Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Headbang

Master member
I have been laying a strip of packing tape on the leading edge before folding.

As well if building super light for the A pack, you can strip the paper 3/4" back from the aileron hinge up to the leading edge on the top of the wing (inside of course). But if building F pack and 9g servos do it like the plans state.

chris398mx

Master member
I have been laying a strip of packing tape on the leading edge before folding.

As well if building super light for the A pack, you can strip the paper 3/4" back from the aileron hinge up to the leading edge on the top of the wing (inside of course). But if building F pack and 9g servos do it like the plans state.
Thanks for the tip, yes was planning on an A pack build

mayan

Legendary member
Printed out the planes started titling the pages and hope to finish the build by Saturday which is the day I hope to maiden it. Say @Headbang what setup would you recommend to use for those that have to fly in winds ranging from 16-25km/hr?

Headbang

Master member
Printed out the planes started titling the pages and hope to finish the build by Saturday which is the day I hope to maiden it. Say @Headbang what setup would you recommend to use for those that have to fly in winds ranging from 16-25km/hr?
A heavier setup, 2205 2300kv with 9g servos and 800mAh 3s on a 6x3 prop. That said, this plane is so light that even a 15km wind throws it around.

chris398mx

Master member
Here it is mostly built.

IMG_4832.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Today I started building my HB A.F. Easy Edge :). I must mention that like the KFM Wing this is a simple build that uses only one sheet of FB; so thumbs up on that :). I didn’t finish the build yet but loved the way you came up with to connect the rudder back on. I used brown gorilla glue instead of super77 and hot glue on both the wing and the fuselage and set it aside to dry for the day, thus more building tomorrow :).

A883228F-E663-4AC9-85C3-A2A96A5E85F5.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm going to start mine soon once I finish my Viggen, 3D Bipe, and FB Ultra Stick. @Headbang What were some of the issuies you came across with using one servo for the ailerons? I'm thinking about trying it to reduce the weight... @mayan I like all the books that none of us know the titles:LOL:

Headbang

Master member
Today I started building my HB A.F. Easy Edge :). I must mention that like the KFM Wing this is a simple build that uses only one sheet of FB; so thumbs up on that :). I didn’t finish the build yet but loved the way you came up with to connect the rudder back on. I used brown gorilla glue instead of super77 and hot glue on both the wing and the fuselage and set it aside to dry for the day, thus more building tomorrow :).

View attachment 144458
That was always my plan with the wing, had to he fully symmetrical, had to fit on 1 sheet of foam board. Had to have the flying characteristics of an edge. Gorilla glue is wonderful stuff, just slower then I was willing to use on this build.

Headbang

Master member
I'm going to start mine soon once I finish my Viggen, 3D Bipe, and FB Ultra Stick. @Headbang What were some of the issuies you came across with using one servo for the ailerons? I'm thinking about trying it to reduce the weight... @mayan I like all the books that none of us know the titles:LOL:
2 biggest issues were it created a weak spot on the fuse, and the angle of the linkages were too extreme off angle to the hinge causing some odd binding.

Bricks

Master member
2 biggest issues were it created a weak spot on the fuse, and the angle of the linkages were too extreme off angle to the hinge causing some odd binding.

Look at how the Bloody Baron runs 1 servo for ailerons it is the same way many foamies use one servo only installed into the fuselage so half or less of the servo fits above the wing. Keep control horns on the same angle as the pushrod from the servo and there should be no binding.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Some day I will get back to the viggen. New needle cutter has been the priority
I love how everyone had a strong start and was excited to do it and then we all got other priorities and put the viggen on the back burner with the stove turned off😂. BUT @Photo001 finished his and I actually watched the 4s tv vid again and got inspired, so I might get to work on it soon...

mayan

Legendary member
That was always my plan with the wing, had to he fully symmetrical, had to fit on 1 sheet of foam board. Had to have the flying characteristics of an edge. Gorilla glue is wonderful stuff, just slower then I was willing to use on this build.
That's what made me ponder if I want to use it or not, and considering that it was getting late I just finished dinner and a beer so i said OK let's use it and let it rest the night. And considering I have a morning shift at work today also the morning, will get back to this in the afternoon or later in the evening.

I love how everyone had a strong start and was excited to do it and then we all got other priorities and put the viggen on the back burner with the stove turned off😂. BUT @Photo001 finished his and I actually watched the 4s tv vid again and got inspired, so I might get to work on it soon...
I would figure the viggen is not a simple build I would assume, and not an easy to fly plane either, just saying cause that's what happened to me with the x-29 me and @CarolineTyler are building. She flew her's already and I am still stuck with the build simply because I need to buy an EDF and 4S battery, so that is just letting it sit. I will get it eventually because I love that plane look, and also kinda want to feel sure I can fly it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'll be soon finishing up my current build, here. Then I am BY GOLLY gonna build the 2d3d HB EAF 3D! I can't wait! Ya'll please post video of your flights with it. It fuels our enthusiasm! :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I would figure the viggen is not a simple build I would assume, and not an easy to fly plane either, just saying cause that's what happened to me with the x-29 me and @CarolineTyler are building. She flew her's already and I am still stuck with the build simply because I need to buy an EDF and 4S battery, so that is just letting it sit. I will get it eventually because I love that plane look, and also kinda want to feel sure I can fly it.
The viggen is actually deceivingly simple. From what I can tell, the x-29 is a much more complex build. We’ll see how the flying part goes... I feel like I’m a decent pilot, but maidening my first jet - it even has thrust vectoring! - is a bit nerve racking!

mayan

Legendary member
The viggen is actually deceivingly simple. From what I can tell, the x-29 is a much more complex build. We’ll see how the flying part goes... I feel like I’m a decent pilot, but maidening my first jet - it even has thrust vectoring! - is a bit nerve racking!
I feel you man, feel like that when I maiden new birds that fly different from what I am used to flying :).

Headbang

Master member
The x-29 was my second FT build, at the time I did not think it was complicated. I only have realized it later as I build simpler planes. I will finish it soon. Once I get back to it and install the tv system, rest is less then an hr.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The x-29 was my second FT build, at the time I did not think it was complicated. I only have realized it later as I build simpler planes. I will finish it soon. Once I get back to it and install the tv system, rest is less then an hr.
Thee are a couple hurdles I need to jump through to get the tv working, so I plan on maidening it without the tv and then adding it if the maiden goes well.