The Bixler Build

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I've been using a 20C 2200 for some time now and it works fine. I get about 30mins flight time with it.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Does it matter if I take a 20C battery or a 25C Battery for the Bixler?

The C rating on a battery is the discharge capacity it has.

The stock Bixler motor pulls less than 20 Amps. Now this is the discharge calculation:

Big number on the battery (Amp hours) x Discharge Rating (C Rating) = Maximum Discharge capacity in Amps

The big number is the same as the amount of mAhs divided by 1000. 1 Ah = 1000 mAh

So for the 2200mAh 25 C:

......2.2 x 25 = 55 Amps, which is well above the required 20 Amps.

For the 2200mAh 20 C:

......2.2 x 20 = 44 Amps, still well above the required 20 Amps.

For the 1300mAh 25 C:

......1.3 x 25 = 32.5 Amps, still enough.

In the case of a 1300mAh 20 C:

......1.3 x 20 = 26 Amps, just enough.

Note that a 1300mAh of 25 C doesn't provide the same discharge capacity as a 2200 mAh of 25 C. Even if they have the same C rating!

-------------------

For quick reference,
the mAh number (1300, 2200) is the amount of gasoline you can put in your car.
The maximum amp draw is how fast you can pull out gasoline out of it.
The Amp draw is how much gasoline your engine sucks.

Last edited:

monoton

Bought a Bixler as my first plane, i'm still waiting for it! :) what prop (size) is fitted from factory?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I use this one for my own Bixler, since I lost the stock propeller. Just make sure you balance it right.

(same as bmsweb pointed out, I guess we were both posting simultaneously)

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
That prop is the same thing I have in my cart. According to the comments its mostly balanced so it means my work should be reduced.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Question: Can I use 1600mAh 20C 3S and/or 1500mAh 20C 3S on my Bixler with 6x4 prop and stock motor or will the 20C be too little?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yes you can, but you'll need to add some weight to balance out the plane - the washers pre-installed in the Bixler ARF add enough weight to balance a 1300mAh 3s. If you're going to use 1600s or 1500s, don't bother removing the washers and don't quite put the batteries all the way up into the nose. I'd recommend buying a couple of 2200mAh 3s batteries though, as they're very cheap, balance the plane better and of course give you much longer flight times.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yes you can, but you'll need to add some weight to balance out the plane - the washers pre-installed in the Bixler ARF add enough weight to balance a 1300mAh 3s. If you're going to use 1600s or 1500s, don't bother removing the washers and don't quite put the batteries all the way up into the nose. I'd recommend buying a couple of 2200mAh 3s batteries though, as they're very cheap, balance the plane better and of course give you much longer flight times.

You can put anything in between 1300 and 2500 mAh - as long as you balance the plane. 20C es enough, but more is always better (and more expensive)

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
I had some nanotechs in my cart but they went out of stock right now... and we all know... BK is a no no. :D

Last edited:

monoton

Well I have to do some more HK shopping, before i even got my first plane, It's a nice to have an excuse to buy FPV kit.

Jackismycopilot

Park 480?

I recently had an all foam destroyed crash of my SR-10. All the electronics survived. Could I use that Park 480 on this plane?