The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

alan0043

Super clean looking build! Just so you know, it's designed to fit the swappable power pod.

Hi Hangar,

Thank you for sharing your plans with the rc community. I hope I am reading your statement from above correct. Your plane design will allow for the full size swappable power pod ? Is there a need to cut the 4 tabs off ? I like your design. I am hoping later this fall I can start the build. I need to get more practice in with my tiny trainer before I go on and build another plane. I believe your simple stick design will make for a good companion for the tiny trainer.

Al

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi Hangar,

Thank you for sharing your plans with the rc community. I hope I am reading your statement from above correct. Your plane design will allow for the full size swappable power pod ? Is there a need to cut the 4 tabs off ? I like your design. I am hoping later this fall I can start the build. I need to get more practice in with my tiny trainer before I go on and build another plane. I believe your simple stick design will make for a good companion for the tiny trainer.

Al
Awesome! It would definitely be a great companion for your tiny trainer. It fits the swappable power pod including the 4 tabs, although they aren’t necessary for alignment.

Robin Bennett

Do you use dxf Format to plot your g-code?
(Just wondering.)
I usually use Inkscape to work with drawings, it can handle DXF but I tend to work with SVG mostly. I'm not entirely sure why I've developed that preference.
Then I use Estlcam to turn the drawing into gcode.

Lots of people use Fusion360 but it doesn't work on Linux and (apparently) it's gcode functions are far more powerful (i.e. complicated) than I need. Estlcam is really simple (if a little clunky in places)

At the end of the page for the needle cutter is a link to "Videos on how to use InkScape and Estlcam to prepare files for cutting"
https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/foam-needle-cutter/

Michael9865

Elite member
I usually use Inkscape to work with drawings, it can handle DXF but I tend to work with SVG mostly. I'm not entirely sure why I've developed that preference.
Then I use Estlcam to turn the drawing into gcode.

Lots of people use Fusion360 but it doesn't work on Linux and (apparently) it's gcode functions are far more powerful (i.e. complicated) than I need. Estlcam is really simple (if a little clunky in places)

At the end of the page for the needle cutter is a link to "Videos on how to use InkScape and Estlcam to prepare files for cutting"
https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/foam-needle-cutter/

I use Estlcam to turn the dxf into g-code.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have gone thru the post looking for pictures of were the battery is placed. Is the battery being held in place with velcro under the power pod like most other FT designs ? Like the simple scout ? I haven't printed the plans out yet. Just trying to do some research ahead of time.

Thanks for any info,
Al

Later today. I have the plans all printed out. Not taped together yet. I need to get some scotch tape to get the prints together.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi Everyone,

I have gone thru the post looking for pictures of were the battery is placed. Is the battery being held in place with velcro under the power pod like most other FT designs ? Like the simple scout ? I haven't printed the plans out yet. Just trying to do some research ahead of time.

Thanks for any info,
Al

Later today. I have the plans all printed out. Not taped together yet. I need to get some scotch tape to get the prints together.
Awesome! There’s a hatch on top of the nose and the battery fits inside the power pod.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I checked in on the WDYFT thread but wanted to confirm that the stick did great. I had some initial issues trimming mostly due to the new TX and I think I can adjust the weight a little but it flies brilliantly. The 10x4.5 prop seems to give the best thrust as the 8x8 could barely keep it in the air. Learned a lot with it and I recommend the rubber band style LG as they take a beating.

Kinger

Well......damn. Just made my Stik "ugly."

Had a damn near perfect build. So much so the pushrod length could be copied side to side with no adjustment due to servo placement variance. It was mint and I'm super proud. She was heavy though. Mounting the servos in the tail mean I had to push my 2200 3S to the firewall and add 3 giant washers as ballast just to make her balance. My concerns went though away when I felt the pull of the 10x4.7 prop. OK, this is gonna work.

Suppose all of my glee in a spotless build was being watched by Murphy....

