That plane you have, but never fly

MrClean

I've got some HobbyKing racer sitting up on the shelf. My home field is too rough for the little gear and all but it doesn't matter, I just like the way the plane looks.

I can't have a static plane?

Swanno

I'm going to fix my FT Sportster, take out all the electronics and hang it up. Sadly it was not air worthy. So I guess I will also just have a nice looking static plane.

kacknor

Build another!

Do you guys have a short flying season? Here I can usually get away with flying in winter just have to avoid the wind and get some flying in between the rain which is generally pretty easy.

The season is shorter in some places than it is in others. I am in Columbus Ohio. As I type it's about -15c but the wind has calmed down to about 15 kmph so technically, it's possible. But my toes might get cold so I'll wait. ;)

I'm lucky, there is a dome in town catering to golfers, an indoor driving range. Every two weeks one of the local clubs rents it for three hours and we get to fly inside. Large enough for a 28" wingspan Speedster I just built but mostly used for smaller stuff. Every two weeks... Sigh. Still, it's better than frozen toes.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24409-80-Old-Speedster-with-Extras

Life is good!
JD

dayve

Wow! I didn't realize those were that cheap. $11 receivers were a major factor in me choosing FlySky gear. Well, I suspect price is *the* major factor in anyone choosing FlySky gear. :) I can put whole new plane in the air for less than some people spend on a receiver. If I had $1000+ of fiberglass and balsa (and hundreds of hours of my time) in the air, then I'd make a different choice. I think the cheap receivers are well suited for FT planes, though.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
This is like a true confessions thread. Ok here it goes...

The West Michigan Parkflyers Mako XL.

Mako XK.jpg

I have flown it in Real Flight. My friend has flown it several times. It's trimmed out out and flies beautifully. I don't get much flight time in and I'm still new to 4 channel. I can't seem to bring myself to fly it.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
EFL10180-GAL02.jpg

Got a really good deal on the E-Flite Scimitar 3 years ago and it's still sitting in the box. Hoping to rectify that this year!

MrClean

Those Scimitars are garbage. You'd be better off shipping that to me and I'll send you up a half a FF Monocopter called a Charybdis. Yea it runs on stinky 25 % Nitro fuel and can be a pain BUT it's free flight so if you lose it you won't lose a receiver.

MrClean

If you don't want the Charybdis you should still send me the scimitar.

Remember, I'm here for you.

The Flying Brit

The first plane I bought was a dynam sbach 342 With a 1250mm wingspan , and as your already thinking it was probably the worst thing to buy as a first plane. But as a young kid I just thought it looked cool. It's been a few years now and i am still yet to maiden it. I think it was that moment when I pulled it out and sore the size of it I just thought yeah, that's not happening. To this day I am yet to fly it even thought II'm capable. What a shame!!!

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Do you guys have a short flying season? Here I can usually get away with flying in winter just have to avoid the wind and get some flying in between the rain which is generally pretty easy.

I have pretty nice season (March-November the past few years), but a big disadvantage of having few places to fly. My main park is technically a baseball/soccer field which is used a lot in the spring after school, and intermittently in the summer. All the other fields are too small to fly anything substantial, like a glider; part of why I can never use it. Also, I can only fly after school, and the SHORT days with daylight savings are taking their toll: weekends only until the clocks change back, or the days lengthen

ridepate

Model-Tech P-51, 60-inch. Signed by three of the Tuskegee-Airman at an airshow at Maxwell-Field in Montgomery,Alabama in 1996. Flew it 3 times and after it was signed. Could not bring myself to fly it again. Stripped it out except for retracts and retract-servo. Been a wall hanger for 20 years now. Charles "Chuck" "A-Train" Dryden is on there. I cannot remember the other two. I'd have to get it down. It's been hanging in this house for 14 years.

25smww9.jpg

Last edited:

kacknor

Build another!
Wow! I didn't realize those were that cheap. $11 receivers were a major factor in me choosing FlySky gear. Well, I suspect price is *the* major factor in anyone choosing FlySky gear. :) I can put whole new plane in the air for less than some people spend on a receiver. If I had $1000+ of fiberglass and balsa (and hundreds of hours of my time) in the air, then I'd make a different choice. I think the cheap receivers are well suited for FT planes, though.

I sure had it in mind when I chose Spektrum. The TX are high, but I've never issues and help is only a video away from just about any questions. The Lemon RX are inexpensive, but I'll not call them cheap. ;)

JD

Theflyingfoam

I have a plane i got about a year ago and have only flown once since. Its some generic A-10 somebody gave me. The plane flies great but its an awkward size. Too big for my field next to my house and too light to fly at my bigger field with the wind.