Suggestions for Versa Wing

sunair6

Hi, I am looking at getting my second plane, the Versa Wing. Looks like a fun next step up from my Sky Surfer. I am hoping for some speed and ease of build. Have a few questions.

1. Power pack kit or buy electronics seperately? (which engine, esc, etc.)
2. Prop suggestions? (moderate speed)
3. General recommendations for building/flying?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hello sunair6 and welcome to the FT forums/community! The FT Versa Wing is probably my favorite FT plane, and if it's your second plane, I certainly would build it to "spec" as per the FT recommendations:

https://store.flitetest.com/ft-versa-wing-speed-build-kit/

They recommend the C pack for the tractor configuration, and it sure looks perfect for that. I would build it tractor style because it'll be easier to get the center of gravity correct, and it'll be easier to launch if you build it with the landing gear.

You don't have to buy the FT C pack if you want to source the electronics elsewhere, but I would use approximately the same specifications.

It's a pretty easy, straightforward build, and the only recommendation I would make is to make sure if you use hot glue that your glue gun can output enough glue for some of the long lines needed.

Have fun and enjoy the building & flying!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Sunair,

First off, Welcome to the forum!

1. It's your call, but while the Power pack costs a bit more, everything matches. If you're building from plans, sizing your own kit will be cheaper, but if you're buying a SBK, might as well use the shipping to your advantage.

As far as alternatives . . .

For a tractor build with pod, the CF2822, 8x4.5 prop and 18A to 20A ESC from the B pack aren't a bad combo. More slow than "moderate speed", but comfortably flyable. Be advised, if you buy somewhere else, that motor typically does not come with a prop adaptor or bullets.

For pusher, I've liked the oomph I got from the Turnigy D2826-6 (2200kv), matched with a 5x5 prop (pick reversed or pusher, if you can find it, but not critical) and a 35A to 40A ESC.

In either case, cheap 9 gram servos like the HXT 900's are up to the task.

2. (see 1)

3. If building from plans, Build and join the wings, but before you put on the winglets, strip off all the foam and cover with packing tape. saves a LOT of weight, moves the natural CG forward (easier to balance) and the packing tape is more waterproof and durable than the paper it replaced. For the balance shift alone, you might consider doing this with the waterproof foam in the SBK.

Take GREAT CARE in the dry-folding and gluing up the wing-halves, particularly in the second wing half. It's VERY easy to fold up the two halves differently (thick or thin). It won't fly much different thick or thin, but if they don't match it will be hard to join the wing halves and won't fly happy.

Otherwise, get the balance right and she's a fun wing. I've built several and been pleased with them all. Good luck and post a few pics once you've got her built and flying :)

sunair6

WOW!! Thanks for the quick responses. Quickest responses I have ever seen to a forum posting.

Anyway...

I forgot to mention that I wanted to have the plane pusher style. Looks a lot better visually and shouldn't be a problem if I used a large battery with it. So, would the Power Pack C still work pusher style? Wasn't sure if the props that came with it would be too large to fit in the back.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Unfortunately no. The power pack C requires much too big of a prop -- it won't fit between the ailerons. That's why the specs recommend it as tractor only. you can put a shorter prop on it, but it simply won't spin it fast enough to take advantage of the bigger motor's power.