.....BTW I set up flaperons which I was super stoked to try! Dammit though I never got that far. Yeah, hardly complicated but I was stoked on them.:p

Maiden: wife does a perfect toss. Controls are touchy bc I set them up with aggressive throws. One or two weird banks but getting it under control...... Controller - beep beep! If you aren't fluent in "beep beep" this meant.... your TX battery is dead and I'm not controlling the aircraft anymore. I have never had this happen and don't know what's going on. Aircraft goes into an impressive series of rolls and finally lawn darts into (thankfully cushy) grass. Literally sticking straight up. I've been vacuuming dirt out of the motor as it was underground. :cry:

Fuuuu.........***************. I should have known better. Still on AA batts for the TX and usually replace them super early (yes I know I need a rechargeable. Already ordered) but I thought I'd get a warning. Will have to check the set up as I expected a warning before full "we're done here." IIRC it was mid-low 5.something volts.

On to the damage.....rubber bands ripped into the leading edge. Power pod is cocked to the left now (plywood is slightly broken). Power pod pin holes are all stretched out. Lots of stress marks on the airframe but the wing is good, tail is untouched, and the motor seems fine. Prop broke of course. Motor was full of dirt.

I've been patching, gluing, etc. for the last hour or two. I would have tried to re-maiden immediately if I had my extra prop but I didnt bring it with me. So she's gonna go up again tomorrow (fingers crossed) a bit heavier and a bit wonky. Depending on how that goes I may rebuild the whole thing, but hopefully I get a few good "beater" acro sessions out of it which is exactly what I want.

She's now living up to the original "ugly" name. Makes me cry a little but I'll get over it.

PS - always looking for an upside: glad I learned about my non-existent voltage warning that I thought I had set on this instead of an expensive model (which I was flying minutes before). Def user error on my part. Embarrassing, but that's a feeling we all share at some point.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well......damn. Just made my Stik "ugly."

Had a damn near perfect build. So much so the pushrod length could be copied side to side with no adjustment due to servo placement variance. It was mint and I'm super proud. She was heavy though. Mounting the servos in the tail mean I had to push my 2200 3S to the firewall and add 3 giant washers as ballast just to make her balance. My concerns went though away when I felt the pull of the 10x4.7 prop. OK, this is gonna work.

Suppose all of my glee in a spotless build was being watched by Murphy....

.....BTW I set up flaperons which I was super stoked to try! Dammit though I never got that far. Yeah, hardly complicated but I was stoked on them.:p

Maiden: wife does a perfect toss. Controls are touchy bc I set them up with aggressive throws. One or two weird banks but getting it under control...... Controller - beep beep! If you aren't fluent in "beep beep" this meant.... your TX battery is dead and I'm not controlling the aircraft anymore. I have never had this happen and don't know what's going on. Aircraft goes into an impressive series of rolls and finally lawn darts into (thankfully cushy) grass. Literally sticking straight up. I've been vacuuming dirt out of the motor as it was underground. :cry:

Fuuuu.........***************. I should have known better. Still on AA batts for the TX and usually replace them super early (yes I know I need a rechargeable. Already ordered) but I thought I'd get a warning. Will have to check the set up as I expected a warning before full "we're done here." IIRC it was mid-low 5.something volts.

On to the damage.....rubber bands ripped into the leading edge. Power pod is cocked to the left now (plywood is slightly broken). Power pod pin holes are all stretched out. Lots of stress marks on the airframe but the wing is good, tail is untouched, and the motor seems fine. Prop broke of course. Motor was full of dirt.

I've been patching, gluing, etc. for the last hour or two. I would have tried to re-maiden immediately if I had my extra prop but I didnt bring it with me. So she's gonna go up again tomorrow (fingers crossed) a bit heavier and a bit wonky. Depending on how that goes I may rebuild the whole thing, but hopefully I get a few good "beater" acro sessions out of it which is exactly what I want.

She's now living up to the original "ugly" name. Makes me cry a little but I'll get over it.

PS - always looking for an upside: glad I learned about my non-existent voltage warning that I thought I had set on this instead of an expensive model (which I was flying minutes before). Def user error on my part. Embarrassing, but that's a feeling we all share at some point.
Too bad about the crash! But at least it wasn’t a crash that was caused by some pilot error...