The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Are you using those with the 2212 motor? I just smoked two ESC in a row on a 2212/2200KV motor. 25A and 30A in that order. They were the cheap red brick type. If those are good for a 2212 I'll get some too.
Haha, no I'm using those for an 1806 and 2206. I have a Beatles 30A in the mail for the Simple Stick. It's actually a 2213 I think, old B-pack Emax motor.

Question for those that use tape instead of paint... Do you tape the whole plane or just the edges? Do you trim the designs on the plane or before you place it? Is there a brick and mortar store that sells colored tape?

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
Haha, no I'm using those for an 1806 and 2206. I have a Beatles 30A in the mail for the Simple Stick. It's actually a 2213 I think, old B-pack Emax motor.
I'll stick to 30A or larger for the 2212 then! I have a couple of Beatles ESC, they're good.

Question for those that use tape instead of paint... Do you tape the whole plane or just the edges? Do you trim the designs on the plane or before you place it? Is there a brick and mortar store that sells colored tape?
I haven't found a store that sells colored packing tape. You can find colored Duck tape at a lot of stores but I only use it for colored trim. It is good for reinforcing leading edges and tips. Not much weight penalty when used only for trim in that way.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'll stick to 30A or larger for the 2212 then! I have a couple of Beatles ESC, they're good.

I haven't found a store that sells colored packing tape. You can find colored Duck tape at a lot of stores but I only use it for colored trim. It is good for reinforcing leading edges and tips. Not much weight penalty when used only for trim in that way.
To save the cost of burning up esc's and just guessing what size you should use get a cheap $20.00 watt meter gauge so you can test how many amps the power setup is pulling before you even go out to the field.

TooJung2Die

Master member
To save the cost of burning up esc's and just guessing what size you should use get a cheap $20.00 watt meter gauge so you can test how many amps the power setup is pulling before you even go out to the field.
You can make a Wattmeter. Free if you get the meter at Harbor Freight as a give away. Link: $3 Wattmeter Also reads Volts and Amps.

3.00 watt meter.jpg

So I know the motor isn't exceeding 20A. I've been running these motors on 30A ESC for years. I got a couple of defective ESC's from the same source. The 25A lasted several weeks then began acting up. The 30A from the same supplier went up in a spectacular cloud of smoke on the first flight. :eek:

Kinger

So recommended motor/prop for increased performance? Still learning on motor/prop choices, but am not a beginner pilot. Would like good sport/pattern performance. How does this look?

FT 2212B-1050kv motor
APC 10x7 sport or 9x6 thin prop (need guidance here)
45 amp esc (didnt see any options for 40 and seems like some have burned up 35s)
Running primarily off of 2200mah 3S batteries

Picked up some of what I could from this thread but motors/props/etc are still a little hard for me to figure out.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
So recommended motor/prop for increased performance? Still learning on motor/prop choices, but am not a beginner pilot. Would like good sport/pattern performance. How does this look?

FT 2212B-1050kv motor
45 amp esc (didnt see any options for 40 and seems like some have burned up 35s)

Picked up some of what I could from this thread but motors/props/etc are still a little hard for me to figure out.
You should be flying great! I put a 2216 880kv motor running 9x6 and it had plenty of sporty power.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

FT 2212B-1050kv motor

That would fly it really well! I used a 9x6 thin electric prop on mine and was very happy with the performance. You listed the "B pack motor", and for a little more speed, you could use the 2218 1180 "C pack" motor. I used it on mine and it was very powerful.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I know I've been quiet on this but I've been slowly chipping away at the build as work / life allows. no pics but I've got everything assembled except landing gear and the elevator servo. I took some license with the wing and made the spar about 4mm taller which gives the wing a partially symmetrical airfoil. The down side to the wing mod was I had to carve out the fuse to get it to sit right. Still need make a power pod as I'd like to swap the motor from this to my Scout that still needs a new nose. That said I may add reinforcement to the nose of the Stick.

Planning to fly this on the Emax 2213 with either the supplied 10x4.5 or an APC 8x8 and depending on balance a 1300, 1500, or 2200 mah 3s. Servos are cheap 9g metal gear that say "tower pro" on the sticker. I really like these servos compared to the plastic ones for the price but I am not convinced they are tower pro. Assuming I work out the rest of the remaining tasks, this won't be maidened for at least 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:

Kinger

Build is mostly done, just waiting on the running gear to show up. Decided to go with the FT "C" pack motor. Once the electronics are installed I'll knock out all of the final stuff like wing tie downs. Also need to build a power pod or reinforce the nose (permanently). I think I may externally mount the tail servos near the back, I should have plenty of weight up front with 3 or 4s batteries. Given the extra power I may add some carbon supports for the rudder/stabilizer too. I knew I should have added a BBQ skewer to the rudder before hand :rolleyes: Also, landing gear is a ? for me....90% of my flying with this will likely be in tallish grass so may stick to my plan to skip them.

Glad I knocked out a "tiny trainer" for friends to use (crash) before tackling this. Helped me hone my foam techniques. This came out almost perfectly - the only imperfection is I was holding the rear fuse cap down a little too far (visible just behind the wing). I was too focused on getting the tail area fit without wrinkling the paper/foam. Otherwise it went together great.

Oh, also bc it was discussed before. No way my extra Hitec 9g mini servo would fit in the spar. Too long and tall. I decided not to cut holes for the servos until the blue HK specials show up.

She should fly great!

uglystik.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Build is mostly done, just waiting on the running gear to show up. Decided to go with the FT "C" pack motor. Once the electronics are installed I'll knock out all of the final stuff like wing tie downs. Also need to build a power pod or reinforce the nose (permanently). I think I may externally mount the tail servos near the back, I should have plenty of weight up front with 3 or 4s batteries. Given the extra power I may add some carbon supports for the rudder/stabilizer too. I knew I should have added a BBQ skewer to the rudder before hand :rolleyes: Also, landing gear is a ? for me....90% of my flying with this will likely be in tallish grass so may stick to my plan to skip them.

Glad I knocked out a "tiny trainer" for friends to use (crash) before tackling this. Helped me hone my foam techniques. This came out almost perfectly - the only imperfection is I was holding the rear fuse cap down a little too far (visible just behind the wing). I was too focused on getting the tail area fit without wrinkling the paper/foam. Otherwise it went together great.

Oh, also bc it was discussed before. No way my extra Hitec 9g mini servo would fit in the spar. Too long and tall. I decided not to cut holes for the servos until the blue HK specials show up.

She should fly great!

View attachment 176604
Super clean looking build! Just so you know, it's designed to fit the swappable power pod.