be frightened of increasing the size of all control surfaces ... start too big, because they can be trimmed back later if they are too effective.. or simply dialed down on the rates
similarly the tail fin and stabiliser can be made too big to start with then trimmed later...

go with TLAR...that looks about right.. then make it all a touch larger...

add dihedral to the wing if you want stability and more response from the rudder...
keep it flatter if you want to fly more on ailerons...bank and yank style..

Last edited:

kinshin250r

I do fly with ailerons mostly I hope to get a tx with mixing soon to allow me to mix in the rudder as I'm still new to the flying and tend to have oops moments too often. The "wings" there in the top pic are not wings but leftover from the two boards that I had made the wing from BTW the black is Elmer's foam board its very heavy compared to the adams. The top model I based the specs on the predetir drone scale it ended up with an all up weight of like 1400g I'll post a pic of my current project later today I did some reading on cg and all last night and Dave thanks for the control surface point I have been starting too small I think

davereap

don't go with heavy foam board, unless you take the heavy paper off.... use the cheap light weight stuff..

alternatively take off the heavier paper, then recover as needed with tape or laminating film, and use it like that...

being in the UK we use mostly depron or EPP ... which is almost the same foam as inside the foam boards.. we have to cover it where it needs some strength, and add CF spars... we often go with a KF build because that adds layers of foam and that adds to the strength...

you don't need to mix in the rudder its much better to get used to using both sticks
If you are getting too many oops moments find a more stable model to go with... we all tend to try to run before we can walk as they say... make a trainer or slow flying model... your bushwacker is good but its not a first model... that's more a middle level model

Last edited: