Swapping receivers into other planes within a power pod

zjguy721

I come from a (long) history of ground RC, but I've never run into this situation before.

I always run one receiver for each rig, figured each one was tied into each model memory in the radio.

If you run a power pod "swappable" setup, and you put it into a new airframe, how does that work with the model memory? Is it as simple as rebinding it once you hook the wires up?

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
You just need to rebind each time you switch airframes. If your radio has mutiple models, just choose the model you want to fly, bind your receiver, check your controls and fly!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Usually you don't even have to rebind, as once a receiver is bound to a radio, it's "for life", until you decide to bind it with another radio. When you bind the receiver, you are telling it to memorize the particular ID of that radio, which is why you can bind as many receivers as you wish, as the radio doesn't actually "remember" a receiver, and each receiver only remembers one radio. All that binding each time before flying is only really for really low end radios, or the typical micro stuff like helicopters, where binding is only half of it (the other half being determination of horizontal on the gyro). Also, a radio doesn't bind a receiver to a specific model setting, so there is no problem in binding one swappable receiver with a radio and just changing model numbers, as all those settings per model are internal to the transmitter. The only thing you have to remember is what plugs in where, especially when it comes to V-tails and Delta wings/flying wings, as putting the 2 ailerons the wrong way aroundfor the settings you programmed for that particular model can have desasterous results... best thig is to just mark each servo lead by the plug with a number to remember what channel to plug it in to.

zjguy721

Cool, that helps. I kind of figured it wasn't a big deal, but knowing I don't have to rebind every time is even better.

DDSFlyer

Yeah just make sure your control surfaces all match up correctly when swapping power pods from plane to plane. Some surfaces may still need to be reversed if you just didn't build them exactly the same orientation.