The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think these hinges / control horns will work no problem, actually pretty slick even if I say so myself. Printed the CH1 both ways , standing up and laying down . Standing up easier to get the supports off, did have to use the razor to break the lock tab from the pin , laying down not a big deal getting the supports out and actually the pin was then a better circle so the hinge a little smoother. The locked together without the locks breaking off :)

Not sure how far you want the wing to overlap the ailerons but on my test piece I went in 3mm from the edge and then cut the 2mm x 40mm registers. Now if you are going to update the plans to incorporate these the CH1 (with the locks) will need to go on the wing and because they sit side by side with the others you registers on the ailerons have to be offset 2mm . If you want both wings with the CH1 horns to look the same and the offsets the same print 4 as is and then in Cura mirror them and print four more so you have a left and right. Depending where you want the hinge line or wing to overlap the ailerons the registers are all 2mm x 40mm , to make a snug fit I would probably put them as 1.6 mm x 40mm .

2020_0114_102619_001.JPG
2020_0114_103604_001.JPG
2020_0114_103730_001.JPG
2020_0114_103735_002.JPG
2020_0114_103754_003.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looks good, the integrated control horn Take some guess work out of it. As far as the registers go the suggested areas on the land will be subjective depending on whether someone has a 3D printer or not. I don't have one so the cardstock hinges work great, move freely and haven't loosened up from wear at all. The 2mm overlap leaves room to iron all the edges for strength and a smooth look. Great job thanks @Wildthing

Wildthing

Legendary member
Looks good, the integrated control horn Take some guess work out of it. As far as the registers go the suggested areas on the land will be subjective depending on whether someone has a 3D printer or not. I don't have one so the cardstock hinges work great, move freely and haven't loosened up from wear at all. The 2mm overlap leaves room to iron all the edges for strength and a smooth look. Great job thanks @Wildthing

How much overlap from wing to aileron do you have. With me offsetting the registers in 3mm from the edge I have about 7 or 8mm overlap on the test piece.

Here is a print ready G-code with all the control horns including the mirrored CH1 plus one for the elevator and rudder. Your bed has to be minimum 200mm x 200mm , mine is 220mm x 220mm .

Attachments

• KitFox Control Horn Set.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
How much overlap from wing to aileron do you have. With me offsetting the registers in 3mm from the edge I have about 7 or 8mm overlap on the test piece.

Here is a print ready G-code with all the control horns including the mirrored CH1 plus one for the elevator and rudder. Your bed has to be minimum 200mm x 200mm , mine is 220mm x 220mm .
I can't seem to open it, does it need a special app to work?

The overlap will be subjective as well, just like the amount of throw you will get given the length of servo arm you use. As I can tell from the full scale being it uses flaperon's, when deployed in full down position the air flow between the bottom of the wing and the LE on the aileron is almost cut right off. I don't think this needs to be the case here so the overlap does not need to be drastic, causing pitch instability. If in full down position you still have a 1/2 - 5/8" gap that should be fine. Mine has about a 5-6mm overlap when the ailerons are parallel to the bottom of the wing

Wildthing

Legendary member

The overlap will be subjective as well, just like the amount of throw you will get given the length of servo arm you use. As I can tell from the full scale being it uses flaperon's, when deployed in full down position the air flow between the bottom of the wing and the LE on the aileron is almost cut right off. I don't think this needs to be the case here so the overlap does not need to be drastic, causing pitch instability. If in full down position you still have a 1/2 - 5/8" gap that should be fine. Mine has about a 5-6mm overlap when the ailerons are parallel to the bottom of the wing

It should be very close to what you have then, I think the space between the aileron and wing is about 20mm which is what yours should be about.

I think if a person wanted to close off flow when fully down you just make the ailerons a little wider in depth and offset the aileron hinges farther in. Or even in your case you could just glue a strip of foam to the leading edge of the aileron.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It should be very close to what you have then, I think the space between the aileron and wing is about 20mm which is what yours should be about.

I think if a person wanted to close off flow when fully down you just make the ailerons a little wider in depth and offset the aileron hinges farther in. Or even in your case you could just glue a strip of foam to the leading edge of the aileron.
I think if there was a complete cut off in the down position there would be no bleed off and make a flaperon to effective causing pitch and control problems when trying to land. Reducing the amount of throw with the flaperon will help with this too.

Wildthing

Legendary member

It is a zip file of a G-code for a 3D printer , first you have to right click and extract the file then possibly depending on your software you may be able to view it. Someone with a 3D printer could take the file , copy it to a sd card and print directly from it without going into Cura or whatever slicer they use.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think if there was a complete cut off in the down position there would be no bleed off and make a flaperon to effective causing pitch and control problems when trying to land. Reducing the amount of throw with the flaperon will help with this too.
By the way I braved the cold and took the plans down to Staples to print :) . Now I will have to brave the cold again to go get them . :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: