The big bang of Mustangs

mayan

Legendary member
That's unfortunate, have you figured out what the problem is?
Nope, I think it's the motor though. I got it to work at home and said ok I'll try again at the field this morning. At the field this morning it did work prop off and then prop on nothing. The only way I got it to work anyways was by brusting the motor untill it caught up and started spinning like a gasser :). Long story short after I broke the front part of my Arrowhead, I swapped out the motor and put it on the Mini Mustang, more about that later.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nope, I think it's the motor though. I got it to work at home and said ok I'll try again at the field this morning. At the field this morning it did work prop off and then prop on nothing. The only way I got it to work anyways was by brusting the motor untill it caught up and started spinning like a gasser :). Long story short after I broke the front part of my Arrowhead, I swapped out the motor and put it on the Mini Mustang, more about that later.
Yeah, just what happened with mine. It would start up no problem without a load, it has issues with a prop on.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That's too bad I've had that happen before, one time the motor never worked again, but the other time I just had to re-calibrate the ESC and it worked.

mach1 rc

Master member
Ok so after building and trashing one Mini Mustang, rebuilding it and decorating it, yesterday I took it out to try and maiden it. The thing is that it didn't work out, check it out.
That sucks I've had several cheap motors do that and I've never found a way to fix them. But that was before I knew about throttle calibration so I might have been able to save some through calibration.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wings cutout! I'm gonna go fly the Shrubby in some light snow and then assemble them.
P1280704.JPG

K3V0

Elite member
@mayan , bummer about the motor. I too have had that issue. One 1806 motor got fouled up when I used mounting screws that were too long. It gave the same crunchy sounds😬. It was a compact build and I was thinking of making a second one with 9g servos too. I’m interested in how yours flies with them. Good luck 🍀next flight!
@Grifflyer, your shrubsmacker looks fantastic! The orange accents really pop in the winter! I’ve been loosely following it and saw your videos of it flying around the snow. I know you’re having a lot of fun with it!😃 can’t wait to see your mustang build too!
I put my headless little mustang back together last night. Some HG, some plastic strips from a water bottle and packing tape and we’re back in business! I’ll try it out tomorrow weather permitting.
AD51A598-4A7C-47BD-BCF7-78A162C94F5A.jpeg
B621474A-591B-473A-985D-F5BA4946FA3B.jpeg
0298DF35-5245-4328-9A58-8AB6FB6AB8E1.jpeg
Another thing that made rebuilding easy is that i opted to use magnets for the hatch cover. I think it’s hilarious when I have a bad landing and the whole thing ejects into the air😂! And then it just goes back on no problem.
12CB5A0B-85D1-4FE6-B72A-D083E452DD44.jpeg
Last thing I’ll say is that the 6x4 APC prop I’ve been using is great! I know it’ll probably blow to smithereens next flight but it’s a champ! ( I’m putting a spare in my bag rn) Happy building/ flying all!

mach1 rc

Master member
@mayan , bummer about the motor. I too have had that issue. One 1806 motor got fouled up when I used mounting screws that were too long. It gave the same crunchy sounds😬. It was a compact build and I was thinking of making a second one with 9g servos too. I’m interested in how yours flies with them. Good luck 🍀next flight!
@Grifflyer, your shrubsmacker looks fantastic! The orange accents really pop in the winter! I’ve been loosely following it and saw your videos of it flying around the snow. I know you’re having a lot of fun with it!😃 can’t wait to see your mustang build too!
I put my headless little mustang back together last night. Some HG, some plastic strips from a water bottle and packing tape and we’re back in business! I’ll try it out tomorrow weather permitting. View attachment 151277 View attachment 151278 View attachment 151279 Another thing that made rebuilding easy is that i opted to use magnets for the hatch cover. I think it’s hilarious when I have a bad landing and the whole thing ejects into the air😂! And then it just goes back on no problem. View attachment 151280 Last thing I’ll say is that the 6x4 APC prop I’ve been using is great! I know it’ll probably blow to smithereens next flight but it’s a champ! ( I’m putting a spare in my bag rn) Happy building/ flying all!
Magnets sound like awesome idea

K3V0

Elite member
Magnets sound like awesome idea
It’s one of those little things that make it kinda fun! I’m sure on a high performance plane or even on an f pack for that matter the hatch would fling off in the wind or during a maneuver. But it’s nice that I’m not trying to thread one more skewer or forgetting to secure the hatch.