The Buddy Box Conundrum

I come seeking more advice from those wiser than I.

The setup- My girlfriend surprised the heck out of me this evening when I was talking about flying and seemed unusually interested. I asked her if she wanted to learn how to fly and her response was "Absofrikkinloutly!" Well ok then!

Here is the Conundrum. I'm not an experienced flyer. I self taught on a Champ and do OK. However I would still like to be able to teach her how to fly with a buddy box to remove the stress and some of the crashes that I went through when I was learning. To do that I'm considering multiple options.

1. Get 2 new Spektrum radios for the Champ and learn on it. (I only have the stock radio for the Champ, with no buddy box capability on the Spektrum side)

2. Use my Tactic 650 as master, buy a TTX 404 or 600 as slave and a different beginner suitable plane.

3. Some unknown option

Each has it's pro's and cons
If I go with Tactic, I have wireless training and a radio I'm already familiar with. But then I have to find a suitable plane.

If I go with Spektrum I have to buy 2 new radios (or wait for the DX9) But then I could use my Champ which is an excellent trainer plane.

Money is a consideration but I could afford either option.

Which way would ya'all go? (I also posted this on RC Groups so forgive me if you have read it over there

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Wish I could help you on this, but I have not buddy box experience. I'm very interested to see the replies as we are resurrecting the RC Flight Club this year.

There have been some good replies over on RC Groups...I'll put up a summary of what others have said over there.
(I cross posted to get as many different opinions as possible)

Wait to get a Spektrum DX9 when it becomes available. Spektrum does seem to be the most popular system and a DX9 could buddy box ANY Spektrum radio. From my little stock Champ radio, all the way up to a DX18 if you wanted to prank someone. :black_eyed:

Flyzone Sensei is available with a TTX 650 in a combo for $319. It would be a great trainer and I could buddy box her with my Radian as well (Radian is set up with a Tactic RX)

Get another TTX 650 and just use my Radian to teach her on.

I just have trouble seeing the Radian as a first plane, I know others have done it but I think this would be difficult. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Radian. It's big, slow, stable. But flying it, to me, is also like a suggestion between me and the plane. You apply some rudder, the plane thinks about it and if it feels like it, it will go that direction. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, if you apply a little more, it will go that way, eventually or RIGHT NOW, it just depends. I overcontrolled it a LOT when I first started flying it because it took so much time to react. I thought I was doing something wrong.

The Champ, on the other hand, while being slow as well, reacts right away to inputs and is very unintimidating due to its size as well. Provided it's calm, I think it's perfect for a trainer.

Regarding your Flight Club, are you starting out with a club trainer plane that everyone would learn on? To me the Wireless trainer seems like a VERY good way to do it.

(Getting into psychology here, forgive me) With a corded setup the mind seems to say "The instructor is in control and I'm the meek student." Whereas if it's wireless, the instructor can step away from the student and allow them a feeling of being the one in control. It would be easier to help with confidence issues if the instructor isn't standing RIGHT there. I so hope that makes sense!

A small thing maybe but I think its a good one.

Well this got resolved a lot faster than I thought it would. Had a very helpful conversation with a Hobbico employee over on RC Groups and he talked me into a TTX 404. So I have one of those on the way to me :)

I was seriously impressed with their customer service so decided to go that route. Now to dig into the Flyzone offerings and see what would be a good trainer. Large with the Sensei or smaller, like the Champ, with the Playmate. Also the SE5a is on a big sale at Tower for $40 right now....wonder how that would work as a trainer?

knife-edge

Well this got resolved a lot faster than I thought it would. Had a very helpful conversation with a Hobbico employee over on RC Groups and he talked me into a TTX 404. So I have one of those on the way to me :)

I was seriously impressed with their customer service so decided to go that route. Now to dig into the Flyzone offerings and see what would be a good trainer. Large with the Sensei or smaller, like the Champ, with the Playmate. Also the SE5a is on a big sale at Tower for $40 right now....wonder how that would work as a trainer?

Biplanes are not the best to learn on. Why not build an ft flyer or a nutball? Then as she gets better, she can upgrade to something like the versa wing.

I have built an FT Flyer and to be honest it was a disaster. Too much dihedral, weighed about 5 pounds, flew 3 times and dutch rolled like crazy. It has gone to the great foam scrap heap in the sky.

I do plan on visiting scratch building again but when learning to fly, I do quite a bit better with a known good product.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have built an FT Flyer and to be honest it was a disaster. Too much dihedral, weighed about 5 pounds, flew 3 times and dutch rolled like crazy. It has gone to the great foam scrap heap in the sky.
the Swappables do like to be kept light. I think that was probably the main issue. Too much dihedral probably didn't help either as you end up chasing the roll...

Was able to change from the TTX 404 to another TTX 650 :)
This is going to make buddy boxing so much easier. Love the wireless trainer!
2013-08-21+14.50.47.jpg

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
spektrum sucks (just had to throw that in) and you probably need to find someone with experience teaching others to fly at the field to help you...I do it all the time and I don't use a buddy box...

If she isn't flying the simulator yet, put her on it..make a game of it..

Well the buddy box system worked fantastic and she did very very well for her first time. Used my Radian and I launched and landed it and transferred control to her when she was ready. Only made it through basic corners and having to apply elevator but it was a very good lesson.

The nearest field with an instructor is about 50 miles away but there are quite a few hoops to jump through to becoming a member so I don't want to do that unless she gets hooked. With a 1900 acre farm to fly on, we are not starving for flying locations :)
Also thanks for the simulator suggestion but she HATES video games with a passion so that was a NO go when I tried. From the looks of this first lesson I think we'll do just fine.