The Flying Box - DEVELOPMENT

wrongflyer

wrongflyer
Hi, it seems the airflow over the elevons is working great for elevation but seems to do nothing on the roll, this may be because the volume of air flow over both control surfaces in elevator mode are in affect thrust vectoring in one direction which is giving you positive directional control, thumbs up! however it would seem that the two control surfaces in the roll dont have enought surface area to give positive control, all the weight down low may also be a contributing factor as it is probably acting as apendulum.
I would use the rear outside 1/4 of both sides of the box as a twin rudder, being on the outside and the thrust should give you more of a turning affect kicking the rear end out if you like.
Just my thoughts hope they are of some use.
Wrongflyer. ;-)

BostonClipper

Keep what you have except... Make the other "vertical" bottom support the rudder. Notch both ailerons with a vee to accommodate the throw of the rudder.

Crash Test

Chad, I think you got it right (almost) 2nd time out. For me, here are the two rules: 1. Respect the box. Make it look like a box. (like Chad says.) Deal with the faults. 2. Make it simple (2 servos max) so anyone can build it cheap and quick. No airfoil. I think it is real close to perfect in the vid. Just shorten it a bit. Not totally square. That'll help the C/G. The box sides represent so much rudder already, don't even try to fight it. Eliminate the vertical rear center stab/rudder ( just use a carbon rod for support). Keep the elevons like they are. Replace the lipo with two much smaller ones. One on each vertical side at the leading edge just below the horizontal center line. Use as little weight as possible to compliment the vertical take-off. Push everything else (rx,esc,servos,and wiring) as far forward as possible (like on the leading edge) to help with the C/G. It should be about 20% with these mods. Keep the box a solid color. If you need visual orientation during rolls, put a shipping label on one side.
I love these weird projects. Hope this helps. I'll be watching this thread to see how you work it out.
Remember: Drag is always greatest where any part of the airframe touches it's own shadow...............

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Sorry guys... I got in over my head on this one!

I've had so many failed attempts. It's like each version gets worse! I won't give up on it. I just don't have much to report yet. Thanks for sticking with me kids ;)

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Chad, I think you got it right (almost) 2nd time out. For me, here are the two rules: 1. Respect the box. Make it look like a box. (like Chad says.) Deal with the faults. 2. Make it simple (2 servos max) so anyone can build it cheap and quick. No airfoil. I think it is real close to perfect in the vid. Just shorten it a bit. Not totally square. That'll help the C/G. The box sides represent so much rudder already, don't even try to fight it. Eliminate the vertical rear center stab/rudder ( just use a carbon rod for support). Keep the elevons like they are. Replace the lipo with two much smaller ones. One on each vertical side at the leading edge just below the horizontal center line. Use as little weight as possible to compliment the vertical take-off. Push everything else (rx,esc,servos,and wiring) as far forward as possible (like on the leading edge) to help with the C/G. It should be about 20% with these mods. Keep the box a solid color. If you need visual orientation during rolls, put a shipping label on one side.
I love these weird projects. Hope this helps. I'll be watching this thread to see how you work it out.
Remember: Drag is always greatest where any part of the airframe touches it's own shadow...............

Thanks for the encouragement and dedication to the integrity of the box. Gotta' respect the box!
You have some good ideas I'm excited to try.
Thanks!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I don't much about reflashing stuff. I don't really care for all that. The AS3X is a 3 axis gyro system. There must be something to it or horizon would just slap 3 gyros on everything.

teflyer

Full Circle
I think the AS3X just dampens the effects of turbulence so that the person has full control on the plane. Gyros I think control the plane a little more. so the person does not really have full control (overactive gyro)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I don't think there's much difference. If you set the individual gyros up correctly they would probably act the same.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I think that the special thing with the AS3X is that it's super small and lightweight so that you can use it on indoor planes. Well, so they can put it on indoor planes.

I think this "flying box" project could use a gyro (if it's still alive) to fly better, especially on the roll axis.