This is a bad idea, but isn't that the point?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I had an idea. I watched some old WWI and WWII films, and I wanted to have a new idea for next year's combat. I thought, Those barage balloons seem pretty practical, I wonder if I could replicate them for Flite Fest with some birthday balloons, fishing line, and a paperweight. I think you know where I am going. I don't think there are any rules against this. Thanks to Sproutz for advising against this, won't do it because of safety.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
What we did at the field was use helium balloons tie short string to a weight, had to try and cut the string first then as the ballon floated away hit the balloon. Did not go as planned first the Helium in those balloons do not lift much string and any wind put them on the ground, so we tried to break them lying on the ground.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm pretty sure you're not going to be allowed to put them out there while everyone is flying. Besides, combat flights are inherently dangerous to begin with (I speak from experience; I got hit in the head by a plane at the last combat event at my field), and putting even MORE things for people to dodge around without getting tangled up, or worse, winding the string around their props, could bring it down in a heartbeat - into the flight line. I don't want to be standing there if that happens. I truthfully think that's just an accident waiting to happen.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm pretty sure you're not going to be allowed to put them out there while everyone is flying. Besides, combat flights are inherently dangerous to begin with (I speak from experience; I got hit in the head by a plane at the last combat event at my field), and putting even MORE things for people to dodge around without getting tangled up, or worse, winding the string around their props, could bring it down in a heartbeat - into the flight line. I don't want to be standing there if that happens. I truthfully think that's just an accident waiting to happen.
Thanks for the advice.